Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 
Default Texas Game Warden Justin Hurst update

AUSTIN, Texas – A Wharton County jury took just two-and-a-half hours this afternoon to return a verdict of “guilty, capital murder” in the trial of 27-year-old James Garrett Freeman, of Lissie, who shot and killed Texas Game Warden Justin Hurst March 17, 2007.

The sentencing phase of the trial will begin Tuesday, and Wharton County District Attorney Josh McCown has indicated he will seek the death penalty.

“We are all very relieved by the verdict that was rendered by the jury today,” said Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Executive Director Carter Smith. “It is a fitting decision given the horrific nature of the crime committed against our colleague, Texas Game Warden Justin Hurst. Our prayers and thoughts remain with Justin’s wife and son, and with his parents and family, as they continue to cope with his loss.”

Freeman was suspected of poaching, and opened fire on Hurst and other law enforcement officers following a high-speed police chase on the eve of the game warden’s 34th birthday. Hurst died early the next morning at Hermann Memorial Hospital in Houston, leaving behind a wife and infant son.

Seventeen game wardens have died in the line of duty since 1919.

“We feel for the families that were affected by the senseless killing of Game Warden Justin Hurst and are grateful that in the end, justice was served,” said Col. Pete Flores, TPWD’s Law Enforcement Division director.

Hurst began his TPWD career as a wildlife biologist and spent six years at the 15,612-acre wildlife management area formerly known as Peach Point WMA. The wildlife management area, where Hurst conducted research on mottled ducks and other wildlife, was renamed in his honor Oct. 12, 2007.

Hurst graduated from the 48th Texas Game Warden Academy in August 2002, and after a year in Brazos County transferred to Wharton County.

EDITORS: Photos of Justin Hurst and of the Justin Hurst WMA dedication are available on the TPWD Web site at: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/news_images/?g=justin_hurst_wma_dedication
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

thanks.........
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
JavelinaRuss

LSBA Region: 77
Send a message via AIM to JavelinaRuss Send a message via Yahoo to JavelinaRuss
Last Activity: 11-22-2015
 @ 08:49 PM 

Any news on the punishment phase?

I'm all for the sport of hunting by any legal means possible........

JavelinaRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

Unanimous death sentence
Wharton County jury gives game warden's killer the ultimate penalty

Quote:
WHARTON - Garrett Freeman should pay with his life for killing Game Warden Justin Hurst, all 12 members of a Wharton County jury said on Friday.
The death penalty sentence came after the same jury of nine women and three men found Freeman guilty of capital murder on Monday for shooting Hurst on March 17, 2007.

The jury deliberated about 13 hours before reaching a sentencing verdict. The jury notified District Judge Randy Clapp about 1:15 p.m. that a verdict had been reached. The panel began deliberations about 11:40 a.m. Thursday and quit at 8 p.m. before resuming again at 8:30 a.m. Friday.

Hurst and Freeman family members exchanged hugs and shared tears after the trial was adjourned.

In a victim impact statement following the verdict announcement, Amanda Hurst, Justin Hurst's widow, speaking directly to Garrett Freeman, ended with "I want you and your family to know I pray for them and the anguish you've caused. I pray for you, too."

The victim impact statements were an emotional ending to three weeks of proceedings. Justin Hurst's parents, Allen and Pat Hurst, also spoke directly to the defendant.

Pat Hurst compared and contrasted the choices that her son, 34 when he died, and Freeman, now 27, made out of high school. After talking about education and jobs, she concentrated on the night her son died.

"On the night on March 16, 2007, you chose to run from a misdemeanor ticket. You chose to shoot at police officers . you chose to deliberately shoot and kill my son," she said. "Justin chose to try and stop the carnage. Justin chose to give his life to save others."

The episode began that night when Freeman chose not to stop when Game Warden Scott Blackburn tried to give him a ticket for shooting from the roadway. Almost an hour and a half later, with seven law enforcement officers behind him, Freeman stopped his truck in Lissie Cemetery, not far from where he lived, and opened fire. Hurst was killed in the shoot out.

Allen Hurst, as part of his victim impact statement, read a prepared statement that reiterated the phrase "I had a son."

It concluded with, "I had a son whose life was taken at an early age by a poacher for a reason only that person will ever know. I had a son who made a difference in so many lives by the way he treated people. I had a son who was called by God to oversee His wildlife and waterfowl. Yes, I had quite a son. God, how I miss him," his father said.

Wharton County District Attorney Josh McCown said after the trial, "The evidence supported this verdict. After you get what you work so hard to achieve, you look at the situation and try to understand it and you can't. It's never one of those things that make you happy or glad. It's just sad. That's how I feel."

Freeman's defense attorney Stanley Schneider knew he was fighting an uphill battle.

"This is a death penalty case. It's hard to overcome the violence shown in the video," Schneider said.

A death penalty sentence is automatically appealed, Clapp explained. Schneider said he would inform the court next week if he would be Freeman's appellate attorney.

The jury could have decided on a sentence of life in prison without parole if it thought there were mitigating circumstances that contributed to the crime. Life without parole became an option for juries in capital murder cases in 2005. Prior to then, convicted capital murderers were eligible for parole after 40 years.

Wharton County last had a capital murder case in 1996, when it had two. Both were tried and won by McCown and were the first two cases he tried after his appointment as district attorney in October 1995. He won re-election as DA on Tuesday.

In the Freeman case, Kelly Siegler, a former Harris County prosecutor of more than 20 years who lost a bid for that county's district attorney's position earlier this year, assisted McCown.

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote