Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 
Default First Point Bowhunting "Youth Hunt"

Well the time for the First Point Bowhunting Youth Bowhunt has come and gone. I would like to thank Bo Heine for once again allowing the LSBA to take over his ranch for a weekend and bring 10 kids down to hunt. Without support from individuals like Bo, it would be very difficult to be able to do such things. I would like to also thank Ronny Strickland for taking on this adventure and overseeing the hunt. I would also like to thank Tomme Actkinson for gathering all of the names and drawing the names of the 10 kids.

Now on to the hunt. Hunter was finally lucky enough to be drawn for this hunt and we had to make sure that there wasn't going to be any distractions from her going. Between Football and Homecoming, the weekend was perfect for her. Off we went on Friday after she got out of school and finally making it to the ranch around 9:00 pm to find all the other kids out rabbit hunting, and had scored on some rabbits. That afternoon, one of the kids had killed a javelina, so we were going to have to catch up. Bo took us out to a couple of spots and we picked one that was going to be good for the wind in the morning. 5:30 am came early and off we went to the blind, and you guessed it, I took a wrong turn right off the bat. No problem, we still backtracked and made it to the blind plenty early. The feeder went off and deer started coming out. We saw some does, and a spike, but he looked to be young and had a fork at the tip so he was passed. A big doe finally come into range, and when she finally presented the shot, Hunter was not able to draw her bow back. We were in cramped quarters and failed to see if she had room to draw. Let that be a lesson to us to make sure first thing that you can draw the bow in the blind. So we ended up with nothing that morning.

The afternoon hunt took us to another blind since the wind was now blowing out of the north. Dena was sitting with Hunter for the afternoon hunt. I knew that it was not the best setup for Hunter because the window of opportunity was going to be a very fast one. She was hunting off the road on the corn route were there had been some nice bucks spotted. They said that some deer came by, but never really slowed down, just kept moving up the road eating the corn. So nothing for the afternoon hunt now either. There was another javelina killed that evening, so now Hunter was now getting really fired up. We talked with Bo and wanted to go back to where we sat that morning.

Once again, on our way to the blind. I did not take any wrong turns this time and made it really early to the blind. Finally the feeder goes off, but no deer show up. What the heck. After about a hour and half, a doe shows up and the wait is on. Now we have checked on drawing the bow and everything was a go. The doe finally got into our shooting spot but was head on to us for about 45 minutes. We didn't think that she was ever going to give us that broadside shot. Finally she did and Hunter was ready. She let the arrow fly and we saw for our self how these deer are wound up tight. The deer was ducking and turning when the arrow caught up to her. We saw that we hit her a little high and back so the wait was going to longer than what we were hoping for. Finally after about a hour wait and nature calling, we got our to take a look. Hunter immediately found what we did not want to see. There was some green matter present on the ground. I really wanted to go back to camp and wait longer, but we would have had to cross over where the deer was last seen anyway. We stayed on the trail and I found her arrow leaning up against the brush. I stayed on a trail that I thought she might have gone down, and Hunter stayed at the last location still looking. Hunter found blood going a different direction than what I was heading. Blood started getting easier to find and then I looked up and saw what we were looking for. I told Hunter to look over there, but she said that she was not as tall and me and could not see what I was looking at. She stepped to the side to see her first deer with her bow laying just a few feet away. We did some celebrating and picture taking. Then off back to camp we went with her deer. When we got back, Ronny asked me if we killed anything, but I wanted Hunter to let them know. So when she stepped out of the truck with the blood on her face, there was no doubt then that she had killed something.

I all, there were 3 javelina’s and Hunters doe that was killed and many opportunities. Guess that is why we called it hunting. Sorry, I do not have any pictures of the other kills.

Sorry for such a long read, but Hunter as well and I am proud of her doe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunters Doe 10-12-2014 2.jpg (31.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Good job!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
yotekilr

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 10-17-2014
 @ 10:28 AM 

We really enjoyed meeting everyone! Congrats to Hunter on her doe! Also, thanks to Bo Heine and everyone involved with the LSBA for making this hunt possible.
The Chaudoin family
yotekilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I think everyone had fun, I know I did.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #5
Widowmaker

Last Activity: 12-06-2016
 @ 06:19 PM 

Congrats on a job well done!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
MILNRICK

Last Activity: 12-27-2016
 @ 07:44 AM 

Congratulations Hunter on your first deer with a bow.
MILNRICK is offline   Reply With Quote