Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #1
Birddog

Last Activity: 11-24-2010
 @ 03:07 PM 
Default Extend Deer Archery Season

I don't know how many times I've seen post about gun hunters and bow hunters not getting along and it's allways bothered me. I am not nessasraly talking about this fourm . I am posting on hear because it is the LSBA web site fourm and I think it may do the most good here. I may post on others too.

Here's the deal folks. I am not only an archer but a gun nut as well. I am a Life member of the TSRA , Texas State Rifle Asso. I have just read an artical that I think all of you will be very interested in. I wish I could scan it and put the hole thing on here but I do not have the nohow.

The artical is A Modest Proposal :Extend Deer Archery Season!

By Scott Thrash, TSRA Hunting and Wildlife Director

He in this artical, ask's the Question?Can anyone give him a sound reason why we have the 5 day no hunt period between Archery and Gun season. He got various different responces but none really answered the question. So he went to the TP&W and asked Mr. David Sinclair of The Law Enforcement Division. When asked if there was a logical reason for the current season closure between archery and the general season, Mr Sinclair stated that it was his understanding that there was no reason for the closure other than,"that's the way it's allways been."

Mr. Thrash goes on to give reasons why he thinks that the Archery season should be extended those 5 days. He allso urge's all interested parties to write him and share your thought on this subject..

And I quote( With enough support, I belive we can effect positive change in Texas)..

My hats off to Mr. Thrash. He is tring to do something positive for all bowhunters in Texas. He can be reached at , Texas State Rifle Association, 4570Westgrove Drive,Suite200, Addison ,Tx, 75001-3222

Or www.tsra.com

If you can get your hands on the Nov/Dec issue of The TSRA Sportsman you can read the hole artical.

I think we should all support this man in his atempt to help all of us have 5 more days of a season that we love so much.And just think,,,He works for a Rifle Association.
Birddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

I agree, let's go for it.

Archery season used to end on Oct 31 (season went Oct1-31). When they decided to make it a five weekend archery season we lost a day and also in some years the last three or four days of October (which tended to be the coolest and also closest toward the rut). Course a lot of hunters picked up a fifth weekend so there was a tradeoff.

When we asked Parks and Wildlife back then about the five days they said that "the ranchers wanted five days off between seasons". Don't know if that was true then, but doesn't seem to be so now and looks like we might have a chance to get this changed. I say lets go for it.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Round up your posse Bob. Looks like we've got an opportunity standing before us.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 

If rifle hunters get ahold of this proposal they will almost unanomously oppose it, which is why it will never happen. I've hunted west texas and yes the ranchers and rifle hunters want the five day break. It gives the deer a break from the pressure of bowhunters (which there are quite a few more of nowadays) which in turn increases the success rate of the rifle opener. I personally don't have a problem with the intermission, and would not support getting rid of it.
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Beleg

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 09-12-2017
 @ 08:41 PM 

This has been posted before and there seems to be mixed feelings about it. Some bowhunters want it and some don't...and some don't care either way.

I think we need to get our Legislative Chairman/Secretary to do a little research and report back.

What was the original purpose for the 5 day break?

Was there a valid reason for the break, and if so, is the reason still valid?

Is this a Legislative issue or can the Director of TPWD or TPWD Commision change the season dates? (I'm almost positive the Commission sets season dates based on recommendations from the Director)

Is there any support in the halls of TPWD to extend the Archery Only season?

Are there any more questions that we need to research?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

Bob I agree that it wouldn't hurt to check into this. Especially if we have an ally in the TRA and if the current Parks and Wildlife Administration doesn't seem to be opposed.

I answered one of your questions earlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomme

When we asked Parks and Wildlife back then about the five days they said that "the ranchers wanted five days off between seasons". Don't know if that was true then, but doesn't seem to be so now and looks like we might have a chance to get this changed. I say lets go for it.

Looks like that might not be true anymore and they might be willing to open the five days for bowhunting or at least extend the archery season back to Oct 31. Either way would be a plus.

I think we could argue that this would increase hunter opportunities.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:47 PM   #7
MILNRICK

Last Activity: 12-27-2016
 @ 07:44 AM 

It seems to me that both sides have a valid argument about whether to extend the season for Archers or to retain the 5 day break between seasons.

I think a more realistic question would be 'How many BOWHUNTERS would actually use those 5 days to bowhunt?'' I
MILNRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Birddog

I just thought I'd throw it out there for ya'll to ponder. I have gotten just what I thought I would. That is one of the reasons in my opinion that we have so much trouble in sociaty today with hunting. Whether it be Archery or Gun hunting. We have to many people that don't want to get involved or they are afaid of some kind of backlash from the powers that be.In this case Gun hunters or Ranchers, or even the anti-hunters themselfs. In this case I don't think the Ranchers will care at all. If they are Ranchers that have 2,3 day or week long hunts, it gives them one more week to make $$$$$$. If you are a gun hunter( I am) get a grip, a grip on a bow riser and have the fun that we do as archers. If you are an Anti,,,Well I won't go there .

My opinion on this is just that my opinion. I am not tring to force anyone into anything other than being part of the process.

No disrespect ment to anyone. But Milnrick talked about Camp Bullis. We are not talking about one small area. We are talking about the hole state of Texas.

If you are on a big gun lease this will not effect you at all, or if you are an archer and don't want to hunt that week , fine , don't. But if is was passed it would give 5 more days , State wide for those that wanted to hunt to do so..

I like Tomme, think that we should go forth with this. Espeically with the backing of the TSRA,s Wildlife Director Scott Thrash
Old 12-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
MILNRICK

Last Activity: 12-27-2016
 @ 07:44 AM 

Birddog

I don't take offense to your response, and I'm fully aware that it's a small group of people out there. But, that small group may be more indicative of what we're facing than we may realize -- only research can tell for sure. I was only trying to point out that there are a lot of folks out there who don't have an opportunity, for whatever, reason to hunt during the week, that's all. I know I sure as heck can't and know only a very small number of folks who can.

My point was that if there's going ot be an attempt to open the season to provide more opporunity for today's hunter, be it with Bow or Gun, we may want to focus elsewhere, as in Urban Bowhunting. That would be a win for all, including property owner and motorists who experience huge property damage losses annually. Judging the amount of press and airtime Deer, Growing Deer Populations, Deer related property damage gets, it may be something that can be easily accomplished. While crowded areas may not permit rifles from being used, they may take to the use of a shotgun or black powder.

Regardless of the cause y'all take on, I hope that hunters end up gettign more opporunities afield.
MILNRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
Birddog

(Regardless of the cause y'all take on,) y'all being the key word here, make's my point exactly....
Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #11
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

I'm indifferent as to allotting the 5 days to bowhunting simply due to the fact that the availability of hunting lands is coming up short. Either due to the cost of the lease or the location of the public lands and the number of hunters using such.

Big bucks means big buck$ out in this part of Texas. When you start talking hunting lands, leases and deer, the ch-ching starts tolling.

I'll support the decision of the organization on this one.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
Beleg

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 09-12-2017
 @ 08:41 PM 

[color=green:279c9bf611]I would be one of those that would schedule my vacation around the 5 days. The end of the Archery Only season is when the deer start moving where I bowhunt. I would rather be out that week than the first week of bow season.

That being said, I don't think bowhunters would be the only ones interested in taking advantage of the 5 days. I doubt gun hunters would let bowhunters have the 5 days without an argument. Their argument would be to make it part of the General Season and bowhunters could bowhunt if they wanted to. Crossbow hunters and muzzleloader hunters have been trying to get their own season for awhile now. They might argue to make the 5 days a
Old 12-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
Birddog

Beleg, keep us posted on what is said or done..
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
roger

Last Activity: 06-28-2007
 @ 09:56 AM 

I think I have to preliminarily agree with Bob on his approach. Not saying extending it is a bad idea (I think if accomplished properly it's a great idea), but I do think some caution may be in order in how this is gone about. Scott is a huge hunting rights advocate and I'm sure he has plenty of info on what he's proposing. I'd like to hear what his thoughts and backgrounding are on the subject. I know I'd personally take a day or two off that week to bowhunt as that's the beginning of the pre-rut when scrapes and lots of rubs start popping up everywhere around my neck of the woods.
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 

[quote:46c1fc29d2]This may actually open a can of worms and take us to a place we don
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote