View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #318
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Widmer Brothers Brrr Seasonal Ale
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company | Portland, Oregon USA

Style: Amber Ale

Strong flavors and aromas of hops and candy caramel. One of the smoothest and easiest drinking (almost too easy) winter brews I have tasted. Definitely a prime choice for those holiday parties. Not heavy and certainly to compliment well with ham or wild game dinners!

Bier Shop: Wine Styles – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 7.2%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear dark amber colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grapefruit, pine
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – started off hoppy & malty with hints of caramel, plums, raisins, grapefruit; finished off dry, malty and slightly bitter; long-lasting aftertaste of toffee and good warming effects from the alcohol.

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Harpoon Winter Warmer
Harpoon Brewery | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Spice Beer

Not a bad tasting spiced beer. Comes off spicy and sweet on top of a thin texture and light-bodied brew. Although ’winter warmer’ by name, this brew is truly a spiced beer but it’s not a bad one to try at least once.

Bier Shop: Wine Styles – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.5%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – bread, caramel, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg
Palate – light bodied; smooth/thin texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts and finishes off dry, spicy and sweet; long-lasting aftertaste of brown sugar and vanilla

Samuel Adams Winter Lager
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Spiced Beer

Not a bad spiced lager. Subtle aromas and flavors of vanilla, caramel, herbal hops, and toasted malts. Very easy on my ’drinkability scale’; almost too easy as I fought the urge to chug this one down. Would make for a suitable winter brew to stock up on for those holiday parties. Again not bad but certainly not one that I would eagerly await the next release of!!

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.6%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear dark amber with ruby hued body; sparse lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, toasted malts, herbal hops, vanilla, cinnamon
Palate – light bodied; slick texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off slightly spicy and hoppy with notes of caramel, orange and cinnamon; finished off semi-sweet with long-lasting wheat aftertaste.

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Spiced beer

I think I have determined that ginger and me just don’t agree. Aside from the ginger, this brew is on the ’weak’ side for my preferences. Thin and watery and a chugger in my book. Add in the ginger characteristics and I’m just not too fond of this brew.

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.9%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, cinnamon
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty with notes of chocolate, raisins, orange, and cinnamon; finished off semi-sweet.

Rating: 2 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote