Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Curtis

Last Activity: 11-14-2010
 @ 03:45 PM 
Default A new dilema for me

I got asked to help in something that would put kids into hunting. I'm all for that. They wanted help with taking some of them bow hunting. But my problem is that this is ONLY for men and boys.

No adults that just never hunted.
No women. No mothers and daughters or fathers and daughters.

I got asked because I have experience with bow hunters to help out. And when I asked them about this they said that this was the way they felt lead to go. I asked them what if I could get some women adult sponsors to help out on this. They didn't really seem to be too happy with that or to thrilled about it.

Should I just keep my mouth shut and participate anyway and help out anyway I can? I'm kind of turned off about it because its excluding some.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
DoubleJ

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

If you're turned off about it I wouldn't do it unless they can give you a satisfactory reason for excluding others.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I'm with Jack on this, and I'll bet they can't give a good reason exclude the others.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Curtis, I have been involved in our Game Warden Assocation Youth hunt now for 15 years. It started out the same way due to not wanting to mix boys and girls together. Made it easier that way also. Then we started getting some girls that wanted to go but still were not sure about it. We finally made the switch, and have not looked back. I would tell you to go this year, and maybe you will be able to talk with some others that feel the same way as you and that might be a turing point. If you do not get anywhere after that, then follow your heart. Bob
Old 09-15-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
BearOmni

Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni
Last Activity: 08-23-2010
 @ 11:16 PM 

What kind of group is it?
Is it a church mens club?
Is it a group that is stressing the fathers roll in a childs life?

These might be good reasons to exclude females.
Sometimes its difficult to mix young boys and girls and it might just be easier to have boys only.

maybe suggest to the group that you would also be willing to guide on a girls only weekend for moms and daughters???
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Good advise above can't really add more other than if you don't like something get on board and change it!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Curtis

Well I had a good conversation with these people today. I don't agree 100% with their views on it so I pretty much just wished them the best of luck with it and gave them some names of some other ranches to try and get involved.

I really would have liked to work with this group if it was more family based but some of the reasons they gave me for what they were doing just didn't feel right. It kind of made me feel like there was some kind of hidden ajenda other and not just its face value.

The things they wanted me to do were not something I totally agreed with and I talked them about that and they asked me what I would like to try and they didn't agree with doing it that way. It was kind like beating heads together but producing nothing.

I told them I would rather work with something that was fully family based. The attitude of some of the guys was pretty disturbing to me. One of the men that was talking with me said that he felt that women had no place outdoors and that was just the men's thing to do. I asked him where the stuff is for the women to do and he kind just huffed his breath about it and shrugged.

I pretty much disagreed to that. I felt I had to. I take my daughter hunting and she loves it. It meant so much to me I even wrote an little story about it a few years ago about a turkey hunt we did together. I really felt I would have been a hipocrit to go do something like that with people that felt differently than I on this subject. I know its important to teach kids outdoors, but this group made me feel that it was teaching it was only good for the men and boys to go do it. How would that have made my daughter think of me? Yeah she's 8 now and my son 6. I want to do something that involves them as much as possible. Especially with outdoors activities and especially hunting because that is what they want to do with me every time I go out.

Afterwards I had a hard time thinking what my family would think about this. So I approached my wife and talked it over with her. She seemed to kind of feel the same way I do about it. We would both rather be involved with something that our kids could mentor us on. I dont want kids thinking there is hunting and outdoors stuff to do that is OK for dad only and not for mom or the kids. Its just not what I think is for me.

So I had to say no. Maybe I will get my "man card" revoked for that I don't know. I hated that we couldn't see eye to eye on some of the things but a lot of the stuff that was very important to me in values in ethics and and how a person should be was not there from what I had seen. This group really hasn't even come up with a name yet to call their operation so I don't know how far they will go. It seems they got the money to back up what they are doing.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

You can keep your Man Card, you did what is right in your HEART.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
DoubleJ

Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

Nope. Gotta agree with Ronnie. It takes a man to stick to his principals. You will sleep better knowing you did.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Curtis, I feel you did the right thing. I thought that they wanted you to come onto another ranch and help them out. This person sounds like my neighbor down on the corner. Keep your Man Card, and continue to take your children and wife along with other children. Bob
Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Thought about it (pray), seeked counsel (wife), made decision. Good Job and don't look back!! Come on a LSBA hunt sometime, wifes and daughters are welcome!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSTER View Post
Curtis, I feel you did the right thing. I thought that they wanted you to come onto another ranch and help them out. This person sounds like my neighbor down on the corner. Keep your Man Card, and continue to take your children and wife along with other children. Bob
Yeah they did want me to go help on another ranch. And they wanted me to do some stuff here on mine and maybe a few other ranches I have here in my area. It would have involved a lot of my time but that wasn't what really made my desicion. I really didn't have too much of a problem with the idea of doing it out here on my place except that it could only be done for small groups and they want a big place where archery and rifle can be done together along with trap shooting and stuff like that.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggen View Post
Thought about it (pray), seeked counsel (wife), made decision. Good Job and don't look back!! Come on a LSBA hunt sometime, wifes and daughters are welcome!!
I'm going to try to do that. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

I am sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but it looks like it worked out for the best.

Curtis, I am proud of you. You did the right thing. Having daughters I am a little bias to this type of eletisim.

You know why they don't want to mix the boys and the girls....it is hard on little boy egos when the girls out hunt them.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
BearOmni

Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni
Last Activity: 08-23-2010
 @ 11:16 PM 

Good call Curtis! Your man card is safe brother.
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote