Thread: Crossbows
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
tinman

LSBA Region: 75

BAR - the LSBA doesn't own or operate any 3D ranges. We rely on independant archery clubs to host our Regional/State shoots and most (if not all) of those clubs do not allow crossbows. I have asked on other boards and gotten no response, does anyone know of any archery clubs in Texas that currently allow crossbows on their 3D range?

Our backstops will barely stop arrows out of the 20# Genesis bows...we couldn't shoot crossbows at most youth events safely if we wanted to. For these and other safety concerns, you probably won't be seeing any crossbows at our youth events.

Also, as Jack mentioned, our role is to promote hunting with archery equipment...that hasn't changed. Some of us feel that this role could be even more important today & in the future as many hunters will simply take the fastest road to October.

As to promoting safety, responsibility, & equipment limitations to future crossbowhunters, I agree that it will be important. The IBEP/NBEF has a booklet and class specifically for crossbowhunters. I think that the LSBA should leave that to the Bowhunter Education people and TPWD to figure out.

Maybe it's time for someone to form a "Lone Star Crossbow Association" to represent all these "new hunters". I'd be happy to work side-by-side with this group to stop more weapons from being added to the October season.

Looks like www.texascrossbowhunter.com might have some answers in the near future.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope

Last edited by tinman; 06-10-2009 at 01:23 AM..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote