Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
DoubleJ

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 
Thumbs down Let's Talk Crossbows - Long read!

I am sending the following message out to all members in our mass e-mail list:

Fellow Bowhunters

A couple of months back I came to you in a call to action to oppose a proposal by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission to allow youth only firearm hunting for the entire Special Archery Season. You answered the call with a passion and professionalism that impressed not only the management at TPW but the Commissioners themselves. Your voices were heard and the proposal was modified to leave the Special Archery Season as it is. Congratulations! Please take the opportunity to attend one of the many public hearings planned for the remainder of this month and early March to support the proposal on youth hunting. I would also ask that you voice your opinion on the limiting of taking Alligator Gar to one fish per day. Those of you who bowfish realize the impact this will have on our sport and I’m not sure we have reliable science to justify this limit.

I find that I need to ask for your help yet again. This time it is the Texas Legislature that is threatening the Special Archery Season. On February 2, 2009, Representative Mark Homer of Paris, TX filed HB 968 which will allow the use of crossbows by anyone during the Special Archery Season. Representative Homer is the Chairman of the Committee that will be considering this bill for advancement. This bill is cosponsored by Representative Edmund Kuempel of Seguin.

The Lone Star Bowhunter Association (LSBA) is not opposed to the use of crossbows for hunting and in fact we strongly support the regulations as currently written which allows the use of crossbows during the Special Archery Season by persons with upper body disabilities and by anyone on MLD 2 & 3 properties. So why change the regulations?

There will be an argument made that it will increase opportunities for women and children to hunt during archery season. This argument was rendered mute when the TPW Commissioners eliminated the minimum draw weight for archery equipment last March. In fact I have heard several success stories from this past season of kids as young as 7 taking deer with archery equipment.

There will be an argument made that it will increase license sales. I seriously doubt that. I believe the majority of the people that will be hunting with crossbows in the Special Archery Season will be folks that will also be hunting with guns during the General Season and who would have bought a license anyway. I have talked with TPW and they have no way of accurately determining the impact on license sales aside from a guess. The only thing that will increase is the number of people hunting in October.

The truth is they just want to hunt in October but don’t want to learn to shoot a bow!!

This same proposal was made during the last legislative session and died in the Senate after passing in the House. This is going to be a much bigger challenge than the youth hunting proposal and will take a much stronger effort to defeat. This bill will be supported by the national crossbow association, some bow manufacturers, magazine editors, TV hunting show personalities, and even some of our members.

Thirty five years ago some dedicated men and women fought for and won the Special Archery Season that we enjoy today. The LSBA was born of this effort. Now it’s up to us to keep it. Recruit new members, now! There is strength in numbers.

You can track the status of this bill and find out the contact information for your Representatives at http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/

I urge you to contact Representatives Homer and Kuempel and let them know that how you feel about this proposal. Contact your local representatives and if possible visit with them personally. As always remain respectful and professional but let them know how you feel.

We will keep you informed as to the progress of this bill and any future actions we may need to take. With your help we can maintain the status quo.

Wishing you soft winds and straight shots,

Jack Jetton
President
LSBA

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor