View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #283
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Big Sky Montana Trout Slayer Ale
Big Sky Brewing Company | Missoula, Montana USA
Not purchased; received as a gift.

Style: Wheat Ale

Here’s one of my all-time go-to brews! A delicious, very delicious, pale wheat ale from Big Sky Brewing – the Trout Slayer. Now being an angler at heart, fishing for trout has been something I’ve enjoyed doing since a young lad fishing the banks of the lovely White River in Arkansas. So naturally when I saw this brew I had high hopes for it to be something stellar, and it sure didn’t let me down! I’d put this up against any other brew in the same style and I know it would come out on top! Very well balanced flavors of the bitterness of the hops and the sweetness of the malts. So if you are looking for an excellent all-around brew, give this one a try soon! An excellent pairing with some spicy stuffed duck breasts and wild rice.

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Anchor Humming Ale
Anchor Brewing Company | San Francisco, California USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Delicious hops right from the get-go! I’d have to score this one right at the top of the list of the American Pale Ales (APAs) that I have tried thus far! Paired up excellently with my meat-lovers pizza! Although hoppy, this brew is fantastically refreshing without an bitter or harsh aftertastes (and that’s a lot coming from a malt-head like myself!). I dare say that this one may become my favorite from Anchor’s line of brews!!

North Coast PranQster
North Coast Brewing Co. | Fort Bragg, California USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Belgian Strong Ale

Great day in the mornin!! My first thought when tasting this beer, “Oh my! That is delicious!!” This brew is an excellent rendition of the delicious Belgian Strong Pale Ales. This brew has so many flavors going on at once that you are going to enjoy something different on each sip. The creamy-slick texture of this brew is one to be admired; so good it almost makes one want to chug that brew down! You can but you would definitely miss out a loads of flavors that this brew provides. There is quite a bit of alcohol in this one so keep an eye on how many you are enjoying; strong but hardly noticeable. I’m sure that once you start trying out these Belgian ales, PranQster will become a big favorite of yours too!

Abita Pecan Harvest Ale
Abita Brewing Co. | Abita Springs, Louisiana USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Amber Ale

Unfortunately I was not too impressed with this brew. My expectations were high because with most “nut” ales it is made by using some sort of elixir to get that nut taste in the brew. Abita uses real Louisiana pecans in the making of this brew so I was really expecting something good out of it. I hope on future runs of this ale that it is ‘beefed’ up a bit to make it more robust. It came across as a watered-down brew with light hints of pecan in with it. When I try it again, I’ll probably have me a big ol’ slice of homemade pecan pie with it!

Fuller’s ESB
Fuller Smith & Turner PLC | Chiswick, London, United Kingdom (England)
Not purchased; received as a gift.

Style: Premium Bitter/ESB

One amazingly delicious beer! Most folks get thrown off by the term “ESB”, or Extra Strong Bitter. This beer by no means is overly bitter; heck I have had other ales that would bruise your cheeks from making ya pucker up so much from all the bitterness! Not so with this brew! The taste and texture of this brew is like silky smooth chocolate or toffee with a hint of orange or lemon; and it only gets better as the brew warms up! Truly a brew made for you to kick back and sip a few and relax!

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote