View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #281
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Magic Hat #9
Magic Hat Brewing Company | Burlington, Vermont USA

Style: Fruit/Vegetable Beer

Yuck… just for the record, I would drink a Coors Light before having another one of these nasty brews. This beer (wanna-be) was not good at all. No life. No flavor. Heck even the label on the bottle was irritatingly … well, irritating! Maybe it is just that I am not too keen on these fruity beers but this one had me thinking I was sucking out the juice from a rancid apricot and that is just something in a beer that I can easily do without. So maybe if one is into fruit beers this might be right up your alley; but for me I keep smacking myself in the head and asking why I keep trying these nasty concoctions and not sticking with what works for me?!

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Magic Hat Circus Boy

Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer

Circus boy … yeah I should have stopped and put it right back on the shelf. At least they got the name right as it would be something to expect to be served at the circus! This is just a bland pale wheat ale (Magic Hat says it was a Hefeweizen just to be clear) that has been infused with loads of lemon-grass. Lemon-grass is amazing and very flavorful; but not so with this brew. I did not even get through this bottle; poured it down the drain about half-way through it. Definitely made my “do-not-try-again-ever-under-any-circumstance” list! Surely there are much better brews out there from Vermont than those from Magic Hat??!!

Magic Hat Hex

Style: American Amber/Red Ale

I am beginning to get embarrassed writing up these beer reviews for my tastings of Magic Hat brews. This is the ‘Hex’ and I reckon that is what they will have to put me under in order to get me to enjoy any of their brews! Seriously, I have tried several from their line up and none have impressed me in any way except to be a brewery line to tell folks not to try. I will say that of those brews from Magic Hat that I have tried, this one the most preferred. The sweetness and bitterness in the beer were balanced but very lack-luster and again another bland beer. Give it a try as it may be one that you might like; but if you don’t like it, well, it is not like I didn’t warn ya!

Saint Arnold Brown Ale
Saint Arnold Brewing Company | Houston, Texas USA

Style: Brown Ale

Now this is a good brown ale to sink your taste buds into! Very robust in flavor and not heavy on the belly! Easy to drink would pair up well with some hearty smoked meats at the BBQ. This one had a nice smooth texture to it but it was also a little bit ‘chewy’ (which is a plus for me). This would be a great starter brew for those that haven’t tried any in the brown ale style of brews!

Delirium Nocturnum
Brouwerij Huyghe | Melle, Belgium

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

If you like your brews a bit on the strong side then this is a brew you should come to enjoy. With robust aromas and flavors this brew will surely appeal when paired up with a hearty beef/steak meal! Wonderfully creamy texture and a hearty malty flavor, not to mention a generous amount of alcohol in there, makes this an excellent brew to sit back and savor slowly. One mention on the alcohol though, it is very well-hidden amongst all of the flavors in this brew and as savory as it is go easy and enjoy responsibly on this one!

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote