Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 
Default Polictical Agenda

Someone on the TBH site had posted a thread wanting to make the five days in between the archery and gun season open for bowhunting. While some opposed it on that site, I think the majority were in favor. What do you think should we push for this with Parks and Wildlife?

The only downside that I could see is that some cheaters might show up on the day before the general (rifle) season with a bow, but really hunt with a rifle. Proabably ways to control for that.

At the very least I would like to see the season end on Oct 31 like it used to do. That way we would have the current five weekend season and for folks that could get out during the week there would be several extra days. This year it would end on Wednesday and there would be 3 more days to hunt than we are getting. That would mean increased hunting opportunities and should also have a positive economic impact for those who depend on hunting for a livelihood.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Cull

Last Activity: 11-20-2012
 @ 11:12 AM 

I never understood the 5 day break. The story about the landowners letting the woods "rest" is pretty lame old school stuff. I think it should go all the way to gun season. JMO
Cull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
bowjunkie

Last Activity: 02-26-2007
 @ 11:14 AM 

I agree with Cull. Never understood that rationale as if anything, bowhunting has a nominal effect on disturbing the woods as we are, by the nature of the means which we hunt, a lot more 'low impact' or stealthier as it may.

I hunt public land as you know and can tell you that the deer/woods need a rest more about mid-way through the general season if that old school mentality is the reason for the 5 days at the end of archery....lol.

Since TPWD has FINALLY inflated the archery numbers to where they should of been all along AND the fact that we 'self-imposed' the archery stamp upon ourselves to fund the season will it sway TPWD to see those 5 days in our favor? Heck...TPWD has NEVER put any of the money for our self imposed 'tax' back into archery as they do with every other stamp they created.

Actually...I would be in favor of combining it with a continuance of the youth only weekend as it would give us 5 extra days archery only and be a positive for youth. The fact that this 5 days would allow youth gun in conjunction with archery should be touted as a sign of compromise with TPWD for their listening to us years back on the youth gun every weekend in October. It's all about the kids and we would still get 5 good days of archery. Since this falls during the week...not sure how many youth would actually get a chance to go though since school is still in session. May be a moot point, but TPWD would like the proposal as they would be shown as pro-youth as would we for the compromise? For the most part it would be like a 90% archery only 5 more days. A win-win the way I see from both points.

Way I look at it is this; we are never going to get the long primative season they do up north etc. as the only reason they have those seasons is due to human population densities per square mile versus the states with large rural areas like Texas etc..it is a safety issue rather then a primitive versus modern weapons attitude by the hunters themselves. They hunt that way because they have to. This 5 extra days would probably be the only chance we ever have to get an increase to the archery only season as a whole. Though I do forsee some special 'urban' opportunities during the year as the deer herd encroaches further into the flowerbeds and manicured lawns of the rich, famous and politically connected.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

I don't have a problem with it, but I'll go with the LSBA majority in what is decided.
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote