Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Rate the Day Lease / Outfitter
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
DaveS903

Last Activity: 10-12-2011
 @ 06:41 AM 
Default Brushy Creek Wilderness

I've posted this elsewhere, but I am REALLY pumped about my first bow kill!

I just got in from a weekend hog hunt at Brushy Creek Wilderness near Palestine (http://archeryhoghunts.com). The outfitter, Roger Daly, runs a great place and he and his crew will do whatever it takes to A) feed you until you can't take another bite and B) put you onto some great pigs! Roger runs a BBQ business when he is not guiding hunters and knows how to put some serious vittles on the table!

About 10-12 large hogs and about 12-15 piglets came tumbling in to the feeder about 4:30 Saturday afternoon in a large, noisy group. There were so many, I had a hard time concentrating on just one. I was after a meat hog and so I picked out a nice sow. I drew as she started feeding in a direction that would work her loose from the gaggle. After what seemed like forever, she presented a shot and I tripped the release. It was like my arrow was in slow motion. I watched as it buried into the ribcage right behind the front leg. It was a complete pass through with a 100 grain Muzzy 3 blade. She toppled over without so much as a twitch about 25 yards from feeder. I had my first ever bow kill!

As dusk settled in, I could hear boars fighting up a draw about a 100 yard away. Their screams were echoing through the woods and I will admit the hair on the back of my neck was standing at attention. If you have ever heard wild boars fighting you know the sound I am talking about. I was more than a little relieved when one of the hands showed up with the Rhino! I ended up riding back with another hunter named John Paul in his truck. On the way, we saw a nice sized hog standing on the trail. We tried to put a stalk on it, but when we got to the edge of the thicket in the draw where the boars were fighting, we both quickly agreed spot and stalk (expecially in the dark with two small LED flashlights between us) was way over rated!

We made our way back to the camp and two of Rogers's crew, Kenny and Todd, had my hog butchered and in the cooler within a few minutes.

There were 4 hunters this weekend and 4 pigs hit, 3 recovered. One of the other hunters, a nice 19 year old young man named Jerald, got his first bow kill as well. We all looked for the 4th pig for a couple of hours through some extremely heavy brambles. The guy who shot it (my best friend and lifelong hunting buddy) put on a great stalk to get a shot at 15 yards and thought he had a good hit but he didn't get a pass through. We tracked pinhead-sized drops of blood every 50 feet or so for 5 or 6 hundred yards but finally lost the trail after the hog managed to break the arrow off.

All in all, it was one of the best hunts I've been on. We had a lot of fun standing around the cooking fire telling stories and getting to know one another and an even better time sitting around the big campfire later telling lies!

It is all low fence and Roger told me about 95% of his hunters see hogs and about 50% connect. Feel free to shoot me a message if I can answer any questions. We will definitely be going back sometime this spring.

Dave S
DaveS903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Graybow

Last Activity: 09-28-2014
 @ 11:25 PM 

SOunds like y'all had a good hunt. And congrats on the pig.
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
Hunt Quest
Sponsor Member

LSBA Region: 81
Last Activity: 03-26-2011
 @ 11:42 PM 

Congrats sounds like a blast!!
Hunt Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Congrats Dave. Sounds like a time to remember.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

great write up.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote