Thread: Brushy Hill
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #4
Horitexan

Congrats on choosing Brushy Hill!

There really isn't any "better" time to hunt Brushy Hill, in my opinion. As the webmaster for the ranch, I manage to get down to the ranch every couple of weeks year-round (including deer season) and I've seen big deer all season. Personally, I like the Pre-rut (Nov.) because the ranch hasn't been pressured nearly as much as it will be during December and the post-rut/late season because they're hungry and seem to come to the corn- which means that you can play feeders and the corn route and catch them traveling between them, almost like patterning them.

The MAIN thing is your setup- if you brush-in your setup properly, so that you CAN NOT be seen, you'll see deer and likely good deer. I've yet to see a single hunter, that REALLY knew how to hide their setup, that didn't at least see a good deer and most have at least had shot opportunities on a shooter. Unfortunately, many hunters that go to day-leases are accustomed to hunting leases or low-pressure areas where they can get away with just throwing up a pop-up without hiding it with brush or with sitting in a 12' tripod in the open or over a 6' brush- that kind of setup might work with low-pressure, but it just isn't going to work at a day-lease where the deer see hunters every day.

I have a lot of places to hunt but I hunt Brushy Hill most of the time simply because it has so much game and the quality of game is so high. You made a good choice about where to hunt. Brush-in your setup REALLY well and you'll have a great time!

Nick