Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
bountyhunter

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-06-2012
 @ 04:35 PM 
Default Last Weeks Hunting Adventures

I decided before leaving to go to our little piece of heaven in East Texas that I was going to hunt with either Traditional Archer or Black Powder. The best I would ever be armed this trip would have been for the 1860s and not 21st Century.

Nov. 6 – Opening day of the 2010 Texas General Season
I had invited a fishing buddy along for the first weekend on our general season to see if he could get his first ever deer. So that he would have a better than average chance I put him in what has been nicknamed Cadillac Blind. This is where I took both of my deer last year. I myself headed over to the stand where mister Big Buck and I had our close encounter during bow season in hopes of a rematch. This time would be armed with my 50 Cal. Hawkens Carbine, and my 1860 Army 44 Cap-n-Ball revolver. The morning came and went and there were no deer seen. We were in the same stands for the afternoon hunt, with the same results.

Nov. 7 – Second Day
We head to the same stands as the day before the only difference, my buddy shot a fine Doe for his first ever deer at around 7AM. Because I was his first deer, I stopped hunting to give him a hand and some instructions. He had hunted with me last year opening weekend and helped when I had killed my big buck, but that was all the experience he had in the dressing, skinning and quartering department. After his deer was in a cooler, he was so excited that he had to pack up and leave. We said our good byes and then I headed back for some more hunting. However the second day also ended with me not seeing a single deer. After the evening hunt I did finish my new arrows. They are self-nock, with sinew wrapped fletching and broadheads.

Nov. 8 – Third Day
I forgot to set my alarm, but thanks to a call from “Mother Nature” I was only running 20 minutes late. It meant that I had to cut out eating my normal bowl of oatmeal, but it wouldn’t be the first time. I decided the night before to hunt my bow blind and see if I could put my new arrows to the test. I climbed into the blind a good 30 minutes before first light and got everything setup. As the new morning started to break, my feeder went off right on time, just after 6 AM. Within 5 minutes I could hear a deer walking behind me, but with none of my back windows open I couldn’t see the deer. I could tell however the deer was following the small trail I had cut to the back of the blind. This is the trail I use to come and go to the blind, and it also leads past the blind down to the feeder. I slowly picked up my bow to be ready and made no noise at all. I wanted to be read because if the deer did use the trail past the blind to the feeder, I would have a shot of less than 3 or 4 yards. The deer continued to come until it was right next to the door of the blind and then stopped. It was very quiet for a few moments and then I could hear the deer sniffing at the door. I knew he was checking to see if I was in the blind. I had taken the time to spray and wipe down good with scent killer and I had on clothes that had been washed in scent killer soap, so I felt good then he would not smell me. This is when not eating my oatmeal came into play. All of a sudden out of no where my stomach growled. This really spooked the deer and he light out of there crushing through the brush. I stayed in the blind till 9 AM before going to get something to eat. The afternoon hunt proved to be nothing more than spending time sitting in my gun stand watching birds.
Have you ever had the feeling you were being watched? Well this evening I was sitting in the cabin with the front door open letting the breeze cool it down some. Just before it was completely dark outside I get the sense that someone or something was watching me. I doubt it was a person, so what was the something that had the hair on the back of my neck standing up. I wasn’t what I would considered scared, but I didn’t go get my 1911 45ACP and sit it on the table next to me. With it sitting there I did feel a lot better.

Nov 9 – Day 4
Well sitting in a stand waiting on the deer had not been working so far and I had come up here this week with plans of hunting the “Old Ways” so that is what I decided to do. I headed off to the back of the property where the Cadillac Blind is located. Past it is a grove of Pin Oaks near a creek bottom that I thought would be worth still hunting. When I made it to Cadillac there was still 15 minutes before I would be able to see, so I decided to stop in for a sit. On this morning I was once more carrying my Hawkens Carbine, with my 1860 Army on my right hip and my 19 inch bowie on my left. I also had my necessaries bag with my reloading supplies for both the rifle and pistol and a canteen of water over my left shoulder. As I sat in Cadillac, I once more got the feeling of being watched. I didn’t think too much of it and as soon as it was light, I was off easing my way to the oak grove. I had been moving a long a quiet as possible, but that was almost impossible with as dry as East Texas currently is this year. Even the bare dirt crushed and crackled under my softest steps. This meant I would be doing very little moving and more standing and watching. I move along to a point where I had a good view of the oaks and also the creek bottom and found a place to hold up for a while. I had been there for the better part of 30 minutes when I caught some movement of near the creek. Sure enough it was a deer and it was going to cross in front of me at about 40-50 yards, a good range for my Hawkens. I watched and could soon see it was a buck but it was hard to tell if he was legal or not at his current range. My binoculars were in my necessaries bag which was lying on the ground at the base of the tree I was standing against. My fault for not putting them around my neck, old age getting me again I guess. As the buck passed in from of me, I could tell he had two points on his left side, but the right side appeared to not be branched. I was pretty sure this was the same buck I missed with the bow the first week of archery season, but I was not positive. I had to get my binoculars and so I eased down and tried to get them. It is hard to watch a deer and try to get something on the other side of the tree. The buck caught my movement, stopped and was looking right at me so I had to be really still. He didn’t spook, but when he moved off it was straight away from me and to a thicket. So I wasn’t able to take a shot. The new rules in East Texas for legal bucks have sure made things tough, but I’m one to follow the rules to the letter. I would rather not shoot a deer than shoot one that is illegal. The rest of the morning ended uneventful so I headed back to the cabin for something to eat and rest my old bones.

For the afternoon hunt I decided to check out the creek bottom nearer to the cabin to see if there was a place down there the deer were crossing. As I was heading down the main trail towards the creek, I once more got this feeling I was being watched. I moved along still hunting but was always checking my back trail. I never saw anything on my back trail, but knew something was back there somewhere. I did come across a spot where a buck had recently tore up pretty good and decide to sit and watch it till dark. I didn’t see anything, but twice I heard some movement off down in the area I had come through earlier. As the sun disappeared behind the trees, I knew there was only a little light left in the day and so I eased out of where I was and very quietly began to circle back to the area I had heard the noise. When I came to a spot along the creek where it was very thick I was forced back onto my original trail. Not more than 20 yards up that trail, there he was mister big buck. Only problem was he saw me a second before I saw him and two jumps and he was out of sight. At the time I didn’t give it much thought, but shortly after he jumped I no longer had the feeling of being watched or followed.

Nov. 10 – Day 5
On this morning I headed back down to area I had found the evening before. Decided to carry my bow this morning as the shot should be only 15 to 20 yards at the most. I also strapped my 1860 Army and bowie knife on my hips before heading out. I carried a stool as well so I’d have some to sit on so the old back and knees would get a little break during the morning. I felt the spot I had picked was good because it put me in bow range of the fresh scrap and a trail that was being used pretty heavy. It also had me where I was backed up to some thick stuff to help hide my silhouette. I was in place a good 15 minutes before first light and all seemed well. As the new day was born the woods around me came to life. There were birds of many kinds moving about the trees and also several squirrels out and about. Boy can squirrels make some noise in the woods for their size. A couple of times the got my attention as I just knew it was Bigfoot or something coming down through the creek bottom. At around 7:30 I decided it was time to make use of my stool and sat down. It was shortly after this, my sense of being watched came back again. I also noticed that the woods had suddenly become very quiet. The birds and squirrels had disappeared and only movement and noise in the woods was from the light breeze blowing down the creek. It stayed quite until almost 8:00 and then I heard a lone stick snap off to my right. Sure enough it was a deer and the big doe was moving down the trail. Even sitting I was in a good position for a shot if she continued down the trail. This is when I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but was so focused on the doe I paid it no mind. As the doe moved behind a big pine tree I started my draw to make my shot as she came out. It was halfway through my draw that the buck behind me snorted and bolted. I still can not figure out as dry as it was how he got that close to me without me hearing him. Sure my old ears are not as good as they were years ago, but still I should have heard something. I didn’t get a good look at the buck, but I’m almost sure it was the same big buck that I have run into more than once. Could it be that this buck is “Bird Dogging” me? I sure was starting to think that was the case. He seemed to show up every time I get this feeling of being watched.
Oh and needless to say the big doe got safely away.

That afternoon I was back down in the same creek bottom, but decided to move from where I had been in the morning. I was hoping if the big buck came back he would be looking where I had been and not where I was. This new spot wouldn’t offer me the same type of shots so I opted to carry the Hawkens. The only thing that happened this afternoon was it started to rain an hour before dark. I was prepared for the rain so I headed back up to the cabin. I had not water proofed my Hawkens, so I didn’t want it to get wet. Once back up at the cabin I started to fire the Hawkens for good measures and put a fresh load in her, but felt it hadn’t gotten that wet.

Nov. 11 – Day 6
Veterans Day I was told by a friend would be lucky for me as I am a Vet. I hoped he was right as I prepared for the morning hunt. The rains from the evening before had stopped but would have the leaves good a wet so I could move quietly. I was going back down to the creek bottom hoping the deer would show up again. If they didn’t show by 9:00 I was going to do some still hunting and check out some spots on the property that we generally don’t go. I was carrying my Hawkens, Army 44 and bowie knife with me and I quietly made my way down to the creek to the place I had left my stool. I was on the opposite side of the creek than the morning before with a different thicket to right and back. If the deer came and followed the same trail as the morning before I would have about 30 or so yard shot which is perfect for the open sights on my Hawkens. The birds and squirrels made their appearance again just after first light. The only difference was the squirrels were not making a much noise with the leaves being wet from the rain the evening before. Around 7:45 a rabbit came out of the thicket to my right and moved along down towards the creek. Just as I was debating on taking the rabbit more movement in the thicket caught my attention. It was only briefly that I saw the movement but knew it to be that of a coyote. We do have a standing rule that if you hunt on my place and you get a shot at a coyote you will take the shot. When we first bought the place is was not uncommon to see 10-15 rabbits when we took walks. That 10-15 rabbits has quickly gone down to seeing a rabbit every now and then. I figured that the coyote was trailing the rabbit, so I eased the hammer back on the Hawkens and waited for him to appear out of the thicket. He did appear in a moment, but not where I had expected and it was not a coyote. In a blink of an eye less than 10 yards to my right was a wolf, a big wolf. I had heard stories that there were wolves in East Texas, but I had never seen one in my many hours in the outdoors, so I just counted them as stories. Now I am a true believer that there are wolves in those woods. I guess the shock from this wolf being there so quickly and so close made me act without even thinking. I swung my rifle in his direction and this is when he noticed me. I’m sure this shocked him just as much and he had the same type of reaction. He quickly burred up, showed his teeth and gave a low deep growl. At this point my sights were between his eyes and I touch off the round. However only the percussion cap fired and did not set off the powder charge. The noise from the cap did make the wolf back up some, but not leave. Again I acted without thought as my right hand went down for my revolver. It too is black powder, but does not have the same issues as the rifle with the caps being straight in line with the power charge. I was pulling the revolver from its holster when the wolf decided it was time to leave. I did bring the revolver out; hammer cocked, but did not fire. Wolves are protected and with him in retreat I was no longer in danger. It did have me worried though as the direction he retreated was towards the cabin. I slung the rifle onto my back where both of my hands were free. With the Army 44 in my right hand and my bowie knife in my left I headed back to the cabin. Needless to say, this close encounter had shaken me just a little. Knowing I was not the only apex predator in the woods of my property was a bit unnerving. I slowly made my way back to the cabin, now wondering if it had been the wolf that had been watching me and not that big buck. Or was it the buck and the encounter with the wolf just a one time event?

When I arrived back to the cabin I meant to get my arms back up to reliable status. However the first thing I did was text my wife about what happened. I then took her advice and strapped my 1911 45ACP on my hip. The Hawkens did fire with a second cap, but it was a delayed fire, meaning there was a second or so between the cap going off and the main charge firing. I did find out the wolf had made a very wise choice of retreating when he did as all six cylinders fired flawlessly from the Army 44. I spent about two hours cleaning, reloading and water proofing both weapons.

For the afternoon hunt I decided I’d go back over and hunt the treestand I had hunted the first two days. Really didn’t expect to see anything, but at least I wouldn’t be worried about something sneaking up behind me. As it turned out I didn’t see anything that evening but I did notice that all the corn was gone from the morning feeding. This means either the deer had show up this morning or a huge herd of rabbits or squirrels had been there. So I decided that it would be worth coming to this stand the next morning.

When I returned to camp my friend Robert was there, the only one of the normal gang that shows up for “Guy Weekend” every year. Everyone else had some happening with their family or had come down with the flu bug that is going around. I did notice that Robert was a bit uneasy as I arrived and asked what was wrong. He told me that for the past half an hour or so he felt like something was watching him. So I’m not nuts after all was the first thoughts that came to my mind. I then explained that I had been having the same feelings all week and then told him about my encounter with the wolf that morning. He then asked if we should be outside as it was starting to get dark. Well since the meal of the evening was steaks over the fire, yep we needed to be outside. I did keep the Army 44 and Bowie strapped to my hips. At this point I must explain that I am not the kind of guy that gets spooked easy, but at this point I was a little spooked. It was about this time that all hell broke loose in the woods right in front of the cabin. I can only guess that my friend the big buck had found a tree or brush and he was working it over but good. He was also grunting, snorting and pawing the ground. I had gotten out of the stand early that evening because I knew Robert was going to be arriving so there was still plenty of light. So I went in and got my rifle and grunt call to see if mister big would come show himself. He didn’t and shortly after I started grunting, he stopped doing what he was doing. At first I thought it might mean he was coming to my grunts, but after a few minutes there was nothing. So I started to build the fire and it was then that the feeling of being watched came back. So I had to conclude that it was the buck that had been watching me all week like I first thought and not the wolf, or at least that is my story and I’m sticking to it.

The rest of the week and weekend there was absolutely nothing to report. The big buck seemed to disappear, maybe because there was more than one of us in camp and there were no deer to be seen accept a small doe eating along my easement on Friday afternoon. I didn’t get a kill, but man I’ll never forget this week in the woods.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bounty...v=wall&ref=sgm

Last edited by bountyhunter; 11-16-2010 at 08:09 PM..
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
bountyhunter

BTW here is a picture of the arrows I finished while I was up there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058-3.JPG (280.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
rtread

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-02-2014
 @ 07:21 PM 

Very interesting, Derek! The wolf is definitely lucky. I know the feeling of being watched....it is eerie. Walking to my hunting area out in New Mexico I have that feeling frequently and many times find out later I WAS being watched. Haven't seen a wolf there but have had close encounters with mountain lions! Sorry you didn't get a deer but I could tell from your account that you had a really good hunt. Keep after 'em! Ray
Old 11-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Great story Derek, nice arrows. You will get the Big Buck next time, and then the wolf will show himself again. Bob
Old 11-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
bountyhunter

Thanks guys. I really hope mister wolf will head somewhere else after our little get together. There is a lot of National Forest up there where he can hunt and leave my little place alone. The deer can avoid my place really quickly given a good reason and I try not to give them that reason. Having a wolf or wolves running around up there will give they a reason to get the heck out of Dodge. I would like to get a picture of him or one of his pack to be able to confirm they are up there.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Nice need to submit to the magazine!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
bountyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggen View Post
Nice need to submit to the magazine!!
I thought about sending it to Cameron, but it has more about muzzleloader hunting than bow hunting in it. What do think?
Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
BOBSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
I thought about sending it to Cameron, but it has more about muzzleloader hunting than bow hunting in it. What do think?
Derek, good story never the less. Sometime, depending on space and other stories, this could be a good one for the magazine. Cameron is no longer the editor, so anyone wishing to submit a story or photos for the magazine can send them to me warden4424@yahoo.com, or Dena at denakana@gmail.com, and we will get them to the right people. Bob
Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #9
bountyhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSTER View Post
Derek, good story never the less. Sometime, depending on space and other stories, this could be a good one for the magazine. Cameron is no longer the editor, so anyone wishing to submit a story or photos for the magazine can send them to me warden4424@yahoo.com, or Dena at denakana@gmail.com, and we will get them to the right people. Bob

Bob if you would like I'll send it to you in Word when I get home.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
BOBSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Bob if you would like I'll send it to you in Word when I get home.
That will be fine, send pics with it if you have any. Bob