View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #321
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Fruit beer

Like biting into a fresh cherry pie. A wee bit too fruity for my tastes but those into fruity beers will enjoy this one. Crisp and refreshing for those into this type of brew. However, it is just too fruity for my taste and preferences.

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.3%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly/creamy white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy golden-yellow colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – fruits (cherries)
Palate – light bodied; slick texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off tart/fruit; finished off tart/fruity with long-lasting aftertaste of cherries and wheat

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Boulevard Nommo Dubbel (Smokestack Series #15)
Boulevard Brewing Co. | Kansas City, Missouri USA

Style: Abbey Dubbel

Venison round-steaks, garlic taters, and a Boulevard Nommo dubbel! Oh how heavenly!! Now to the brew!… Loads of caramel and hearty holiday spices (coriander, cinnamon, banana) helps make this brew something worthwhile for the holidays! Drinking this one at a warmer temp (not right out of the fridge!) helps one to enjoy this brew at its fullest! Oh to have this one fresh on tap!!!

Bier Shop: Lone Star Beverages – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 8.1%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy/bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; dark amber colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – bread, caramel, roasted grains, molasses, raisins, bananas, coriander, cinnamon, light alcohol
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = medium
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off dry, malty/semi-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, lamb, pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Avery The Beast Grand Cru
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Belgian Strong Ale

Definitely THE top dark Belgian strong ale in my book! After savoring the last of the Demons of Ale series from Avery Brewing, I can state for the record that I saved the best for last! This is a massive brew both in texture and taste; truly meant to be savored slowly and all by itself. The warming effects from the hefty ABV are truly wonderful. Definitely the PERFECT nightcap!

Bier Shop: Lone Star Beverages – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 16.83%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark brown with reddish hues colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, light alcohol, brown sugar, dates, plums, prunes, raisins
Palate – full bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off dry, malty/semi-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs

Bell’s The Oracle
Bell’s Brewery, Inc. | Kalamazoo, Michigan USA

Style: Imperial/Double IPA

Rich and intense – this is one delicious brew! Loads of ruby red grapefruit scents and flavors from beginning to end on this brew. This flavorful beverage starts off with a well-balanced set of maltiness and hoppiness and then settles down to a dry, slightly hoppy/bitter finish with a long-lasting aftertaste of grapefruit, roasted pine nuts and just a slight hint of warm caramel. My thanks to Larry for this exceptional gift!! Some oysters and mussels would pair up wonderfully with this brew!!

Bier Shop: Received as a gift!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 10.4%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – candy sugars, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine, floral hops
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty/hoppy; finished off dry, hoppy
Pairing Recommendations - beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, burgers, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote