Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 
Default FREE LSBA First Point Bowhunting Youth Hunt 10/16-18/15

Woohoo!!! Boys and Girls, it is that time of year again!!!

The Lone Star Bowhunters Association will be hosting another youth hunt at First Point Bowhunting in Eagle Pass October 16-18, 2015. Many thanks to First Point and to Bo Heine for this wonderful opportunity for ten youth hunters!!

The hunt is FREE for the 10 youth bowhunters that are drawn and the one non-hunting parent or guardian that must accompany the hunter. This is for any hunter who is 16 or under by September 1, 2015. Every youth will be allowed to try for one eight point buck, a doe, a turkey, one javelina, unlimited hogs and varmints. In addition, there are a lot of rabbits on the ranch.

You do not have to be a member of LSBA to submit your entry. To enter you must send a postcard or letter to Tomme R. Actkinson, 159 Copano Ridge Road, Rockport, TX 78382. Tomme is our Region 78 Rep.

Your entry should contain your name, mailing address, phone number and email address. Only one entry per youth hunter, unless you were in attendance at one of our special events which qualified those entering for two entries. One was the Banquet and the next will be our State 3-D Shoot on August 23rd at Saltgrass Archery in Hitchcock. If you enter at the State Shoot this Sunday, you will get two entries. All entries must be postmarked no later than September 13, 2015. Ten winning hunters will be selected by a random drawing on or before September 15th and will be notified by email.

Please Note – YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER OF LSBA TO ENTER NOR WIN THIS DRAWING.

This is a great chance for an exciting free hunt on a great ranch, so get your entry in the mail today. It is a great time for the kids to meet other hunters throughout the State. Hunter has met lots of great friends at these events!

Get your entries into Tomme!!! Good luck!!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

Default Winners!!!

Thanks for entering!!! Congrats to all the winners!! Looks like a fun group and I cannot wait to take everyone snipe huting, so MAKE SURE to bring a paper bag with you for night time snipe hunting!!!!

Winners are:

Matthew H.

Bryce H.

Briley W.

Jake J.

Hunter B.

Charlie D.

Trey H.

Hogan H.

Brooke C.

Hunter K.

If your child will not be able to make it, please let me know ASAP as we have alternates drawn.

I am super exicited about the hunt and we will be notifiying winners by emaiil/phone.

I will give out more info over the next few days and weeks!

Again, congrats to all the winners!!! I will be posting more tomorrow on items to bring, etc. If you are unfamiliar with First Point, please review their website at HERE. If you have any questions, let me know and we will be glad to assist you in making sure your child has the possibility of a successful hunt.

... and Hunter B. I am bringing my turkey calling dog just for you!!

Last edited by Hot4huntin; 09-15-2015 at 09:12 AM..
Old 09-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

I will get some more information up today and in the next couple of weeks as everything comes together. Tomme has drawn several alternates in case some of the hunters are unable to make it.

Again, big thanks to Bo Heine and First Point for donating these hunts!! Bo is and his daughters are awesome and this hunt is and has been one of LSBA's highlights for the kids. Please give Bo a big thank you when you see him!!

Please checkout First Point's website for info.

This is a hard hunt. The animals are educated. Listen to Bo and please pay attention to the rules, regulations and suggestions that are posted on his site. Listen closely at pasture assignments. He will have some great tips and suggestions.

Quote:
About First Point Bowhunting

Dear Hunter,

Hello, my name is Raymond (Bo) Heine. I am the owner of First PointBowhunting in Maverick County, TX. First Point Bowhunting is an archery only hunting service. We are a trophy whitetail, hog, javelina, and turkey hunting ranch that is located 30 miles from the Mexico border near Eagle Pass in Maverick county Texas. This area of Texas is one of the BEST trophy whitetail counties and produces many deer in the 150 to 170 B & C class. We also have plenty of hogs and javelina.

The area we hunt is a 5,700 acre pasture of a 32,000 acre ranch that has been under a wildlife management program for over 20 years. The vegetation in this area of Texas is low brush made up of mesquite trees and prickely pear cactus. Almost all of the bowhunting is done from short tripods and/or ground blinds, you have to provide your own blinds (blinds and stands). We hunt whitetail from the first of October to the middle of January. We also offer quail and hog hunts following whitetail season.

We have a 20 bed full facility bunkhouse that has air conditioning and heating as well as a full kitchen with pots and pans, dishes, microwaves and coffee pots. You do your own cooking and cleaning up. We also have a grill for steaks and a larger pit for cooking. You will need to bring your own food, water and bedding. Lodging is included in the price of the hunt. We also have a walk in cooler for cold storage of your harvest.

Our goal is to provide quality bowhunting at a reasonable price.

Happy Hunting,

Raymond (Bo) Heine, Jessica Ahern, & Amanda Heine

Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 AM   #4
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

Please review First Point Hunting Rules. Bo will go over the animals that can be harvested for the Youth Hunt. We will be hunting Noon Friday thru Noon Sunday. You will need to bring a short tripod, popup or build a ground blind. Again, these animals are smart, so make sure it is brushed in good for a successful hunt. First Point allows hunting with compound and trad bows only. Please make sure you are proficient. Feel free to bring a target for practice. We will also be bringing a couple with us. Most of all have FUN!!!

Quote:
Hunting Rules

Obey all state game laws.

This is a Bowhunting only ranch. No firearms or crossbows are allowed on the property.

Only mature BUCKS may be harvested (3 ½ years old or older) any buck younger than 3 ½ years old that is harvested will carry a $500 FINE. (See rule #4 for exception)

You are allowed the following harvest per hunt: 2 bucks (1- 8 point and 1- 8+ point, ALL BUCKS MUST BE 3.5 YRS OLD), only 1 doe (must have weaned her young – NO DOES IN SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER), only 1 turkey, 1 hog per day of your hunt and any varmits. If you want to harvest a JAVELINA YOU MAY DO SO WITH A TROPHY FEE OF $75 (SEPTEMBER & OCTOBER JAVELINA ARE FREE WITH YOUR HUNT).

If you hit a deer, please come in and ask for tracking help. We will help you find it. WOUNDING RULE: If your deer is not found, that is the only deer you are allowed to hunt for the rest of your stay. You will not be allowed to shoot another deer. A hit = A harvest, so make your shots count.

DO NOT touch the feeders. Feeders go off 30 minutes after sunrise and 2 hours before dark. We also feed 32 miles of road every day.

Use of ATV (four wheeler) is permitted on ranch roads only (NO OFFROAD DRIVING).

Keep driving to a minimum. Go only to your area on the ranch and back to camp. NO SIGHT SEEING! NO CHANGING PASTURES - HUNT YOUR ASSIGNED AREA ONLY!

Stay in your area while hunting. Do not cross any fences. If you disturb another hunter in his area you will be asked to pay for his entire hunt and vice versa.

Keep gates like you found them. Closed if they are closed and open if they are open.

Watch out for the cows. This is a working cattle ranch. We DO NOT have any control over the workers and their duties and hours.

NO driving from 30 minutes before sunrise until 9am and 4pm until dark.

No alcohol permitted in hunting areas. Keep it in the camp.

No smoking in the camp house or hunting areas.

Do no litter. If you see litter, please pick it up.

Keep the camp and camp house clean, there are other hunters when you leave. DO NOT THROW LEFTOVERS OUTSIDE - PUT THEM IN THETRASH. (THIS BRINGS IN VARMITS TO THE CAMP)

No one under the age of 16 is allowed to stay in camp by themselves, must be with an adult at all times.

Keep all camp fires within the camp circle in the fire ring provided. Do not build fires outside this area.

No dogs allowed on the ranch. * Please contact Bo for any exceptions. (830) 798-5890

TRASH: TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU!!! If we have to clean up after you, you will be assessed a $50.00 fee. If this is not paid you will not be allowed back at the ranch. Please check out with Bo prior to leaving. This will help ensure you will not be fined.

Quail Hunters are required to pick up all SHOTGUN SHELLS!! Failing to do so you will be assessed a $50.00 fine per person and will not be allowed back at the ranch. .Please check out with Bo prior to leaving. This will help ensure you will not be fined.

Do not waste game meat. If you do not want the meat, talk to Bo.

Pick a spot, shoot straight and have FUN!

IF YOU BREAK THE RULES – YOU MAY BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE RANCH AND YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED BACK.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #5
drfrizz

Last Activity: 09-02-2020
 @ 07:31 PM 

Good luck to all the young hunters that have been selected to participate!
drfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

A few days away, hope everyone is as excited as I am. Food will be supplied for Friday night, Saturday and Sunday morning kolaches, Lunch and Dinner for Saturday.

I just talked to Bo to confirm what can be killed. 2 deer from the following, 1 eight point or better, spike and or doe. Bearded turkey, a javelina, and hogs and varmints.

Need to watch out for rattlesnakes, so bring snake boots. Possibility of mosquitos, so bring spray or thermacell.

The ranch received a lot of rain this past weekend, so you may want to bring a atv. This is not a deal killer because there are still blinds that can be used that does not require the use of atv, but it limits you.

Everyone be careful going and look forward to seeing you Friday.

Bob
Old 10-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #7
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

I don't have a address, but I do have some directions.

"Take Hwy 90 W to Uvalde. On the west side of Uvalde there is a is a sign to
Eagle Pass. This is Hwy 481. Take 481 toward Eagle Pass. 28.8 miles
southwest of Uvalde on Hwy 481 is a blue pipe gate on the southeast side of
the highway with 6 white arrowheads. Go through the gate and to the camp."

Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Vu and I finally made it home around 7:30, but the girls made a trip out to Eagle Pass so no telling when they will make it in tonight.

Thanks to Bo Heine and First Point Bowhunting Ranch for allowing the Lone Star Bowhunters Association to have another youth hunt out there.

This was another great group of guys and gals. Hopefully everyone had a great time. I wish everyone would have killed something or at least had a opportunity to shoot at something. If anyone went away hungry, it was their fault. There was plenty to eat. Vu did a great job on getting all the food done and on time. Congrats to all the young hunters that killed something, and hopefully if we are able to do this again next year, everyone will put their name down to come back.

There were 4 animals killed this year.
Brooke C. was the first to score on the first evening hunt with a spike, (sorry no pic)
Hogan H. was second to score on a nice doe.
Clay H. was able to get a nice javelina on the last morning sit.
There were a few misses that were also made.
And here is the story for the 4th animal taken.
T

Hunter waited again until the last morning to kill her something. We saw deer all three sits, but this morning the right ones finally followed the script and she made a great shot. We did our 30 minute wait, but actually 39 minutes because we had one eight point that did not know he was suppose to leave when she shot so we were not going to run him off and educate him of the blind. Blood was found within 10 yards and a trail that I (blind man) could follow. Of course it had to run into the thickest area, but wasn't hard to follow. With the amount of blood lost, I was surprised of the distance we had gone. We finally found the arrow laying on the ground, and that's when the blood went to being little drops. We finally ran out or could not find anymore drops, so I told her we needed to get Abri (JR dog) out there. We were going to drive back to camp and get the dog and Bo, but thought I would check for phone service. Verizon does not have service out there. WOW, I was on extended service were I was standing and just made a phone call back to camp to bring help. While me and Hunter were sitting there waiting, I told her that I was going to make another look and for her to wait on Bo and Abri. I went back to were I last seen blood and stayed on the trail that it had been going on, but still not finding anything. I figure I would do a little walk off the trail and just like most times, the deer was laying about 20 yards off the trail were we had last seen blood. I didn't go up to the buck but went back to Hunter and then Bo, Dena and Abri were just arriving. I informed then that I had just found the deer but wanted Abri to do a short track. We let Abri lead the way and Hunter was finally able to put her hands on her first bow kill buck.

And as I was finishing up loading the pics, the girls walked in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FP Hogans doe. resizedjpg.jpg (271.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg FP Clays javelina resized.jpg (167.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FP Little 8 pt.resized.jpg (400.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FP Hunters 8 with Abri.resized 2 jpg.jpg (385.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg LSBA Youth Hunt FP 2015 resized.jpg (197.7 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by BOBSTER; 10-18-2015 at 10:42 PM..
BOBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
Texas5o

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-21-2017
 @ 01:09 PM 

Glad the hunt was successful. Congratulations to all the hunters.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

very nice thanks first point and bobster!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

Congrats to all the successful hunters!!! A couple of other kiddos killed rabbits and a mouse!!

Thanks so much to Bo Heine and First Point for sponsoring the youth hunt again this year!! The kids always have a blast!!

Special thanks to Vu Nguyen for furnishing and preparing all the food this year!! It was excellent and ready right on time for the hunters!!

This was another great group of young women and young men!! It is great to see the comaraderie that is shared on these hunts!! We had some first time hunters and some with hunting experience. They all helped each other out with tips, advise and shared experiences.

Thanks again, Bo, First Point and Vu!!