Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 
Default Lowering the draw weight

The purpose of the LSBA is to promote and preserve bowhunting in Texas. We feel that more women and children would be able to bowhunt if the minimum draw weight was lowered. Our research shows that many other states have a lower minimum draw weight than Texas or no minimum at all.

Some LSBA members are opposed to lowering the draw weight and some of our members want to eliminate any minimum. Many members would not be opposed to lowering the minimum draw weight as long as game animals could be harvested in a quick and humane manner.

TPWD prides itself on making wildlife and habitat decisions based on science. We ask them to make this decision based on science too.

Here's the operative sentence in the letter we sent TPWD back in June.

"If Texas Parks and Wildlife determines that the draw weight requirement could be lowered without a negative impact on wildlife resources, the LSBA would not oppose such an action."

Bob Wright
LSBA President

Bob, is this a letter sent to the TPWD or was this stating the stance of the LSBA on the issue to TBH?
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
DoubleJ

Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

That letter was sent to TPW stating LSBAs position. I for one can support a reduction in the draw weight but not an elimination of the minimum draw weight as is the current proposal.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Eric4x4

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-09-2009
 @ 09:11 PM 

I agree with Double J, but that is going to start a debate on what the minimum should be. Dropping down to 30 should give alot more people including kids to experience bowhunting and a ethical kill. What do yall think?
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

I wish we had science and testing to back up our opinions...but we don't so...

My opinion is a 30 lb bow, with a heavy enough arrow, and a sharp head, at close ranges, can effectively kill Texas size game animals.

That being said, the set up/shot should be near perfect for this weight of equipment...meaning there is little room for error.

If the person is an adult who can only pull this weight, they should have good judgement. If the person is a child, they need to have a responsible adult of good judgement with them to keep them from making bad decisions/shots.

Of course good judgement and ethics are the cornerstone of being a good bowhunter at any level.

Mark
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
Huntinfool

Last Activity: 09-07-2010
 @ 04:12 PM 

I agree that a total elimination of the minimum weight is not the answer. I'm sure with all the LSBA members help we could do some testing of youth bows and present that info to TPWD. Having said that my oldest boy made two bad shots on back to back weekends and harvested his first bow harvest of a doe and his first buck. The doe ducked and caught the arrow in the neck. It passed through 3 inches of her neck on the side but the SHARP broadhead caught the artery and she was down in 100yds. The buck he hit back in the hindquarters and 100 yds later he was piled up...I'm sure due to the SHARP broadhead. The poundage wasn't really a factor with the exception to the arrow speed.
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

I'm indifferent on the subject. I know a few people who draw 60 pounds that wound deer because they don't practice and follow a poke and hope mentality. I'd rather one person shoot a deer with a 30 pound bow that has a sharp head on a tuned arrow into the "pie plate", than a dozen shooting 70# with factory heads into "a deer".

Well, we can't make people practice or sharpen their broadheads. We can't make them match their arrow to their bow. I think this is more critical than dropping 10# of draw weight. But, to shoot a 30# bow with a poke and hope mentality is worse.

That's how I see it. But, if one wants to spend half their night tracking a deer or hog that may or may not be down, more power to them. Even the best of us do that from time to time. I can only affect what I'm capable of and hope Providence smiles on me when I release the string.

I'll support whatever stance the LSBA decides to take on the issue. Its a slippery slope for sure.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
MILNRICK

Last Activity: 12-27-2016
 @ 07:44 AM 

My understanding of the initiative is limited. This appears to be a push to get more people involved in bowhunting -something we'd all agree is needed, however; I’m not sure lowering the minimum draw weight is a wise thing to do without having any checks or balances built into the initiative, namely mandatory bow hunter education.

I’m also relatively certain that a 30# bow is capable of killing most of the “Legal” game animals found in Texas, but only if the bow can deliver an arrow and a razor sharp broadhead into an with sufficient kinetic energy to achieve enough penetration to bring about a quick, clean, humane death.

As most of you have already pointed out, there's no way to actually make sure a hunter chosing to shoot 30# would outfit themselves with properly matched equipment. At least with IBEP under their wings, a new person who chooses to shoot a light draw bow would have been given a basic understanding of an animals anatomy and body positions for obtaining correct shot placement, kinetic energy, and the difference between sharp and razor sharp.

I guess what I said in a very round about way was that I’d support a slight reduction in draw weight, ONLY IF it was accompanied by a statewide requirement to attend and successfully complete Bowhunter Education (which could or would serve as a balance for the initiative.)

I do have one question, however, and I hope it comes out worded correctly. Is the LSBA position to support a reduction in draw weight in line with the findings from the poll on the same subject?

Great discussion – keep it going.

RH
MILNRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

The LSBA is in favor of open discussion regarding draw weight. As far as I know, the LSBA has yet to take a solid position on it awaiting more reliable information.

...if memory serves me correctly.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
bustedassranch

I would not be opposed to lowering the draw weight to 35..& am all for mandatory IBEP ed. I was just wanting to know if what he posted was the view of the LSBA as an organization

After re-reading that letter for like the third time I seen where it says a letter from June...Duh..Don't worry folks I will catch up soon

Last edited by bustedassranch; 02-05-2008 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
bustedassranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILNRICK View Post
I do have one question, however, and I hope it comes out worded correctly. Is the LSBA position to support a reduction in draw weight in line with the findings from the poll on the same subject?

RH
I would hope that the LSBA has more than a poll to support the decision to reduce the draw weight. I have nothing to back up lowering the weight to 35 other than opinion. Are their any studies out there..maybe from another state that is a little more liberal?

Last edited by bustedassranch; 02-05-2008 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #11
Huntinfool

Last Activity: 09-07-2010
 @ 04:12 PM 

I think IBEP should be mandatory also. I'm sure that other states have done some studies. I know Michigan has a 30lbs. minimum and they have deer that are much heavier on the hoof than our deer and they don't have any problem with their draw weight minimum.
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote