Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Rate the Day Lease / Outfitter
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Seasoned

@ 06:00 PM 
Default Thought on Brushy Hill

This is a first for posting on this site; however, I feel members need to here my story. Mainly because there is so much "glowing" praise out there. Yes, I realize this is a sponser of LSBA. My friend and I hunted Brushy Hill over the Thanksgiving weekend. We had a decent hunt, but felt we were moved from one cabin to make room for "friends or family". The place was rat infested and very very dirty. We did stay because we got a pasture to ourselves, but this pasture had 3 feeders with one not working and the others out of corn. When the foreman was informed, he said he would take a look, but we never saw any tracks. We did, however, see deer with one being a 130 - 140 class 9 point.
Mr. Denny walked by our "cabin" one time and made a statement, "Good evening". Never once asking how things were, if we saw deer, or did we need anything. Pretty rude and classless way to run a business if you ask me.

I will not be returning to Brushy Hill!

Last edited by Seasoned; 01-02-2009 at 02:49 PM..
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Sorry for your bad experience with Brushy Hill. Thanks for the input though.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Sorry to hear that. I've had nothing but good experiences with the ranch myself. He plays some pretty good music too.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Novice08

Default Brushy Hill experience

As per the other thread about the brushy hill experience, overall it was what I expected as far as "fair chase", your on your own. liked it.
One of the biggest draws for me, from their website though, was the corning of the roads, their version turned out to be driving approx. 30 MPH and hitting the dispatch switch once every 200 ft. for about 1/2 second.
I have to agree that the rodent population in the camp house needs to be delt with. Although I don't consider myself too unnerved by rats/mice, it did suck to wake up in the middle of the night to the parade of what sounded like dozens of little feet running across the floor.
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it a 5.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
mg13club

Admittedly, I am a pretty conservative person who doesn't mind being left alone, but a little courtesy goes a long ways. After Mr. Denny took our money, we became ghost to him eventhough we were 40 yds from his house. The corn feeders did not work properly. I could have shot at several under sized bucks and some does that we did not pay for and I firmly believe no one would have caught me. Maybe I expected too much for somebody that I just gave aprox. $600.00 to. Mr. Denny gave no advice, he never checked up on us to see how we were doing. We also felt that we got shoved into a hole in the garage because some friends or family was in the cabin that we thought we were staying. Mice, mice, and more mice. The problem was so bad that we even found some traps, set them and caught a few mice. This was probably the worst kept place I have ever stayed. I don't know if Mr. Denny can sing and play an instrument or not but in my opinion he might need to pursue singing and playing an instrumentt as a career instead of ramrodding this outfit! I will not be back and I would not recommend this place to anyone!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

I've read these several times and finally feel I have to jump in.

I have hunted Brushy Hills probably 15 or 20 times and have found it to be one of the finest bowhunting ranches in Texas. Part of that is because it is all low fence fair chase, part is the price, part is the size at 13,000 acres and part is the challenge because the game on that ranch is pretty smart.

I have always found Pete Denney to be one of the friendliest, most laid back ranchers I have known. My hunting has often been off season for hogs, so maybe it's different during deer season, when they are crowded and more stressed, but laid back is really the way to describe Pete. I've even been there on some summer hog hunts and had to remind myself to pay on the way out of camp, which is quite a difference from a lot of places I've been where they are waiting at the gate with their hands out and are saying "Show me the money!"

I've also found that Pete and Rusty were more than ready with advice on where to hunt, how to set up, etc. I don't know if you asked or not for hunting advice, but if you do, I guarantee that they will be more than happy to help you. This contrasts by the way with several other ranches I've hunted where when you ask, "Where have the big ones been seen?" and get a reply like, "In the woods?" which is actually all the reply I got on one ranch.

While I try not to hunt the place during the busiest times of mid-November to mid-December, I've had great luck at all other times including October and January. I don't have a lot of extra hunt money in retirement, but I'd go back every year and every chance I could.

Finally, this ranch has been great to LSBA. We have had six Grunts and Gobbles spring fellowship hunts there, an October and January deer hunt, and the Ham Slam in September of 2003 was the hunt that got LSBA back into hunting as a group. The ranch has also always given the organization a great price and allowed kids to hunt for free. While I appreciate all of that support, I have to say that my endorsement above is because I really like the ranch and think Pete is a great guy. JMHO
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote