View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #323
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Stout

I’m having a bit of a time getting my taste buds around this brew. Not in that it is flavorful or complex but rather in that it is bland, flat, and has an ’old’ taste to it. Starts off rather dry and malty and then finishes off dry and chalky (really ’chewy’ in a bad sense).

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) huge creamy tan colored head that very slowly diminished; clear black colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – toasted bread, chocolate, coffee
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off dry; finished off dry/chalky with light alcohol notes and coffee in the aftertaste

Rating: 2 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Big Sky Powder Hound Winter Ale
Big Sky Brewing Company | Missoula, Montana USA

Style: Amber Ale

Quite the hoppy winter ale with just enough sweet caramel undertones to make for an easy drinker. Having a hard time with the classification of this brew – some sites show this to be a strong ale but it is more along the lines of a hoppy amber ale. I’d recommend some spicy chicken fajitas or perhaps some spicy fish tacos to pair up with this brew.

Bier Shop: Dr. Jeckyll’s Beer Lab – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 6.2%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large frothy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grass, oranges, biscuit dough, honey
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off slightly malty; finished off slightly hoppy with long-lasting slight bitterness

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

Victory Yakima Glory Ale
Victory Brewing Company | Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA

Style: Black IPA

Good hoppy bite all the way through from start to finish on this brew. Just enough roasted malts to lightly sweeten things up just a tad. Very aromatic with some delightful tobacco scents in the background. Delightfully rich and flavorful by itself; this brew would pair up very well with a hearty grilled rib-eye steak!

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 8.7%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark ruby colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – roasted malts, grapefruit, herbs, tobacco
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off dry/slightly hoppy
Pairing Recommendations - beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, burgers, lamb, venison/wild boar

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Founders Curmudgeon
Founders Brewing Company | Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Style: Altbier / Old Ale

The bar has been set!! Now this is a brew one can truly come to appreciate all year long! Excellent flavors and aromas! For an old ale this bugger is holding out like a full-bodied ale but tastes easy enough of the palate to enjoy a few throughout the day. Flavors and textures come off like a fine Chilean merlot – smooth and very fulfilling.

Bier Shop: Received as a gift!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 9.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slowly (oh sooooo slowly) diminished; hazy copper colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – candy sugars, raisins
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off sweet; finished off sweet with long-lasting sugar (but not overpowering) and light alcohol notes in the aftertaste along with honey and raisins
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, pasta (cheese/cream), pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote