Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #16
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

Kevin:

As a member of the EC who is elected by the membership of the association, I appreciate your questions, membership, participation in the LSBA and welcome your suggestions! The By-Laws you quoted are the previous By-Laws which were recently amended by a vote of the membership. As Jack indicated, at this time, the LSBA's position on crossbows remains the same.

I personally hope that you will continue to support the LSBA even though we may not see eye to eye on this point.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any suggestions or questions you have concerning the LSBA. I cannot promise you that they will be implemented or that we will agree, but I can promise you I will listen to what the members have to say.

Thank you for supporting the LSBA!
Dena

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #17
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Quote:
Do you think crossbows should be allowed during archery season?
No
221 --------------!------ 72%

Yes
81 -----!---------------- 26.4%

Undecided
5 -!---------------------- 1.6%
This is the online "voice" of the membership on this matter.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 

I was voting no everyday... Heck I even wrote our Governor. It's not that I want them in Oct. They are there now our voice was not loud enough. Like I said before we are only as strong as the members that participate no matter how many "members" we have.

Last edited by bustedassranch; 06-12-2009 at 10:32 AM..
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
LostHawg

I think Travis was voting "Yes" on everyday, so he evened you out.

Old coot in training
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Kevin, have you seen who is getting into the x-bows? I was at my local archery shop yesterday, and they said that they have not sold 1 x-bow since this passed. Do we have gun hunters now starting to hunt the archery season or is it hunters that have always hunted the archery season now changing to a x-bow? Gun hunters will care less about a archery season wheither they use a x-bow or can use a gun. This is my opinion as a person, not as a LSBA Rep. Bob
Old 06-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #21
LostHawg

I suspect Bob's gonna have his work cut out for him.

I bet you could rig a crossbow stock to house a 44 mag.

Old coot in training
Old 06-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #22
bustedassranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSTER View Post
Kevin, have you seen who is getting into the x-bows? I was at my local archery shop yesterday, and they said that they have not sold 1 x-bow since this passed. Do we have gun hunters now starting to hunt the archery season or is it hunters that have always hunted the archery season now changing to a x-bow? Gun hunters will care less about a archery season wheither they use a x-bow or can use a gun. This is my opinion as a person, not as a LSBA Rep. Bob
Thats what I am trying to say. I live 15 minutes from Cabela's I LIVE in the archery department. They are telling me crossbow sales have not gone up as of yet. That is what scares me is un-educated gun hunters thinking a crossbow will shoot out 70-80 yards. Hell dont embrace crossbows, but lets do the right thing for the animals. I dont want crossbows in October, I know it was a hard fight to get our own season. That season is now shared with everybody & their dog. Does anybody here see Texas changing that law? Ever? Even if they do, how MLD's? It just seems to me that we are barking up the wrong tree. Lets use it to our advantage. You folks have a great weekend.

I am going to try to piss off PETA this weekend with hog dogging. I hope to have Colton's first knife Kill. I will post pictures.
Kevin
Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Good luck with the Hog doggin, cannot wait for the pics. Bob
Old 06-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #24
LostHawg

Hog doggin is on my list of things to do. BAR, I look forward to some pics too.

Old coot in training
Old 06-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #25
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

I guess my two bits worth is let crossbow shooters start the LSCBA (Lonestarcrossbowassociation) and promote hunter safety, ethics, etc. As one who opposed for 16 years the efforsts of crossbow manufacturers to shove this down our throat, I feel no need to spend our time or energy trying to educate, lazy, slob hunters who feel that they can pick up a crossbow and shoot a deer with it at 100 yards.

Crossbow ethics and limitations SHOULD BE TAUGHT BY PARKS AND WILDLIFE AS PART OF THE MANDATORY HUNTER SAFETY COURSE. That way it would eventually reach all new hunters. Besides with the promised hordes of new crossbow hunters bringing in huge buckets of new license revenues to Parks and Wildlife, they should have lots of extra money for this. Shouldn't they?? If not, perhaps the legislature who bought the arguments that this would provide so much more in the way of revenues should fund special training courses.

I think part of this discussion is whether or not LSBA should welcome crossbow shooters into the ranks of LSBA, and/or do we have a duty/burden to recruit them and teach them how to best and most ethically use their equipment. In my opinion the answer to both of those questions is no.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
Walking_Eagle

Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

This my two cents!
The legislature introduced a bill to make the X-bow legal in Archery Season.
The LSBA was the ONLY archery association in the State of Texas to attempt to stop this bill.
The bill passed, leaving the following options:
1. Use a crossbow or not.
2. Landowners allow crossbows or not.
3. Bowhunters allow crossbows on their lease or not.
4. Texas Bowhunting and archery associations by-laws allow the crossbow or not.
5. Take up golf.

This subject is a moot point now and has been rode hard and put up wet. I think it is time to move on to more important current matters that must be dealt with such as:
1. Election of new LSBA Exective Council Members for the coming year.
2. A new editor for the LSBA magazine. (very important)
3. A new Banquet chairperson
4. Membership recruitment methods ( on-going for 35 years)
Your input and ideas would be most welcome to the current and future LSBA E.C., and would be a lot more productive for the growth of our association than wasting time on a dead horse.
Ron Collier Records Chairman
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
DEER KILLER

Send a message via AIM to DEER KILLER
Last Activity: 02-12-2013
 @ 05:30 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
The LSBA was established by bowhunters with a certain vision in mind. That vision was focused on hand held and hand drawn archery equipment. Why would we want to violate that vision?

You know this infiltration by the crossbow is a slap in the face of the founders of the LSBA and those who fought so hard to get the archery season established. Visionaries like Bob Lee, Ed Foreman, Ron Collier and others. Important contributors of the Texas archery heritage.
I need to teach Von Evans how to use the internet.

Kyle Scott
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #28
Thump1

Last Activity: 07-19-2009
 @ 03:59 PM 

This almost sounds like a defeatist attitude, like you're giving up. If Washington had had the same we would have never won our independence. I wouldn't give up and make it easy and cost free just because we lost the first few rounds. PA is working hard, they have replaced two crossbow supporters on their game commission and now have a very good chance of reversing the crossbow for money agenda in PA.

You're right about the crossbow being in the minority as support for the crossbow is not being represented by actual crossbow hunters. Its running almost 7 to 1 against the crossbow being allowed during archery seasons. This ratio also runs the same with managers of our public hunting properties. Most public land managers will work to keep the crossbow out of archery season if we just give them the support and data to do so. When they learn there are no crossbow clubs teaching crossbow safety and that crossbow safety was not taught in Hunters Ed even managers that would support the crossbow issue have second thoughts.

The NRA and ATA have to pay a price, boycott. If they don't this will never end until all 50 states are included into their crossbow for money agenda.

Last edited by Thump1; 06-16-2009 at 11:52 AM..
Thump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #29
bustedassranch

I dont think I am giving up. & the comments about beating a dead horse & drop it & their more important things sounds more like giving up to me. If this is such a dead horse why is it such a heated topic? As far as PA goes Jack our Pres that is doing a good job I might add once said he was not keeping up with stuff in other states so I dont have much to say about them. I have & will continue to make youth shoots & get bows in the hands of kids & adults that have not shot a bow before. If people want to bash me because I have different views...thats cool we live in the best state in the best country on earth. It is their right to do that just as it is my right to post my views. I would like to remind people that this is a public forum. Everyone can read all comments on here. If you think TP&W or the same senators & reps that we write dont look on here you are a little off. I chose to post this subject here to talk to our members that do visit, but lets keep in mind not all visitors are members.
Ron I still try to bring in new members. Just ask Jack. Our guest speaker at the banquet was not a member. I took the time to give him a magazine & membership application & talked to him about becoming a member in the line after his speech.

Last edited by bustedassranch; 06-16-2009 at 01:06 PM..
Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #30
Walking_Eagle

Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

BAR,
No one in the leadership of the LSBA now or the past has ever given up on any issue that effects our sport. As president, two terms, and legislative chairman years ago, I bear the scars of dealing with the early years of anti-bowhunting that was dealt mostly by TP&W and County Commissioners Court. We won some of the battles, lost a few, and had to make some concessions along the way to maintain the "Special Archery Season", which began in the early '60's on a limited basis of 9 counties in the hillcountry.
I was a part of the conception and beginning of the LSBA in 1974. I still serve the LSBA to the best of my ability.
I seldom express my views on this website, but when I do, you can bet your S.A. they are from experience, not a defeatish attitude.
I do agree with you on one thing, Jack Jetton has done a fine job dealing with the problems this past year, and I am glad he has signed up for another year.
Ron Collier
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote