View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #320
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Samuel Adams Boston Lager
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Vienna

I’m not too found of this brew. Rather bland in both flavor and aroma. I would say that of the Sam Adams line-up that I have tasted, this one is ranked right near the bottom (in my opinion). There is a lot of boasting and bragging about the choice ingredients being used, the time involved in the special processes, and the cost of those choice ingredients. Given that sort of word play and one would think they would be savoring a most delicious brew; but in the case, at least for me, the brew did not live up to the hype.

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average rocky off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear amber/brown colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – sweet malts; spicy/bitter hops; lots of grainy notes
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off sweet; finished off bitter and spicy with a long-lasting hoppy/grainy aftertaste

Rating: 2 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
Tommyknocker Brewery | Idaho Springs, Colorado USA

Style: Brown Ale

Immerse your taste buds into some maple sweetness! Light bodied and easy on the palate. Full of flavors and aromas of nutty, maple syrup (duh!). Not sure I would pair this with anything (except pancakes!) due to the sweetness of this brew. But a good drinker for those looking for something light and sweet.

Bier Shop: Dr. Jeckyll’s Beer Lab – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, maple syrup, nutty
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty/sweet; finished off malty/sweet with long-lasting notes of roasted nuts and maple syrup

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

Widmer Brothers Reserve Lemongrass Wheat Ale
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company | Portland, Oregon USA

Style: Wheat Ale / Wheatwine

Quite an interesting wheat ale! I’m digging the combination of lemongrass and muscat grape juice in this brew. Tart and tangy; I have visions of various seafood dishes running through my mind right now!! Don’t ask for recommendations; just buy a bunch of bottles of this brew and come on over for a feast! This is a brew truly made to pair up with some succulent food; by itself it is good but just needs something to go along with it.

Bier Shop: Wine Styles – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 9%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy yellow/orange colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – loads (but not overbearing) of lemongrass
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off tart/sweet; finished off tart/sweet with long-lasting lemongrass and wheat notes
Pairing Recommendations – fish/seafood, pasta (seafood), pork, poultry, salmon, shellfish, wild upland fowl

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Samuel Adams Imperial Series – Imperial White
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Witbier

Truly taking a witbier to a whole new level! Robust, flavorful and definitely a pairing with some of my shellfish dinners! This witbier is truly pushing the boundaries of either the trappist dubbels or tripels! Go slow on this brew and enjoy it to its fullest!

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 10.3%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy orangish-amber colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – oranges, coriander, banana
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy (go slow and enjoy this one the right way)
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off malty
Pairing Recommendations – fish/seafood, pork, poultry, shellfish, wild upland fowl

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote