Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #301
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-29-2012
 @ 09:04 PM 

Pike Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale
Pike Pub & Brewery | Seattle, Washington USA
Purchased @ Kegs & Barrels - Plano, Texas USA

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Quite a decent wee heavy (scotch ale). Not as robust as others that I have had in this style but it is not a bad brew. Has a crisp dry finish that just begs for this brew to be paired up with some hearty slow-grilled brats! If you have not dabbled with scotch ales, this would be a good one to start with.

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Avery The Reverend
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Abt/Quadrupel

With a label that states: “Created by God | Feared by Satan | Loved By All | Reverend Luther Tucker”, how could I resist not trying this brew?! Oh what a delicious abt/quad!! Insanely complex but seductively delicious!! Definitely a sipper and will pair well with some beef dinners but it would also make for an excellent nightcap! Every sip is pure bliss!!! One last note … this brew is cellarable for up to four (4) years!!!

Big Sky Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout
Big Sky Brewing Company | Missoula, Montana USA

Style: Sweet Stout

A fairly good drinking brew but not one I would hold in high esteem for a stout; if this were in the brown ale style it might hold up a bit stronger. It’s not bad but there are a few stouts (ok … a lot of stouts!) that would be my choice over this one. If you are looking for a ‘sessionable’ stout then this brew would not be a bad choice. Under the cap it had printed “Black Forest Green Wallet” … I have no earthly clue what that means.

O’Hara’s Irish Stout
Carlow Brewing Company | County Carlow, Ireland

Style: Irish Stout

Whoa! This stout is one easy chugger! When compared to Guinness, this one runs a close second! Very easy to drink and definitely a brew to choose if one has not tried a stout before. When compared to other stouts, this one is a bit thin and very easy to drink. If I was grilling some of my decadent burgers and wanted a good stout, this one would be it! This stout paired up nicely with my brats-cheese-rice-potato casserole!

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #302
AWMiller

Stone Collaboration Cherry Chocolate Stout
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA

Style: Stout

Oh sweet chocolate-cherry bliss!! Like a chocolate-cherry coke from one of those old fashioned fountain drink machines! Stout Brewing has yet to fail on any collaboration brew! I could easily see filling up my ‘combat-mug’ full of this brew and enjoying the process of emptying it a few times throughout the day. Definitely a dessert brew and one not to be paired up with a meal as it would distort from the flavors. Absolutely delicious.

Ommegang Three Philosophers
Brewery Ommegang | Cooperstown, New York USA

Ever find something so complex that you just can’t describe?! This brew falls smack-dab in the middle of all that complexity!! This brew is a very tasty brew and one that presents you with a different meld of flavors and texture in each sip. One thing I truly like about this brew is the warming effect of the alcohol that is detected right from the get-go! I can only compare the flavors and textures to something along the lines of a robust rum cake. Fruity, malty, sweet and there’s no denying the fact that there is some alcohol in there! Definitely grabbing a few more and cellaring them for a few years to see how the flavors develop over time!

Wells Banana Bread Beer
England

Style: Fruit Beer

Thin and watery in texture. Somewhat on-par with the banana nut [bread] taste. Definitely nothing exciting going on with this brew. Not bad but not really my mug of beer. Strong banana scent and flavoring. So if you are into fruity beers then this one would be a good one to have. For me, just give me some [real] banana nut bread (and some warm brandy!!). Truly reminds me of a cream soda with a splash of banana extract.

Unibroue Eau Benite
Canada
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Abbey Tripel

Take it from me … ya gotta try every brew from Unibroue as I’m sure you will delight in every one of them!! FINALLY!! After searching for this brew in my area of Texas, I find it in a gift pack with a bottle of Maudite (quite delicious I might add!). So I get the gift pack and knew I would have two savory brews to enjoy! Complex and savory as all of the other Unibroue brews! A very fine tasting tripel that I would have all to itself and not pair it up with anything ’cause I am selfish and want all those delicious flavors to come through! Another fine brew from the folks at Unibroue!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #303
AWMiller

Belhaven Wee Heavy (90 Shilling)
Scotland

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Quite the delicious wee heavy! Much more flavorful than what I was expecting. Very rich and full of sweet raisins and a tasty almost ‘smoky’ aftertaste on the finish. Very thin in texture and quite an easy brew to quaff.

Great Divide Smoked Baltic Porter
Denver, Colorado USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Smoked/Baltic Porter

A good porter with a fine balance of sweetness and smokiness. Very creamy and slightly thick but yet an easy drinker. Gets much better as it slowly warms up. A real good sippin’ beer and makes for a perfect nightcap too!

Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock
Pasadena, California USA

Style: Heller Bock

Well this one makes for one fine beer to have at the tailgate party, the BBQ or the fish fry! Very crisp and quite the easy drinker. Very light yet flavorful. Have some spicy fish tacos with this brew for a winning combination!

Beck’s Dark
Germany

Style: Dunkel

It is what it is for what is is and I ain’t having it no more! Lots of ‘funk’ in the odor when first opened and it really doesn’t go away after that. (That odor is a big turn-off for me.) Very bland in both aroma and flavor. Not worth the money in my opinion.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #304
AWMiller

Ommegang Rare Vos
Cooperstown, New York USA
Purchased @ Kegs & Barrels - Plano, Texas USA

Style: Belgian Ale

Flemish for “Sly Fox”, this brew is fruity & spicy all in one tasty package! Insanely aromatic and full of robust flavors! Definitely a fine brew to pair up with some spicy mussels or grilled halibut! A very fine rendition of a Belgian ale. I did notice some light sediment (yeast) floating around the bottom of the bottle/glass. Just give it a slight shake to break it up and enjoy!

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA
Milton, Delaware USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

Now that my taste buds are continuing to appreciate a good IPA, I’m finding the ones from DFH to be very flavorful and a good brew to pair up with various meals. This is a very solid brew indeed! I did find the flavors becoming more robust as the beer slowly warmed up. ‘Twas an excellent pairing with my wild hog tamales!

Bosteels Tripel Karmeliet
Belgium

Style: Abbey Tripel

Now this is one delightful tripel! The carbonation keeps the flavors lively on the palate! The flavors in this brew are abundant and very well-balanced. Slightly heavy on the ABV, but definitely a brew to enjoy in the evening a couple of times over! Great as a dessert brew but one that I would also pair up with a creamy/cheese chicken-n-pasta meal!

Westmalle Dubbel
Belgium

Style: Abbey Dubbel

Ah the dubbel fascination continues! The Westmalle Dubbel is a ‘true’ trappist ale as it is still brewed by monks at the Westmalle Abbey in Belgium. Very complex and full of robust flavors. A perfect brew to pair up with some lamb chops or perhaps a hearty roast beef meal. Not a bad dubbel, and though considered by some as the benchmark for dubbels, there are several others that are to be better appreciated.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #305
AWMiller

Avery Hog Heaven
Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Barleywine

Numero 2 of the “Holy Trinity of Ales” from Avery that I have savored! The first (‘The Reverend’) is to be revered. The second (‘Hog Heaven’) makes me want to jump up and yell, “Woo Pig Sooie!!” (Yeah, I’m showing my Arkansas lineage, I know!!) The flavor is complex yet subtle and although it doesn’t show in the taste, the alcohol is there and will sneak up on ya sooner than you’d expect! Can’t wait to try the last ale of the ‘Trinity’, Salvation!!

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Brooklyn Brewery | Brooklyn, New York USA
Not purchased; received as a gift.

Style: Imperial Stout

Definitely a brew to stock and cellar for a few years! Chocolate, espresso, alcohol … need I say more?! Of the Brooklyn Brewery line-up, this stout takes top place (IMO)! Let this one warm a bit so that the flavors and aromas are much more intensified. This is one intense dessert brew! Just watch that ABV count because the sweetness of this brew hides that alcohol very well!!

Krombacher Weizen
Krombacher Brauerei | Kreuztal-Krombach, Germany

Style: Hefeweizen

Not a bad ‘hefe’ but definitely not one of the better ones that I have tasted. Very thin and watery in texture and very, very tart from start to finish. Nicely aromatic but the taste and texture just aren’t up to par in my opinion in this brew.

Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen
Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG | München, Germany

Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen

Very crisp and wonderfully refreshing and not a bad tasting oktoberfest/marzen from Germany. If I were to pick a brew in this style to serve as the baseline comparison model, it would be this brew. Loaded with flavors of doughy yeast and sweet caramel. A great starter brew for those that have not dabbled in the oktoberfest/marzen style of beer.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #306
AWMiller

Avery Salvation

Style: Belgian Strong Ale

“Damn that’s good!” Twas the first thought in my mind after tasting this exceptional brew. Number 3 and the last of the ‘Holy Trinity of Ales’ for me to savor and I must admit my favorite out of this series (although each comes from a different brew style). Definitely one of the finest Belgian strong ales I have yet to savor! So flavorful and robust! Watch that ABV count ’cause this is definitely a sipper and makes for an excellent nightcap!!

Rahr & Sons Angry Goat
Rahr & Sons Brewing Company | Fort Worth, Texas USA

Style: Weizen Bock

“Angry Goat ain’t no sissy Weizen Doppelbock …” Now who can resist trying a brew with a bold claim such as this?! Very aromatic and full of complex yet well-balanced flavors! Wheat, bananas and cloves make this tasty brew beg for a hearty rib-eye steak dinner (or perhaps a stuffed duck meal)!! Like most dark brews, as this one warms up the flavors become insanely rich! Definitely one of their best ‘specialty’ brews!!!

Krombacher Dark

Style: Schwarzbier

Definitely a session brew. This brew is quite the quaffer. One could easily slam a few of these down. Compared to other schwarz’s that I have tasted, this one is rather sub-par for its style. Not a bad schwarz but it is just tad bit on the thin side in texture. Not the best but not the worst. A good starter brew if one has not gotten into schwarzbiers yet.

Great Divide Hibernation Ale
Great Divide Brewing Company | Denver, Colorado USA

Style: Altbier / Old Beer

Definitely the best all-around altbier (old beer) that I have savored thus far! I can definitely see pouring up a few bottles of this brew into my combat-mug and watching the Rangers win the World Series!! Insanely aromatic and full of complex flavors; it’s just a good ol’ strong beer! So stop reading and go get ya some of this fantastic beer!!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #307
AWMiller

Ommegang Hennepin (Farmhouse Saison)

Style: Saison/Farmhouse

One of the utmost flavorful brews that has crossed my taste buds! This is the one brew that saison lovers must try at least once. Dry, crisp and ultimately refreshing. Ommegang is steadily climbing near the top of the list of my go-to breweries due to stellar brews as the Hennepin! Citrusy, spicy, sweet, mellow, robust … complexity at its finest!

Left Hand Fade to Black Vol. 3 Pepper Porter
Left Hand Brewing Company | Longmont, Colorado USA

Style: Porter

No ‘pepper’ detected at first but this is one good porter! Quite a tasty porter and as the beer warms the peppery flavors slowly come through but only ever-so-slightly. Very creamy and smooth and so hard to keep from chugging this tasty brew!

Barbar (Belgian Honey Ale)
Brasserie Lefčbvre SA | Rebecq-Quenast, Belgium

Call me weird but this is a ‘noisy’ brew! What I mean is the carbonation in this beer makes it sound like I have ‘Pop Rocks’ candy in my mouth. Load me up a big stockpile of this fine honey beer because this brew is insanely delicious! Honey, spices, orange, vanilla all combine to make a semi-sweet brew that hides its alcohol content oh so well!! Smoked salmon would be my pairing choice alongside some pasta lightly tossed and coated with fresh cracked black peppercorn, dill, and extra virgin olive oil. Absolutely outstanding!!

Affligem Noel (Christmas Ale)
Brouwerij De Smedt / Brouwerij Affligem | Opwijk, Belgium

What a great wintry brew! Full of tasty caramel, dark fruits, cooking spices and a light hint of chocolate makes for a good dessert brew to have on-hand as the winter months approach! This brew gets much more tastier as it slowly warms up. Definitely a sipper and one that you will want to savor slowly so that you don’t run out too soon!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #308
AWMiller

Ommegang Gnomegang

Now this is one fine tasting brew! Yeasty, malty, sweet, spicy and a real nice bitter/hoppy bite on the finish that just seals the deal on this excellent ale. Creamy and slick, this brew is easy on the palate and devastatingly delicious. This brew is a tad difficult to find but if/when you do find it, stock up and enjoy!!

Lagunitas India Pale Ale (IPA)
Lagunitas Brewing Company | Petaluma, California USA

Wildly aromatic and deliciously crisp with a bitter finish. Another good brew from Lagunitas! They say that this brew is made from 43 different hops and 65 various malts; I say it’s quite tasty, whatever they used! The strong, balanced flavors of caramel and grapefruit help pave the way to a warmly bitter finish and leaves a bitter aftertaste that is quite enjoyable. A good IPA that I look forward to enjoying more of!

Kona Pipeline Porter
Kona Brewing Company | Kona, Hawaii USA

Style: Porter

Not a bad porter; nothing over the top but not bad at all. Could easily see this one going better when it is poured over some vanilla or peanut butter ice cream. Nutty, chocolaty and quite a bit of dark coffee all mixed in. Very easy on the palate and quite the ‘chug-able’ brew. Again, not a bad porter.

Leinenkugel’s Oktoberfest
Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company | Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin USA

Style: Oktoberfest / Marzen

This is a so-so oktoberfest/marzen. Semi-sweet, bready, light caramel from start to finish. The flavors are very bland; so much so that I did not finish the beer. To be honest there was a lot of ‘adjunct-like’ characteristics in both the flavor and texture of this beer. Quite dry, chalky and bitter in the aftertaste. Don’t reckon I’ll be getting back to this one anytime soon.

These and many more beer reviews (including 'beer-nerd' details about each brew) are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #309
AWMiller

Joseph James Red Fox
Joseph James Brewing Inc. | Henderson, Nevada USA

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

First stout I have poured that did not go to a head! This is also my first brew to try from the state of Nevada. On its own this brew has some fine qualities in both taste and aroma (smooth, full of dark chocolate and strong coffee) but somewhat lacking in texture (quite thin) when compared to other brews in the Russian imperial stout style. The alcohol is very well hidden (9% ABV) but it is still there so enjoy responsibly! One interesting note is the thin sheen on top of the beer; at times it forms intricate designs that a barista would make on your cappuccino!

Summit Winter Ale
Summit Brewing Company | St. Paul, Minnesota USA

Style: English Strong Ale

Ohhh my this is one delicious brew!! Complexity in flavors makes this one a truly superb sipping brew! Very easy on the palate but go slow and enjoy this brew. Surely one of the best offerings from the Summit Brewery line-up. A delicious lingering of cocoa in the aftertaste as well. One of the best English strong ales (ESAs) that I have savored in quite a while!

Summit Silver Anniversary Ale

Truly one of the most complex, well-balanced IPAs that I have yet to savor! A BIG smack in the mouth from the hoppy hit up front but it is quickly smoothed down a notch from the sweet caramel undertones. A fine brew that I would quickly pair up with some oysters and mussels. The finish on this beer can be described as crisp, clean, bold and refreshing. This 25th anniversary ale is one that comes highly recommended! Summit truly has some fine brews in their line-up! As this brew slowly warms the flavors become more enjoyable.

Deschutes Inversion IPA
Deschutes Brewery | Bend, Oregon USA

Another fine brew in the Deschutes line-up! This IPA puts out a hearty punch from the hops and then mellows it out from the sweet malts. The finish keeps lingering with a slight bitter bite intermingled with sweet caramel and lemons. Deliciously flavorful and very aromatic. Quality brews such as this will surely make a hop-loving beer enthusiast out of me in no time!

These and many more beer reviews (including 'beer-nerd' details about each brew) are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #310
AWMiller

Avery India Pale Ale

Quite the bitter punch from the first sip to the last! Just enough caramel-like sweetness to lightly mellow things out before the finish; which was very sharp but clean and refreshing. Would make for a great pairing with ‘beer butt’ chicken! A great brew to try for those who are not into ‘hoppy’ brews. A very flavorful IPA and one I’ll definitely be enjoying more of!!

Rating: 3 out of 5

Krombacher Pils

Style: Classic German Pilsener

Of the Krombacher brews that I have tasted, this one is one of their better ones; that’s not saying much but just saying. This brew is very dry, crisp and refreshing. A fine choice for the BBQ or fish fry. Very light on the palate and quite an easy drinker. Would make for a great beer to use in beer-batter recipes.

Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen
Harpoon Brewery | Boston, Massachusetts USA

The ‘hefe’ was rather bland tasting through and through. Definitely not one of the better hefeweizens that I have tasted so far. The finish had somewhat of a long-lingering chalky aftertaste that I did not really care for. A tick off the ‘to-try’ list and a tick on the ‘wont-g0-back-to’ list for me.

Rating: 2 out of 5

Harpoon Summer Beer
Harpoon Brewery | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Kolsch

Skunky upon opening but not overly offensive. This was a very light bodied brew that held all the characteristics of an adjunct ale. Lots of pear and corn in both the aroma and flavor of this beer; none of which I cared highly for. Texture is on the weak side and the aftertaste is very, very bland. Not a brew I would likely go back to.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #311
AWMiller

Flying Dog Tire Bite Golden Ale
Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA

Style: Kolsch

Not a bad brew based on my initial thoughts from other reviews that I have read about this beer but still nothing to rave about either. When compared to other kolschs this brew comes up on the weak side in aroma, flavor and texture. Save your cash and go for a better brewed kolsch (IMHO)!

Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA
Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA

What a good IPA! Plenty of flavors from the hops and malts in this brew that makes it a good brew to enjoy from the IPA beer style. Very rich in texture that just begs for something creamy or a juicy steak to partner up with the beer! Nice bitter bite on the finish that leaves a tasty ‘sting’ on the palate long afterwards!

Full Sail Wassail
Full Sail Brewery | Hood River, Oregon USA

Style: English Strong Ale / Winter Warmer

Ah the aroma and flavor in this delicious brew! Those that have not tried a ‘winter warmer’ just don’t know what they are missing!! Malty sweet but not overbearing. Definitely a great brew to have by the fireside to fight off those wintry chills! Would make for a great pairing with some warm bread pudding!

Pyramid Apricot Ale
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. | Seattle, Washington USA

Style: Fruit Beer

Nice apricot-flavored brew! Very well-balanced as I was expecting either (a) a very bland tasting brew or (b) something so overly ’apricot-y’ that one cannot even swallow it! This would definitely be a fine brew to enjoy during our hot Texas summers!! Very nice flavors of wheat in the background. Deliciously aromatic – reminds me of Grandma’s apricot preserves; which makes me wonder how well some warm drop biscuits and apricot preserves would go with this brew?!

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #312
AWMiller

Pyramid Haywire Hefeweizen
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. | Seattle, Washington USA

Nothing over the top on this brew but don’t let that deter you from trying it. It’s a good beer; not too sweet and not bland. I like the dryness of this brew; tells me that it will pair up nicely with various foods and not be overbearing. Very light on the palate so you can enjoy a few without that ‘heavy gut’ feeling that some brews bring on.

Summit Extra Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Now this is a fine tasting brew! It has a nice hoppy hit up front and then is mellowed out some by sweet caramel flavors. The long-lasting bitter aftertaste is very complementary to this beer. Makes me wish I had made up some fish tacos topped with habanero-guacamole! Will definitely be getting more of these soon!

Summit India Pale Ale

Definitely one of the most enjoyable IPAs I have yet to taste! Exceptional blend of grapefruit, pine and caramel. I was even getting ‘warm butter’ in the background just before the finish. There was even just a remnant flavor of wild honeycomb in there too. Very substantial on the palate and extremely refreshing. Leaves you with a clean finish full of a robust, bitter ‘twang’ that has this brew pairing up with some smoked mussels and oysters very well!

Rating: 4 out of 5

Summit Maibock

Style: Heller Bock

Oh sweet beer-ful bliss! Although its prime ‘enjoy-ability’ time is during the Spring, this brew can be enjoyed all year long! Surely one of the best tasting heller bocks that almost had me yelling, ‘By the power of Grayskull!’ Almost that is!! The flavors of this beer leaves the palate in total disarray (but they will rebound) from the delicious silky-sweet flavors. I am lucky to have found some so late in the year and will definitely stock up on some in early Spring!

Rating: 4 out of 5

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #313
AWMiller

Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer
Rahr & Sons Brewing Company | Fort Worth, Texas USA

Style: English Strong Ale / Winter Warmer

A beautiful dark and delicious winter warmer! A very fine balance in both sweetness and a dry finish and one that you can enjoy a few of before the alcohol sneaks in to lull you away for the evening. Pairs ups deliciously with my wild hog fajitas! Definitely a great brew to enjoy throughout the winter. Grab some of this brew and Rahr’s Bourbon Barrel aged winter warmer as well when you find them!!

Saint Arnold Amber Ale
Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Houston, Texas USA

Style: Amber Ale

Quite a ‘light’ beer. Not heavy at all on the palate with a good clean slightly bitter finish and aftertaste. Very easy on my drinkability scale; which means most folks can enjoy a few without getting blitzed too quickly. One enjoyable feature was the nutty-caramel aroma and flavor that this brew offered up. Wouldn’t be a bad brew to have at the BBQ or fish fry.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA
Redhook Ale Brewery | Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

Not too impressed by this brew. Nothing much going on aroma or flavor-wise. The taste is very bland. When compared to other IPAs that I have tasted, this ones puts out like a weak golden ale. If you are looking just to whet-your-whistle, have at it. Otherwise, go with something more hearty and flavorful.

Rating: 1 out of 5

Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #314
AWMiller

Rochefort Trappistes 8
Brasserie de Rochefort | Rochefort, Belgium

To my fellow Vets on this Veteran’s Day 2011 … SALUTE!! By far this is the most wonderful dark strong Belgian ales that I have savored! While packed with a hearty ABV (9.2%!) it is well hidden in the flavors of brown sugar, dark chocolate, bananas, pears and cloves. This brew will definitely become a strong family favorite for us during the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years holidays! A bit high in price but truly worth every penny! Thick, rich and hearty and definitely a slow-sipper. Takes the chill out of the air very subtly! As the beer slowly warms, the flavors are absolutely divine!

Rating: 5 out of 5!!!!

Rochefort Trappistes 10
Brasserie de Rochefort | Rochefort, Belgium

To my fellow Vets on this Veterans Day 2011 – SALUTE!! My gosh, brews like this have me wishing I was born in Belgium! I do believe I have found the sixth beer to go into my top-5 favorites list!!! This is definitely part of my winter holiday food and drink repertoire! Some hearty smoked cheese and smoked wild game (venison, wild boar) are definitely going to be paired up with this hearty brew. I could see this being my go-to brew on those cold wintry night by the fireside and a hearty cigar. The alcohol content (11.3% ABV) is absolutely warming and very well hidden in this delicious brew! Cue the choir!!

Rating: 5 out of 5!!!!

Old 11-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #315
AWMiller

Pike IPA
Pike Pub & Brewery | Seattle, Washington USA

What a good tasting IPA! One of the finer IPAs that is not overly hoppy and not overly sweet. There is a very fine balance in this brew. A big malty hit up front with loads of citrus-y hops in the middle; long-lasting notes of warm bread in the aftertaste. Very refreshing and delicious. A delicious pairing with my creamy venison brats and wild mushroom casserole!

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

Samuel Smith’s Organically Produced Ale
Samuel Smith Old Brewery (Tadcaster) | Tadcaster, United Kingdom (England)

Style: Bitter

Oh, now that’s one delicious bitter! Truly the best tasting bitter I have savored thus far. One thing that I do know, this brewery is kicking out some fabulous brews! If I were to pick the perfect pairing, it would be the classic UK-style fish-n-chips (just use some of this beer in the batter). Crisp, clean and absolutely refreshing. Heading back to grab more of this great brew!

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Breckenridge Christmas Ale
Breckenridge Brewery | Denver, Colorado USA

Style: American Strong Ale

Just put a bow on this and Christmas is good for me! Brews such as this are enticing me to try more of the winter/Christmas ales from various breweries. The only thing I’d like to see is more ’robustness’ in the brew. It’s an American Strong Ale but really comes across as a thinned up brown ale. A strong ale, to me, will be more robust in ABV and texture. Not a bad brew to warm up with at those company and private holiday parties.

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

Great Lakes Christmas Ale
Great Lakes Brewing Company | Cleveland, Ohio USA

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer

Oh sweet delicious yuletide bliss! What a fantastic blend of hops and cinnamon and just a slight twing of ginger way in the background. Larry, I raise a toast in your honor for sending this exceptional beer! So rich and flavorful and yet very easy on the palate. This is one fine Christmas ale that will have you saying, “Ho Ho Ho!” in no time at all! Makes me yearn for some hearty cinnamon rolls!

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs