Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM   #1
BearOmni

LSBA Region: 77
Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni
Last Activity: 08-23-2010
 @ 11:16 PM 
Default Uvalde Doe

I didnt put this in the hunting reports because it was a rifle hunt.

Well I got invited to hunt with my cousin down in Uvalde on Dec 1st and 2nd.

I had hunted my parents land in Rusk on Sat and Sunday before Thanksgiving, then on wed we (my wife and son and I) made the trek down to Galveston County for Thanksgiving with the extended family on both sides. On Friday I get this invite to Uvalde.

I quickly and eagerly accepted the invite having heard so many stories about this lease (With the wifes blessing). Well, we stayed in Dickinson/Santa Fe until Sunday morning. I drove home and took a shower, packed a bag and was on the way to Uvalde at 1:30 that afternoon.

I got to camp at about 8:30 that evening, after passing through the Luling Buccee's and almost meeting Chew and stopping in Hondo at the HEB for some corn...do yall know how much 6 bags of Mummies(sp) apple scented corn costs???, and settled in for some supper and lots of big talk about how much fun we were going to have.

Got up early after only a few hours rest and headed for the stand. This stand was pretty tall and sits on the top of a hill so I actually had a cell signal. I texted my wife a few times and surfed the web while waiting for the sun to come up.

With the sun rise I saw a myriad of assorted critters but none of them were deer. I was skunked for my morning hunt.

When I made it back to camp I had to help my cousin take a flat off his 4 wheeler. We went to town and got the tire fixed and had some welding done on the generator "cage" had lunch and just did some running around.

I sat in a diffrent stand for the evening hunt and was told that there is a Big doe that comes in to the feeder everyday. I saw this doe, and about 7 others. I waited until I had a clean shot at her and BANG! ....Then I watched her run off! Waited a while and went to look, no blood anywhere to be found. ( Found out later my scope was out of wack) So I went back to camp with a sad face and a story of a clean miss on the backstraps to be.

We showered and changed clothes (separately of course ) and went to town to watch Monday Night Football and have a few drinks.

Tuesday morning came WAY too early, and found me sitting in the same stand as the night before (wanting more sleep). Lucky for me staying awake wasnt a problem, have any of yall tried to sleep when it's 27 degrees outside? Nope no sleep here, just staying awake thinking warm thoughts.

Just after sunrise (which is WAY early in the morning) I spotted a group of three does coming in down the hill to my right. I watched them for a few min then looked in front of me. Right dead in front of me at about 30 yards is a nice 8 point staring directly at me ! We stared at each other for about 5 hours, OK maybe it was 4 or 5 min but it seemed like a long time, and he just turned and started grazing. I guess he knew he wasn't a target that morning. He was young, MAYBE 3.5 but showed some potiential, and besides being young I was not allowed to take a buck.

After watching him a few min I looked to my left and 2 does were coming in. I compaired them to the does on my right and decided that one of the ones on my left was the largest of the group.

They worked their way into a nice clearing and I waited for a clear shot and BANG! I used the tried and true patented Prosser neck shot and she dropped like a sack of taters! Yes boys and girls, that doe got PROSSERIZED!

This was the first deer I've killed this year and even though it wasnt with my bow I was happy as could be.
I got her loaded up and headed back to camp. I was getting ready to hang her on the rack when I remembered I needed LDP's. My cousin hadn't come in yet and all I had was my cell phone. Sorry for the poor quality but without further delay here is a TGP.(TailGate Pic)

Doe 1.jpg

Yes its the dreaded TGP but it's better than nothing!!

Anyway, We got her gutted and into the processor in Uvalde at about 11:30 that morning. She was ready to be picked up at 7:00 that evening. (It's nice to have friends in the right places.. my cousin is friends with the family that owns the processor plant)

So I hit the road about 8:00 Tuesday evening. By 2:00 AM wed morning the doe was nicely tucked into the freezer and I was off to bed for some much needed sleep before waking up to leave for work on Wed morning at 8:00am

It was a great couple of days and I will remember it for years to come.
A friend is on this same lease, though not there when I was, and I will be on it next year. I cant Wait!!

Thanks for reading along!
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Venison is back on the menu!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Attaboy............
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
BearOmni

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 
Thumbs up

Congrats, Frank!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Congrats on the fine doe and a good write up.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
BearOmni

Thanks for the replies yall. This is actually the first deer I've shot since High School. Still waiting on my first Bow Kill.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Way to fill a tag. After shooting two nice bucks this year, I'm of a mind to go to strictly hunting does. They don't drag so heavy....

Good job.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 

sweet congrats
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote