View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Walking_Eagle

LSBA Region: 78

Bobster,
We have not gone wrong, that is the way it has always been. I think the LSBA has done everything possible to spread the word. As Idt said, this has been happening since day one of the association. We are a "Hard-Core" group, talking, eating, amd sleeping bowhunting. and only those that share our passion will be prospective members. My guess is that amounts to about 5% of the "all american sportsmen" that hunt the once "special archery season".
The 5% understand the need for repersentation to protect the sport, and are not won over by beads and bangles. A patch, window decal and a magazine iare good advertisements to promote the association.
The LSBA offers a website with a discussion forum for the publics use, not just members, that is not appears not to be popular. I guess maybe we need to have more threads about trucks, guns, etc. instead of just bowhunting.
The LSBA started and maintains a records system that is available to the public, not just members, and has "actively persued entries from bowhunters state-wide. But even a large number of our own members don't support it.
I don't have the answers to the problems that have plagued the LSBA forever. I think that we need to insure that the sevices we offer our members, such as the magazine, are of the quality to relay the message that we are "The only spokes-person for the bowhunters in Texas.
I do know that in 1990, we had almost 2300 members and the banquet that year drew over 330 guests. One of the reasons is that we spent the money to have national known speakers at our banquets.
We have not "gone wrong", we just need to tune-up the motor a little bit. It is not a matter of where we have been for the last 10 years. Where have they been?
Ron
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote