Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #1
outdoortexan

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoortexan
Last Activity: 09-19-2016
 @ 08:33 AM 
Default An end to 2008

Well, it's over. 2008 is done. But what an ending ! As always I am off work the final week of the year for a company shutdown. This time I decided I was going to visit a good friend I haven't seen in almost 2 years. Since my wife was having to work my only choice was to take my two youngest with me. After getting an ok to bring the kids from Billy, off we went. He had offered to let me hunt so I carried my bow and rifle just in case.

After making the 6 hour drive up to his town we meet him for lunch. After lunch and a short visit we headed out of town to his property. Sunday afternoon was just perfect as we caught up with each and even sat in a blind to see if anything would come in. We spent the night in town at his house and headed back to the property in the morning. Since he had to work it was just the kids and I. We went to the camper and unloaded a few things then just did some exploring. The kids thought it was cool to see all the different fresh tracks in the dirt road. Turkey, deer, raccoon and a few other tracks really peaked their intrest. Billy came out that afternoon and he went to sit in his hill blind to try to eliminate a hog or two while I went to another stand to bow hunt. Neither of us connected.

The kids and I stayed at the camper Monday night. Tuesday morning we awoke to freezing temps. With no heater in the camper I ended staying huddled with the kids. After they woke we layed around playing Yatzee on their Gameboy. We finally got up and started goofing off outside. It was great morning spent with my kids with no tv or other interference. Just us and nature. Around lunch we headed into to town and happened to notice Billy was home. I called to invite him to eat and he said to come by the house for a minute.

He told me he had to go to a game ranch to check their phone line as that is his work. He asked if we wanted to tag along. Let's see, a chance to see the inside of a high dollar 30,000 acre hunting ranch? WELL YEAH !! The ranch is owned by two doctors and hosts many youth and handicap hunts during the year. So off we went. After driving out to the ranch we entered the gate and started the journey back to the ranch house area. Along the way we seen turkey and deer and great scenery. Stopping at the first phone check line near the office, Billy checked and found the problem wasn't the ranch's but the phone companies. We went over to the dining hall to inform the ranch foreman. We entered the hall and right away I recognized the pony tail of the man facing away from me. The Motor City Madman himself was sitting there. He was there filming a hunt for his Spirit of the Wild show. We got to visit for about thirty minutes and the kids even ate chicken fingers with him, in a way, lol.

We left the ranch and went to the next town over and ate at a very cool small town bar/resturant. Soon we were meet by another friend I haven't seen in a while. The day had already been good but only got better. After luch we headed back over to Billy's and then the kids and I headed back to the property. Right after reaching the camp, I readied for an evening bow hunt in the hill stand Billy had hunted the previous evening. Within 30 minutes I had a doe come in. Still having some time left I gambled and didn't shoot her. Perhaps another hour passed and the sun was getting reading to go to bed for the evening. Then I noticed movement that turned out to be two does and a yearling. For what seemed like an hour but really was only about 10 minutes, the biggest doe finally presented a broadside view. After waiting for my shot I let the arrow fly.

I may not have mentioned this, but I was a bowhunting virgin so to speak. Having never taken an animal with my bow. The arrow found it's mark and the doe bolted but amazingly only went about 20 yards. She stood there a few seconds and then fell over. My heart was racing and my hands were shaking ! What an adrenaline RUSH ! After waiting for dusk I climbed down and called Billy. He said to bring her to town to clean her and we would go eat dinner. Gary, the friend that joined us earlier came over for dinner and we had another great visit.

Wednesday morning, the last day of the year, the kids and I headed home. Taking backroads and going through small towns was a real treat. I am thinking my next vacation will be just that. Small town visits in Texas. All in all, 2008 ended with a bang, despite firing no gun, lol.

I hope y'all had a great New Years and wish everyone the best in 2009 !
TMA Safety Instructor
outdoortexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 

Sounds like a GREAT time!! Pics??? Dont hold out on us! Congrats on the first animal with a bow!
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Congratulations. It sounds like you had a good time. Where are the pics????
Old 01-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
outdoortexan

Send a message via Yahoo to outdoortexan
Last Activity: 09-19-2016
 @ 08:33 AM 

I hate cell phone cameras but man did it come in handy!!
TMA Safety Instructor

Last edited by outdoortexan; 01-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: add text
outdoortexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Good story!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote