Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 
Default Crossbows

Now that they will be in the bow season. Are we going to start hitting them up to be members? Maybe get some crossbow sponsors? Make the best of it....
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

What do you suggest Kevin?!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
bustedassranch

Getting some crossbows from them. Teaching the youth/public the proper way to use them. Printing out stuff for the youth events to lay on the tables with facts & myths about them. You know like you cant shoot out 70 yards on an animal. Teaching them if they choose to use them how to do it ethically. Hitting up the x-bow companies for money to help support us. I am looking at it as an open door to more resources & a chance to educate other folks about them.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
bustedassranch

35 views......Dont everyone speak at once..............
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
DoubleJ

Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

The Lone Star Bowhunter Association is committed to preserving and promoting BOWHUNTING in the State of Texas.

Anyone who meets the requirements of the newly passed by-laws is welcomed to join the LSBA.

5. MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS: Membership shall be granted to a bowhunter or supporter who:
a. Has satisfactorily completed a membership application;
b. Has made payment of membership fees to the LSBA;
c. Follows, in the strictest sense, the Bowhunter’s Code of Ethics;
d. Hunts or supports hunting with hand held and hand drawn archery equipment (Longbows, Recurve bows or Compound Bows).

We will not be using crossbows in our youth shoots, allowing them in our 3-D tournaments, or accepting game harvested by crossbow in TBBR.

The law simply allows crossbows to be used in what once was the Special Archery season. That's fine. They won. It still doesn't make them archery equipment.

The time may come that we change these policies but that time is not now.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
mitch

Last Activity: 11-22-2011
 @ 09:47 AM 

I do not care for crossbows, but to say they are not archery equipment is wrong. The crossbow was used long before the compound. One is vertical and one is horizontal, just a little modification to one. I agree LSBA has the right to not allow the use of crossbows at the events under their control.
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

BAR - the LSBA doesn't own or operate any 3D ranges. We rely on independant archery clubs to host our Regional/State shoots and most (if not all) of those clubs do not allow crossbows. I have asked on other boards and gotten no response, does anyone know of any archery clubs in Texas that currently allow crossbows on their 3D range?

Our backstops will barely stop arrows out of the 20# Genesis bows...we couldn't shoot crossbows at most youth events safely if we wanted to. For these and other safety concerns, you probably won't be seeing any crossbows at our youth events.

Also, as Jack mentioned, our role is to promote hunting with archery equipment...that hasn't changed. Some of us feel that this role could be even more important today & in the future as many hunters will simply take the fastest road to October.

As to promoting safety, responsibility, & equipment limitations to future crossbowhunters, I agree that it will be important. The IBEP/NBEF has a booklet and class specifically for crossbowhunters. I think that the LSBA should leave that to the Bowhunter Education people and TPWD to figure out.

Maybe it's time for someone to form a "Lone Star Crossbow Association" to represent all these "new hunters". I'd be happy to work side-by-side with this group to stop more weapons from being added to the October season.

Looks like www.texascrossbowhunter.com might have some answers in the near future.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope

Last edited by tinman; 06-10-2009 at 01:23 AM..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
bustedassranch

All I can say is wow....
I am speechless..
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

The LSBA was established by bowhunters with a certain vision in mind. That vision was focused on hand held and hand drawn archery equipment. Why would we want to violate that vision?

You know this infiltration by the crossbow is a slap in the face of the founders of the LSBA and those who fought so hard to get the archery season established. Visionaries like Bob Lee, Ed Foreman, Ron Collier and others. Important contributors of the Texas archery heritage.

Old coot in training

Last edited by LostHawg; 06-10-2009 at 10:32 PM..
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
tinman

Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedassranch View Post
All I can say is wow....
I am speechless..
We know you better than that.

Please feel free to speak your mind on the topic here, after all you obviously have something to say. Without fighting & name calling, let's hear what your feelings are on the subject.

What is it that you (as a member) think that the LSBA should do?
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
bustedassranch

As soon as I can tastefully put it in words as to not piss off too many people I will.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

I am no longer a member of the EC so my opinion is mine and mine alone.

I do not believe that a X-bow is a bow and am very disappointed to see them in October. How ever if a kid shows up at my house wanting to learn to shoot one I will help him as best I can. That said I do the same thing with kids with their new Christmas rifle. It is not the obligation of the LSBA to train folks to shoot X bows any more than it is our responsibility to train gun hunters.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
NDNRoger

Last Activity: 11-02-2010
 @ 10:28 AM 

OMG....

Are you aware that the LSBA is a 501.3.c non profit designed to fight for bow hunters rights in Texas? Do you know that we must follow the By-Laws, part of which Jack posted?

The LSBA is not just your ordinary club. If you wish to be a member of an ordinary club that accepts x-bows with open arms, you can excercise your right to join one. If there are none out there then you can always start one. If you do not like the direction the LSBA has laid down, you can either step up and volunteer and attempt to work change from the inside, drop the issue and get over it, or don't renew your membership.

Those are your adult choices. Now act like an adult and excercise one!
NDNRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #14
bustedassranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNRoger View Post
OMG....

Are you aware that the LSBA is a 501.3.c non profit designed to fight for bow hunters rights in Texas? Do you know that we must follow the By-Laws, part of which Jack posted?

The LSBA is not just your ordinary club. If you wish to be a member of an ordinary club that accepts x-bows with open arms, you can excercise your right to join one. If there are none out there then you can always start one. If you do not like the direction the LSBA has laid down, you can either step up and volunteer and attempt to work change from the inside, drop the issue and get over it, or don't renew your membership.

Your right....

d.to provide training for others in safety, shooting skill and hunting techniques;

or how about this one?

d.hunts with archery equipment that meets the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department’s requirements. The LSBA recommends that the heaviest bow that can be handled with accuracy be used in the hunting of large game.

This association no matter how big will only be as strong as the members that participate. When the members that participate get scrutinized on any idea they bring up I.E. the things I brought up on the magazine or this idea to help raise public awareness & money for us, you will just have members. Your right though, I made my "adult choice".
Old 06-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNRoger View Post
OMG....

That might be a little harsh