Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
Diamond C

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-08-2009
 @ 05:27 PM 
Default Switching over.(NEED HELP)

I have been shooting my Mathews now for a longtime, I love it and I have taken many animals with it, but it is time for somthing new. I am thinking recurve.

I just got my first recurve kill about a week ago with a OLD 45lbs Bear my grandpa gave me. I am now hooked.

I need a good bow that I can shoot everything form rabbits to moose with.

I dont know to much about recurves, and I know a few of you guys do.
Tinman was out to my place a few days ago with his black Widow I did not shoot it but I like the looks of it.

I need to know what is better one piece or take down?
What poundage of bow do I need to be looking at?
How long of bow do I need?
and anything else you guys can think of that I need to know befor I buy my new toy.

I am a short guy only about 5'8" if this matters.

Thank You
skylar stark
Diamond C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
LostHawg

Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Check out Bob Lee, Great Plains or Sarrels.

A takedown has 2 advantages: A) you can break it down for travel, and 2) you can start with light weight limbs and later replace them as you build strength.

Black Widows are nice little recurves. (Don't tell Buff I said that) They really pack a wallop too.

One piece recurves have the advantage of not having to worry about if your bolts are too tight or tight enough and no tools.

I'd go with a one piece longbow personally.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
nothinbutwelves

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 11-08-2017
 @ 11:54 AM 

a longer one piece bow will be more forgiving and shoot sweeter,smoother than a take down.more importantly than pound and length is grip you need to try several grips this is everything in traditional accuracy most of the mfg.will hold a deposit and send you a shop bow to play with for up to 14 days if you cannot get to their place.you will pay for shipping both ways.good luck
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Quote:
Tinman was out to my place a few days ago with his black Widow I did not shoot it...
That's just wrong...what a loser I am, I will correct that problem soon. I need to make a trip to Mineral Wells in a couple of weeks to deliver some kid's bows and I'm hoping to come out and hunt with you again at that time.

We'll get a Widow in your hand.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope

Last edited by tinman; 07-02-2008 at 09:21 AM..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #5
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Welcome to traditional. All of us who shoot this type of bow have been right where you are now. Looking for a little more challenge and fun from our archery.

I don't disagree with any of the advice above.

As far as bows go, I don't know of anyone making a bad bow. Brands are just a personal pref. I would encourage you to support one of the fine bowyers that supports LSBA as they make as good a bow as any out there. I have two Bob Lee bows and love them. I have a Bob Sarrels as well and it is a fine bow. I have a Black Widow on order that will be here soon.

In general, the longer a bow the more forgiving and smooth...the shorter the quicker and easier to move around in stands and blinds....so like everything it is a trade off.

Some guys claim to shoot a longbow better than a recurve (Losthawg) but for almost everyone....recurves are easier. Check the scores at any tourny or 3-D event and you will see.

I own several one piece bows, but I will never buy another one. They are fine if you are never going to travel with them...but if you are, you need a breakdown bow.

The trickiest thing to give you advice on is weight. You already have a starter 45 lb bow, which will kill anything in North America. Still I know what you mean wanting more. Most of us want a little more weight for penetration and flatter arrow flight. So, how high to you go???? Good question. Over the last 20 years I worked my way all the way up to an 80 lb bow and am now back in the 65-70 range. That is very heavy. Only Buff and I shoot that much weight of the guys I normally hang around with.

If I just had to pull a guess out of the air.....I would say go for 60 lbs is the 45 is really easy for you to shoot. That is a big step and lots more power. The danger in getting too heavy is having bad form, not shoot well, getting frustrated and giving up.

A couple of last points, you will never be as accurate as your compound, all ways remember to have fun, and there is lots of help out there.

Mark

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
LostHawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Welcome to traditional.

If I just had to pull a guess out of the air.....I would say go for 60 lbs is the 45 is really easy for you to shoot. That is a big step and lots more power. The danger in getting too heavy is having bad form, not shoot well, getting frustrated and giving up.

Mark
55 seems to be the going average from what I've seen.

If you can handle the weight, a heavier bow will give you a cleaner release. My biggest struggle with my 52# (56# at my draw length) longbow is the string slipping from my fingers. I've got a 60#er (64) that's just right. You want the string to leave your fingers, you don't want to have to pull your fingers off the string. This is where you most often will throw off your windage in a shot. Once you learn good form, go with the heaviest draw you can handle comfortably and accurately. 60# is a good weight if you're up to it. I'm just plain jealous of folks like Buff and Chunky that shoot 300# bows, but that takes conditioning and then constant practice to maintain. Lately, I've not been practicing like I should, so I've been sticking with the lighter bow.

And yes, longbows are far more forgiving and accurate.

Old coot in training
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #7
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Losthawg "could" be right. 55 lbs might be better. A ten pound step up is a good sized step and that is a very popular weight.

Don't forget about Foley bows, he makes a good bow and is a friend of LSBA as well, they didn't jump to my mind because I don't have one in my collection....yet.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #8
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Hopefully when Dena gets back we will figure out how to do the kids hunt you so gracious donated. I will come down and bring 5 or 6 bows for you to play with. Keep shooting that 45 pounder every day. There is alot to be learned shooting a light weight bow and it will serve you well later when you move up .
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
LostHawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Losthawg "could" be right. 55 lbs might be better. A ten pound step up is a good sized step and that is a very popular weight.

Don't forget about Foley bows, he makes a good bow and is a friend of LSBA as well, they didn't jump to my mind because I don't have one in my collection....yet.
I don't think Great Plains is a sponsor... yet.

Mark, I was out of allignment. The "55" comment was actually the after-thought. The second paragraph was in response to yours. I do agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
Hopefully when Dena gets back we will figure out how to do the kids hunt you so gracious donated. I will come down and bring 5 or 6 bows for you to play with. Keep shooting that 45 pounder every day. There is alot to be learned shooting a light weight bow and it will serve you well later when you move up .
Yes, shoot the 45 as much as possible. If you have a video camera, plug it in and turn it on and film yourself shooting. Then compare it to video of Buff shooting (on his website). Iron out the wrinkles. Marty's got great form.

Old coot in training
Old 07-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #10
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
Marty's got great form.
it is hard to practice being pretty
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote