View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Shane

Ron, you are right when we're talking about protecting bowhunting in the state laws and regulations - the main purpose of the LSBA. But I'm also talking about other things that are related to bowhunting that are always on people's minds. The youth hunting opportunities are a great example of that. That's one of the biggies for me with the LSBA. For others, things like 3D shoots are big. There is "competition" with ASA, TBOT, and other great organizations for shooters, but 3D has potential to be a big draw. Maybe if there was a drawing for a hunt or two for an adult, more people would join just for the chance at that. Things of that nature are what I had in mind when I said "what's in it for me?".

Jo, I think a big key to getting more people informed about the LSBA is local regional representation, and a lot of hard work by dedicated volunteers, which are hard to find. If every major city had at least one LSBA rep and that person was active and visible around the local ranges and archery shops, then that would do a lot towards getting more people introduced to the LSBA. With more reps scattered around, it might be possible to sponsor and organize more youth archery instruction, bowhunters safety instruction, 3D shoots, and all that kind of stuff.

I'm on the board of a non-profit, and I know how hard fundraising is. The banquet is great, but it could be built upon and grown to attract larger crowds I'm sure. I don't know if a big expensive speaker would be the draw or not. It probably wouldn't be THE thing that would make me choose to drive a few hours and stay in a hotel and all of that. The activities surrounding the banquet could be the biggest draw. This year's banquet was my first, and the dinner and banquet and auction were all great. We got there early in the day, as I was expecting a much larger crowd to be there for all the activities of the day that were advertised. There wasn't much of that going on though, for whatever reason. If it were possible to get more activities - maybe even get some "celebrity" bowhunters to be there and have them involved in seminars, shooting/equipment demonstrations, Q&A sessions, and things like that.... Maybe even a pro/am type 3D shoot where a celebrity archer and a regular LSBA member team up in the competition.

The charity I'm involved with here puts on a celebrity quail hunt every year. It's not cheap for us to fly in celebrities and their spouses and put them up in a hotel for a weekend, but we net $100K or more most years, and it's great PR for the organization. If there was kind of a mini-SHOT show for bowhunting put on by the LSBA, maybe some of the TV personalities would come to promote their show and/or products. If so, they'd pay their own way. Getting them involved in some of the activities would be a big draw. Get Tiffany there, and you'd have a few hundred guys show up. Maybe partnering with Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops to put on such an event would make it more doable. It would certainly get you more publicity and draw a bigger crowd.

Seriously, though. I think turning the annual banquet into a bigger event would be the best way to get bigger crowds. Of course, it would be even more work, requiring more help and more money. No easy answers.

Last edited by Shane; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote