View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #327
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Bridgeport Kingpin Double Red Ale

Style: American Strong Ale

Hailing from Oregon’s oldest craft brewery and new addition to my “hall of fame”, this is one fantastic brew!! Little did I know the joys that awaited my taste buds when I purchased this brew!

From a moderate pour this brew hefted out a large (2-finger thick) bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished. The body clarity was clear and the body color was a lovely reddish-brown. This brew also put out some of the most decorative lacing I’ve yet to see from a brew!

Immediately upon opening I knew that this was going to be a very special brew because the aromas were just magnificent. Scents of caramel, grapefruit, lemons, floral hops and even bananas. Starting off this brew was hoppy and sweet showcasing those amazing flavors of caramel, grapefruit, lemons and bananas. It finishes off just the same with a long-lasting aftertaste of sweet caramel and bananas. It’s a superb balance between hops and malts all the way through.

Medium-bodied with a slick texture and lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew is truly a moderate brew; go slow and savor the flavors.

I’m definitely going to enjoy more of this beer and I can’t wait to try more beers from Bridgeport!! Some smoked venison would pair very well with this brew!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub | Portland, Oregon USA
Bier Shop – Beer & Wine World | Mansfield, TX
ABV – 7.5%
IBU – 65
Serving type – 12 oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 45°-50°F.

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Avery dugenA

Style: Imperial/Double IPA

Avery Brewing puts on some brews that you just can’t go wrong with and this brew is not exception to the rule!! I’ve been wanting to try this brew for a very long time; just haven’t had the opportunity to find it in my area. One of the most insanely aromatic and flavorful IPAs that have crossed my taste buds yet! Truly a brew that I recommend very highly.

Starting with a moderate pour this brew lops out a hefty (2-finger thick) head that is bubbly, off-white in color, and very slow diminishing; very, very, veeeeery slow! And som e of the most lovely lacing effects left on the glass all the way through!

Again I say that this brew is insanely aromatic with scents of bread, oranges, pine/resin, and peaches. This brew starts off hoppy and malty with delicious notes of bread, oranges and peaches. Finishing off it is slightly bitter with a nice long-lasting effect from the warmth of the alcohol. On the bottle it says “brutally bitter”, I’d agree but now that my taste buds are acclimating themselves to these hoppy brews, it’s not so bad and coming from a malt-head like myself that’s a good thing!

Medium-bodied with a ultra smooth texture and very lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], I’d score this brew as a definite ‘moderate’ brew. Go slow and enjoy all the flavors that this brew provides.

Yet again Avery doesn’t cease to amaze! So much so that I have found another brew to add to my “hall-of-fame”!! Seriously going to pair this one up with some smoked salmon, fried fish, or perhaps some cheesy pasta next time!! Oh… this brew gets much more delicious as it slowly warms up!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA
Bier Shop – Lone Star Beverages | Carrollton, TX
ABV – 8.5%
IBU – 93
Serving type – 22 oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 50°-55°F.

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs

=========================

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote