Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Around the World
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 
Default Opinions Please~Working on Set Up for Africa

In June, 2008, Bobby and I will be going to Africa and hunting with Ntshonalanga Safaris. I will be hunting a Kudu and a Warthog for sure. I'd also like to take a Gemsbuck and as crazy as it sounds, I would like a baboon. Bobby's not crazy about a baboon mount in the house, so we will have to see.

I'm switching to a Parker Contender bow and am in the process of setting it up now. I will be shooting 50-53 pounds. My dilemma is my arrows. I need more weight. I am thinking about switching to Full Metal Jackets or Beaman Max 4s with a 100 grn. cut on contact two blade broadhead. That should give me about a 400 grn arrow. I'm interested in knowing what everyone's experience is with these two arrows, good & bad, and any suggestions on broadheads. I am leaning strongly towards German Kinetic BHs. Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

It kinds bites having to go to a new setup. Bobby is like going with the same old same as always, which is easier to do if you are shooting a much high weight. I like familiarity with my equipment, so I'm anxious to get everything set up so I can start practicing.

Also, SHOT PLACEMENT. I've heard and read that African game's vitals are more forward than N.A. Big Game Animals. Is this accurate??

Also, if anyone has any experience hunting in Africa with light weight equipment, I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

(I'm so excited that I'm already having a hard time sleeping. It is going to be a LOOOOOOONG 8 months, especially for Bobby .)

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Ledjadji Safaris

LSBA Region: LP
Send a message via MSN to Ledjadji Safaris
Last Activity: 04-18-2013
 @ 01:34 AM 

I cant give you that much advice on light gear but i can tell you what i shoot with and what i shot then you can make the conclusion.
I shoot a Hoyt set at 72pounds i use Easton Axis shafts with Nitron broadheads 125gr (3blade) with 2inch flights.I shot kudu before at 25yards witht the arrow going straight through and warthog the same results. you are spot on with the vitals they are more forward then your deer and for warthog try not to shoot to high and the same with gemsbuck both are tough animals, and study some shots and anotomy of those animals you tend to shoot.i would say the best shot is on the line of behind the shoulder and 1/4 way up if you can place an arrow exactly were you want it.Try to use ''thin'' arrows for more penetration but don't go to light.And test them on a hog it would give the same results.

Good luck
Ledjadji Safaris is offline   Reply With Quote