View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #325
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Left Coast Voo Doo

Style: Stout

Having stopped by one of my favorite beer stores, I noticed some new brews that I have yet to try out. Picked up a few from Left Coast as I’ve never seen any in our area and I just can’t pass up on any new arrivals! Being a malt-head I was really excited to try out this new stout…

From a moderate pour rate this brew hoisted up an average (1-finger thick) head that was creamy and mocha colored. The body was a clear black with subtle brown/ruby colored hues when held up to the light. The head slowly diminished and left a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Immediately upon opening the senses are flooded with the intense aromas that this brew puts forth. Sweet scents of caramel, chocolate, coffee, roasted barley, coconut, rum, and dark fruits. The flavor of this brew was just as intense as that of its aromas. It started off malty with delicious flavors of: chocolate, caramel, coffee, coconut and a subtle hint of wood (like that of beers stored in bourbon barrels). This brew has an awesome long-lasting aftertaste that is quite malty and no bitterness whatsoever.

Medium-bodied with a thick (somewhat ‘chewy’) texture and a fizzy carbonation level. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew would be a ‘moderate’ drinker. Go slow and enjoy those flavors; especially as the brew continues to slowly warm.

I can’t wait to savor more brews from Left Coast as this one was definitely a winner in my book! As for some excellent food pairings, I would recommend: beef/buffalo/bison, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc.), venison, wild boar, and wild fowl (both upland and water). This brew would also make for an excellent dessert beer as well!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Left Coast Brewing Company | San Clemente, California USA
Bier Shop – Lone Star Beverages | Carrollton, TX
ABV – 6.8%
IBU – not listed
Serving type – 22oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 40°-45°F.

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Abita 25th Anniversary Vanilla Double Dog

Style: American Strong Ale

Received a nice set of brews to enjoy from my son-in-law at Christmas! Some I have already savored and this one which I had not at the time. Needless to say I couldn’t wait for the opportune time to savor this brew!

From a moderate pour this brew laid out an average-size head (approximately 1-finger thick) that was creamy and quickly dissipated. The body was clear and dark-brown in color with some ruby hues when held up to the light. This brew left some good lacing effects on the glass while I was savoring it.

This brew was very aromatic from the opening of the bottle all the way down to the last sip and for a good while afterwards. Aromas of caramel, chocolate, nuts, dark fruits (plums), and vanilla. The flavors held up just as well as the aromas. Starting out it was malty-sweet with hints of chocolate, vanilla, nuts, plums, cinnamon and nutmeg. This brew finished out malty-sweet with a long-lasting aftertaste of vanilla.

Medium-bodied with a creamy texture and ‘fizzy’ carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew ranks as a ‘moderate’ brew go slow and enjoy!

Overall this is a good brew but a wee bit on the sweet side for my taste; finishing the bottle would have been much easier if I had paired it up with cheese (like smoked gouda). Still this is a nicely amped-up brew from Abita! Thanks SIL!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Abita Brewing Co. | Abita Springs, Louisiana USA
Bier Shop – Received as a gift.
ABV – 7%
IBU – not listed
Serving type – 22oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 50°-55°F.

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

=========================

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote