View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #319
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Samuel Adams Holiday Porter
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Porter

Now this is a good holiday brew from BBC! I would recommend this as a good starter or segway brew for those that have not dabbled with porters. Very tasty and quite filling; wouldn’t mind seeing this in its own 6-pack rather than in the holiday mix-case (as some of those others just aren’t to my liking). Nice long-lasting chocolaty aftertaste with just a hint of roasted nuts.

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average frothy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, roasted grains, nutty
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty with notes of chocolate, roasted nuts, toffee, and dark syrup; finished off dry and malty

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Boulevard Nutcracker Ale (2011)
Boulevard Brewing Co. | Kansas City, Missouri USA

Style: English Strong Ale

A good complex beer that offers up a good array of holiday flavors! There’s a nice citrusy-hoppy snap at first followed up by a soothing/warming effect of the malts (bringing in some flavors of caramel and warm/toasted bread). This is one of those brews that becomes more appreciable as it slowly warms up. Don’t rush! Slow down and enjoy this beer to its fullest.

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.9%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; murky copper colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, nutty, grapefruit, lemon, grass, brown sugar
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off dry, spicy and slightly bitter; finished off dry, hoppy, and slightly sweet with long-lasting lingering of grapefruit

Choc Winter Stout
Krebs Brewing Co / Choc Brewing Co. | Krebs, Oklahoma USA

Style: Stout

What a good stout for the winter! Oh you can have it any time but it’s a good brew to push away that wintry chill! Quite a nice blend of hops in this stout and it creates a flavor that is truly unique! As the brew slowly warms those flavors just deliciously intensify! Enjoy some (responsibly) today!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 6.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) huge creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear black colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – oaky/woody, chocolate, coffee, pine
Palate – medium bodied; thick texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty

Urthel Vlaemse Bock
De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) | Ruiselede, Belgium

Style: Abbey Dubbel

What an awesome brew! Fruity, sour, sweet – very complex! Let this one warm just a tad for some really intriguing flavors! Truly a brew to be enjoyed throughout the year but my favorite time of the year is Fall and Winter alongside some tasty rum-coated fruit cake (call me weird but it is divine). Grab a bottle and share some with your friends!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 7.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; murky brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, herbs, oaky/woody, vanilla, raisins, cherries, honey
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off fruity, sour, sweet with oaky notes and light alcohol with vanilla, caramel, toffee, and cherries; finished off dry and semi-sweet with light alcohol and long-lasting oaky aftertaste
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, lamb, pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc.), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote