Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
mesquitecountry

Last Activity: 06-23-2010
 @ 08:34 PM 
Default Heart Attack is Down!

Heart Attack

Shortness of Breath. Elevated Heart Rate. Uncontrollable Nerves. These are symptoms of heart attack victims. Some times in life there are moments that can duplicate these symptoms. These symptoms are most often duplicated by a hunter seeing a buck of a lifetime. Either a 10 year olds first spike, a weekend hunters first 140” buck, or a seasoned veteran with many Boone and Crockett’s under their belt. Here is the story of mine.

As I sat down to write this story I pondered on when this story should actually begin. I’ve decided that it should be best told from the beginning. From the first moment I laid eyes on a beautiful 3.5 yr 8 point that I estimated to score in the high 140’s. The buck was very determined at an early age that he was going to fight to be a dominant herd buck, taking on every mature buck around the rut. Almost every year breaking off at least one if not several tines and disappearing for months on end around the time of the rut.

In December 2003 a friend of the family was sitting in the stand where he frequented and saw a large 6 point buck. He called to get confirmation for the go ahead to shoot. It was agreed that he was to be shot and the conversation ended. Immediately it was realized what 6 point the hunter was looking at! Immediately a call was placed back to the hunter to stand down from shooting the 3.5 yr old 8 point that I had nicknamed “Heart Attack.” This story was almost over before it even started! All season long we videoed and took many beautiful pictures of this magnificent young buck. We knew that if we let him age he would be the deer that dreams were made of.

The buck survived the season and as a 4.5 year old he absolutely blew up in 2004. He was a main frame 10 point with two mule deer forks scoring 171” gross B&C (which was determined the following season after we found his shed horns). We realized it was him from the half moon scar that he had on his back right leg that he had received from a fight the previous year. Scoring as high as he did made us look long and hard at him, questioning whether or not we should shoot him. We decided that we would be robbing this deer if we shot this deer at such a young age and the decision was collectively made to let him pass. Again this season we took lots of photographs and hours of video of the magnificent buck. This season the bucks maturing age changed his pattern. Around the end of November the monster adolescent buck disappeared until the end of January. Not a single sighting in that two month period. This became to be his pattern over the next few years and was always nerve racking wondering where he was. A high note to end the season my sister connected on a beautiful 17 point 181” 8.5 year old heavy horned brute. The buck was an absolute beauty that won her several jackets and was the new Berger Ranch Record.

Finally we made it to the 2005-2006 season and we knew “Heart Attack” was going to be 5.5 yrs old or better. When he showed up on our first game cameras as only a main frame 9 point with 1 kicker we were starting to get a bit worried that he had already gone backwards and was past his prime. We debated back and forth. Over and over before the season we debated, it was decided that we should roll the dice one more time.
To take our mind off of the big buck my brother and I connected on two beautiful bucks on the same morning on the second weekend of November. My brother killed a monster 196” 19 point 6.5 year old buck. That same morning I connected on my first ever archery buck, a beautiful main frame 8 point with two kickers and double drops scoring 149” and change. The NAP Spitfire found its mark and left a gaping hole in both sides. We definitely did well that morning and that season. It was my most memorable morning hunts ever. After the season I was blessed to find both sets of sheds from my double drop tine and the matching sheds to my brothers 196” after the season from the 04-05 season.

It seemed like the 2006-2007 season was never going to get here. In March I was blessed by marriage to my beautiful wife Callie. She has showed the utmost support while I’ve been off traipsing through the brush. She truly is my best friend and one in a million.

The summer months went by slowly and I was on pins and needles waiting to see what “Heart Attack” was going to do this season. We had ample rain fall and the stage was set. I had geared up all season long preparing to take him this past season. We knew that he was 6.5 years old, which was our age minimum for taking trophy whitetail bucks. He was a beautiful main frame 10 point with one long abnormal point growing off the back of his right G2. He was the right age and we knew he was going to be in the 180’s. I was pumped. I practiced long and hard all off-season honing my shooting skills. I was ready. The only problem was I was not going to get to hunt last October much due to work and other obligations. I setup to make a run at taking him the opening weekend of general season with my bow.

I packed my bags and was out the door early that Friday getting myself psyched up to take a deer of a lifetime. The moment I walked into the house at our ranch my Dad looked at me with an extremely sad look on his face. He told me, “I don’t know how to tell you this and you probably won’t believe me, but, “Heart Attack” has broken off both of his browtines.” He had video to prove it and I was absolutely sick to my stomach. Dad looked at me and said, “It’s your call.” I pondered for a few minutes and realized that he was 6.5 years old and most likely he was never going to get any better. Without a doubt in my mind I told him that I was going to pass on him for this season. I rolled the dice yet again. We went the entire months of December and January without seeing him. I was almost certain he was dead from fighting. Luckily the last weekend of Spike and Doe season I caught a glimpse of him and saw that he was very much alive and healthy. I assumed that a 5.5 year old six point was the culprit of the crime committed against “Heart Attack” so I sought vengeance for him. I ended up taking him with my rifle and also took a management 5.5 year old buck that had a dwarfed set of horns on one side. My NAP Spitfire once again left a gaping hole with an excellent blood trail, dispatching the animal very quickly. He scored in at 128” respectably. My brother also connected on his first ever archery kill. A 4.5 year old 132” management 8 point buck. My sister also connected on a 7.5 year old 152” main frame 8 point with mule deer forks. All in all it was a successful season.

Greatest Smiley Ever
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
mesquitecountry

Last Activity: 06-23-2010
 @ 08:34 PM 

Now after rolling the dice for the second time already I knew that this Bow season was going to be the last stitch effort at taking this deer in his prime. The off-season blessed the Texas country side with more than abundant rainfall and browse. To top it off my dad found both sides to “Heart Attack’s” sheds in late April. We confirmed what we had thought and scored him estimating his final score adding in his broken tines to be 183-186” gross B&C. He was a real brute. Finding the second set of sheds was the icing on the cake. Once again the summer drug on and I found little time to practice with my bow. At the last minute in August I decided to purchase a new bow. I bought a Bowtech Tribute and immediately went to work getting it broke in. It took me some time getting used to but, once I had it in tune I was sailing arrows into my targets one on top of another. Rob Schneider got me hooked up with a homemade string suppressor and bowjax gear, and my newly acquired Victory Arrows. With my new Victory arrows tipped with my NAP spitfires I was ready. The down side was “Heart Attack” was not showing himself on the trail cameras anywhere.

The months of July and August went by without a sighting and I became worried sick that he was dead. I finally got confirmation that he was alive on our Moultrie I 60. I breathed a sigh of relief after first seeing him on our trail cams in late August. I went almost another entire month later until the second sighting. This was September 19th. My Dad called me about 10:00 pm on the 21st and told me he had an awesome picture and that he looked huge. With nervous anticipation I walked him through emailing me a picture over the phone for almost an hour. It was well worth the wait! He was a beautiful main frame 10 with 3 kickers. I thought that he was very similar to last season and figured he would go in the low 180’s. I finally had his pattern by using the lunar and time from the Moultrie and compared him to the lunar charts.

Bubba Ammann with the Texas Whitetail Classic was wanting for me to take him on camera for the 2nd Annual Texas Whitetail Classic DVD. Bubba and I setup to try and get a shot at him opening weekend but had no luck. It was too hot and deer were simply not moving. The following week I setup to take vacation from work in relation to the same lunar time that he was at the stand this past September and I setup to take him again on video. This time Bubba was unable to come down so, my Dad stepped in as cameraman with Bubba’s camera.

Thursday morning came and went without a sighting. We saw a very nice 150” 4.5 year old buck with a broken drop and a nice 130” management 8 point but not “Heart Attack.”
That afternoon my buddy Anthony Weeaks showed up and we hung around camp, fished a little and shot a few bows. My Dad is brand new to bow hunting and has only fired about 50 shots in his life. I handed down to him my 2001 Mathews Q2 and got it rigged up to fit him. He was shooting with decent groups. I told him to back up to 25 yards and take a couple of shots and then move back up to 20 and his groups would tighten up. Low and behold after he moved up to twenty yards he robin hooded for the first time. I immediately told him that it was our good luck charm along with the drawing my wife sent with me of me shooting my big buck. We took quick showers and cleaned up and we were off to the stands.

It was hot that afternoon. Deer were moving late. A couple of our regular bucks showed up about 6:30 and milled about. At 7:10 my dad looked down a long sendero to my left that I could not see. He said that’s him! He took his time meandering down the sendero and finally walked up to within 45 yards and stopped for a second. I looked at him one time to verify it was him and then looked back down for the fear that I was going to get buck fever and would have been unable to shoot. A couple of seconds later he walked just within my bow range for a big buck. For a minute or two a young fawn moved in between me and him without me getting a clear shot. Knowing that light was getting dim I knew I had to take a shot when I had one. The fawn cleared and I ranged him at 31 yards. I set my pin to 26 yards to compensate for the drop and tried to steady my shaking hand while putting my release on my loop. I drew back and he turned perfectly with a slight quartering away angle. I released my arrow from my Tribute and sent it down its path of destiny. The victory arrow tipped with my spitfire hit its mark. He bounded off into the brush with all the signs of a vital organ hit. My dad looked at me in disbelief and told me that he was a monster and had got it all on video.

We pulled out of the stand quietly and walked back to camp. We watched the video and felt that the shot was good and decided to wait two hours before going back to trail him. Good Friend Matt Patek showed up about 8:45 ready to help out with the tracking. After the two hour wait we headed out with all the flashlights we could find.
At 9:45 we picked up his trail and followed it for 50 yards and the blood just simply ran out. My heart sank! I knew immediately that the best thing to do was to pull out and call in some tracking dogs. I called Courtney Farris but she was unable to make it down that night because she was over 3 hours away and offered to show up the following morning. I told her I was going to try to get someone tonight but I would let her know. I thanked her and called Roy Hindes next but got his voicemail on his cell phone. By this time texasbowhunter.com was blowing up with the story of me getting an arrow in him and people were calling and texting me wishing me good luck. Good Friend Joe Jasek called me up and offered me Roy’s house phone number. Reluctantly I called his house being that it was already 10:30. Roy answered the phone and we decided that it would be best if he drove in tonight.

Roy arrived at the house we exchanged greetings, looked over the video and immediately went to the stand. Soon after “Gus” (Roy’s Head Track Dog) was released he was quickly on the trail. After wandering through the brush we realized where we went wrong tracking. “Heart Attack” back tracked and circled around on us and headed east. The entire time we were headed north. Roy and I were in front with the rest of the gang in tow. Just as soon as Roy had us stop moving and listen to hear for Gus biting at the deer’s rump my Dad and Matt sounded off immediately that they heard him. We took a few steps through the brush and I peaked over a white brush bush to see the deer of a lifetime lying on the ground dead! I exclaimed there he was and barreled through the brush to get my hands on him. Immediately I knew he was larger than what we had thought. Roy exclaimed that he was the largest deer he had ever found and in my mind I knew he was going to break 190.

I gutted him there in the field and we drug him through the dense South Texas underbrush, barreling through thick white brush and cactus the whole way. We were exhausted after the 60 yard drag. We got him to the truck and everyone gave a round of high fives and the celebration began. Tons of pictures and video followed with everyone staring in awe at this beautiful South Texas Monarch.

His final score varied between scorers. But his official measurement from Boone & Crockett was 194 3/8, with his highest score going 196 2/8. He carried a magnificent frame, 27 ½” wide, matching 29” main beams 13” tines, 34” of mass; field dressed a whopping 198 pounds. He is all you could ask for and more. Truly a buck of a lifetime! The best part was that I got to sit in a stand with the man that got me started hunting while he filmed me taking the deer of a lifetime. Thanks Dad.

Big thanks goes out to everyone on www.texasbowhunter.com for encouraging me on and standing by our side all night long as we looked for this brute. A special thanks goes out to Roy Hindes, “Gus”, Joe Jasek, Matt Patek, Anthony Weeaks, Bubba Ammann, Courtney Farris, Dad, and anyone else I may have forgotten. This truly is one of the greatest moments of my life.

Thank you all for letting me share it with you.

Here's the good stuff!

lsba pic.jpg

Greatest Smiley Ever
mesquitecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Sweet story, and even sweeter deer. Congrats.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

thats a great deer Congrats
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Graybow

Last Activity: 09-28-2014
 @ 11:25 PM 

WOW! Thats a great deer. Congradulations.
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Bill M
Super Moderator

Last Activity: 06-22-2018
 @ 01:32 PM 

Congrats again on a great buck Travis.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
Ledjadji Safaris

LSBA Region: LP
Send a message via MSN to Ledjadji Safaris
Last Activity: 04-18-2013
 @ 01:34 AM 

Great Story and congrats on the buck!
Ledjadji Safaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Huntinfool

Last Activity: 09-07-2010
 @ 04:12 PM 

Congrats on the buck of a lifetime, great things do come to those who wait.
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Really enjoyed reading the story, awesome buck. It sounds like you have one of the best places on the planet to hunt. I am a little jealous.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Eric4x4

Last Activity: 07-09-2009
 @ 09:11 PM 

Great story and awesome deer.
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Hunt Quest
Sponsor Member

LSBA Region: 81
Last Activity: 03-26-2011
 @ 11:42 PM 

Congrats on an awesome buck!!
Hunt Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:22 AM   #12
social123

@ 06:00 PM 

Good news for you and your family! Well, I just remembered this kind of incident that happened to my grandfather in the year 2000. He died of heart attack caused by a heated argument with one of his neighbors. Everything was a shock to us and it gave us a clear reminder- to take care of you health all the time.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
SANDBAGGER

Last Activity: 07-16-2011
 @ 06:59 AM 

Congratulations on a great buck..........
SANDBAGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
rockco222

Last Activity: 07-14-2009
 @ 01:01 AM 

Great buck
rockco222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #15
GeorgeClooney

Last Activity: 10-07-2009
 @ 07:07 AM 

great story