View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #322
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Magic Hat Howl (a.k.a. Black As Night Winter Lager)
Magic Hat Brewing Company | Burlington, Vermont USA

Style: Schwarzbier

Finally a brew from Magic Hat that I can take a liking to! Under the cap it read: “It’s easy to talk and say nothing at the same time.” The body is light with a very smooth texture. Good notes of dark chocolate, caramel, and coffee are in both aroma and flavor of this beer. Easy drinker to pair up with a good burger or some smoked brats.

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.6%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear black colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, dark chocolate, coffee
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off dry and slightly chalky, slight hint of tobacco

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Real Ale Coffee Porter
Real Ale Brewing Company | Blanco, Texas USA

Style: Porter

A somewhat good porter but comes across a tad bit thin and watery. Aromas and flavors of semi-sweet chocolates, weak coffee, and toffee. Starts and finishes off rather dry with some long-lingering notes of vanilla and coffee. Truly a porter with ’chugger’ qualities.

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.6%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly tan colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, toffee
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty with long-lasting vanilla aftertaste

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer
Tommyknocker Brewery | Idaho Springs, Colorado USA

Style: Porter

Tasty and enjoyable, this porter is an easy drinker. Good flavors/aromas of honey, caramel and cocoa powder (but nothing overpowering). Great pub fare with some salty/spicy mixed roasted nuts. Only other pairing I would suggest would be to pour this over some mint chocolate chip ice cream and enjoy a good dessert float.

Bier Shop: Dr. Jeckyll’s Beer Lab – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.7%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly tan colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, coffee, cocoa powder, honey
Palate – light/medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty with long-lasting semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Dunkler Bock

Grab ya some homemade vanilla ice cream, pour this brew over it and enjoy yourself one tasty float! Loaded with flavors of chocolate, this brew really comes off like a rich chocolate malt with a slight kick. Makes for a great midday dessert sipper. As the brew warms there is a very nice fruity/tart hint of cherries.

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear amber/brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, vanilla, plums
Palate – light/medium bodied; creamy texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off malty/semi-sweet with long-lasting chocolate malt and cherries aftertaste

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote