View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
ldt

LSBA Region: 79
Default Another West Texas Mule Deer

Well I finally get to do some Mule Deer hunting. After work Friday evening I decided to see if I could get on a Mule deer buck for a quick stalk. I went out and started glassing and it wasn't long before I spotted a nice mature Buck. He was with a doe across a canyon so I made my way around behind him and started my stalk. I got to about 100 yards and got busted by a whitetail doe. She ran right toward the Mule deer buck and doe and spooked them off. It was getting late so I decided I would go to the east pasture and try and get on the Buck Ronnie & I saw during his hunt. Once there I started driving around trying to locate the buck. I spotted a 6 point bedded down just off the road. I glassed him for a few seconds and he got up and trotted out about 100 yds and stopped right beside the big buck I was looking for, which I had not see until then. I got my bow and call and tried to get close enough to get a shot. I got to about 75 yards and they both moved off another 50 yrd and stopped. I wondered why they did not run any farther, that's when I spotted the 4 does. I proceeded to close the distance with the bucks watching me and the does. I got to 55 yards and they were still standing there watching the does. As I came to full draw,the bigger buck was slightly quartering toward me so I picked a spot on his front shoulder and let it fly. The arrow flew true and he mule kicked and nearly fell down. I watched him go down about 50 yds from where I shot him. I retrieved my arrow and backed out. I let him lay for an hour and went back in the dark to trail. As I was trailing I jumped him up and he went about 10 yds and went down again. 1 more quick shot and he was mine. He turned out to be an old heavy horned 3X5 about 20" wide. I sure like huning those Mule Deer bucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1261 (Medium).jpg (66.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1262 (Medium).jpg (63.4 KB, 33 views)
ldt is offline   Reply With Quote