View Single Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
BUFF
Just Me

Default If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tuff

I jumped up at 4:30 am to make a quick run over to the BAO to top off my feeders and put up my Double Bulls. Stopping in Weatherford for corn and supplies, arrived at the lease around 10.30 am. First big challenge was adding steps to the tree that Dale Love had hung. He gave me a demo of how to get into the stand that went some thing like this. “Jump over onto this limb, swing under that limb then just leap between those two limbs and you are there". Being about 200 pounds heavier than Dale and with no real ninja training I added four more steps to the tree. With the tree stand fixed and the Blind up, I started on my feeder.

I had guessed each of the two feeders would need about four bags to top them off. With town a half hour away I went ahead and bought ten bags.
When I opened the lid to the first feeder it was bone dry so I used seven bags to fill it.

Decision time, Do I drive to the other stand site and set up my blind and quad pod knowing I only have three bags of corn or do I make a run for town and hope to get back before it starts to rain?

Around 1:00pm I’m back at the second site. After hacking out a place for the blind and popping it up, it a straight down pour, I head back to the truck to get some rope to tie it down. I whack the side of the barrel as I walked by. It is full. Popping the lid it is completely full. My little 12 volt battery is stone dead. Jumping in the truck I tare off for town again. When the lady at Tractor supply tells me she sold the last 12 volt rechargeable battery fifteen minutes ago my heart drops. I spend the next hour wandering around Graham Texas looking for a battery to no avail.

Decision time, it is pouring down raining. I now have a three hundred and fifty pound pile of ruined corn in my truck and it is five hours home.

Good ol John Shelly lives in Mineral Wells, I can stop at the store there, buy a battery and beg him to put it on later. Then it hits me, I never tied my blind down. I had just jumped in the truck and left a brand new DB Matrix sitting, waiting to become a box kite. So around 5:00 pm I get back to the ranch with a new battery and solar panel. As I slipped into the bed at just before mid night my little wife rolled over and just grinned at me, with that look every husband knows.

I just love deer hunting.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote