Thread: Jim Hickman
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
M.E.B.

I shot several tournaments with Jim over the years. I never saw him between shoots but really enjoyed shooting with him when we hooked up.

When my boys were small he was one of the people that did not mind having kids in his group or the time it took to chase down their missed arrows.

In later years he and Chris hooked up and they let me tag along.

I saw him shoot the Iron Man in Austin when one maybe two trips around the course was plenty for my 22 years younger body.

Jim always had a cooler in the back of his truck with about every thing that you would want to drink and he shared.

At last years shoot in Chester I came looking for a long bow. He happened to have one for sale. A Jim and Buddy 21 st Century New Moon. I looked at it that morning and put a few arrows through it. I told him I would probably look at it again later in the day.

I saw him that afternoon and he asked if I liked the bow and I said
"Yes how much you want for it?" He handed it to me and said "It is yours." I told him "Jim I can not take your bow. I will buy it from you." He said "Look if I take your money it will just piss me off when I get home. It is a good bow and needs to be shot. I can not pull the weight go and shoot an elk or something with it."

And I just about pissed him off by decling a couple more times and finally took it to keep him from putting a whupping on me. I really felt kinda guilty about it as we had never shared anything more than a few lunches and shooting a few targets together over the years. No one had ever been that generous to me before.

Well I did not get to hunt with it last year due to work interferances. I did refinish it and put a name on the bottom limb, Gentleman Jim.

I got into longbows this year and now have 5. I am going to try really hard to kill something with the bow he gave me this fall.

I invited him to my lease hog hunting this summer but he just did not feel up to it. His knees really seems to bother him at Chester this year. I built a deer blind that I could drive up to and had really hoped to get him into it this deer season.

On the exterior Jim could seem like a grouchy old fart but it was just a front. He had a heart of gold would do anything for you.

I will miss Jim. Mike.

Last edited by M.E.B.; 08-29-2007 at 10:03 PM..
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote