Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Public Hunting Opportunities
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Thump1

Last Activity: 07-19-2009
 @ 03:59 PM 
Default Aransas Archery Hunt Dates

2009 Aransas National Wildlife Refuge Archery Hunt Oct 3-11th on 136k acres of coastal plains.

This year's dates are out for the Archery Hunt on the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. The hunt opens on Oct 3rd running for nine straight days until Oct 11th. This is the longest annual Archery hunt in TX, I've been hunting the refige for over 40yrs.

Hunters just have to sign up for the hunt and pay a $60 permit fee. To get a hunting packet with all the information call the Refuge at 361-286-3559 and give them your address. Hunter success has been running 20%-25%, early scouting and stand placement is permited.
Thump1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
chicote

@ 06:00 PM 

Hey Old timer, I've been hunting there since 1978. The place has change so much from the time I started hunting there. My first day out by the protected area I walked up to a mesquite tree in the middle of some tall grass in a small clearing. As I got closer the mesquite tree got up and I was about 35 yds from the biggest monster trophy buck of a lifetime(180) My arrow was nocked, I drew back and all hell broke loose, Buck fever hit me so hard I could kept my eye open, my leg was shaking , and after what seem to be 10 minutes I let the arrow fly. I shot over his back and missed by inches, but to my surprise he just ran about 5 yds to my left ,so I nocked aonther arrow thinking he was going to run to the next county and shot again. Another miss, and this time it was inches short under his front quarter. By this time I felt a heart attack coming on, but he dont' move. Was it a hit or did I miss, no wasting anytime , I nocked another arrow and took aim and released the arrow, but that time the buck didnt wait for the arrow and I never was that monster buck ever again.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Thanks for the info Thump.