View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #317
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Ridgeway Reindeer’s Revolt
Ridgeway Brewing | South Stoke, United Kingdom (England)

Style: English Strong Ale

What looked somewhat appealing turned into quick dismay upon tasting. Lackluster in both aroma and flavor – very thin and a weak old caramel candy taste. I was thinking of purchasing the holiday variety pack but am now seriously reconsidering. Truly not inclined to class this one up with other English strong ales.

Bier Shop: H-mart (Korean grocery store) – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 6%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that dissipated very quickly; hazy copper colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – very weak; bread, caramel, nuts, toffee
Palate – light bodied; thin texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off and finishes off very weak; malty through and through; caramel and toffee notes throughout

Rating: 2 out of 5 mugs

=========================

Stone Double Bastard Ale
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA

Style: American Strong Ale

What an awesome American strong ale! Bold, intense and intrinsically delicious! Caramel, roasted pine nuts, burnt sugars and a light punch of alcohol make for an abundantly smooth, slow-drinkin’ beer! Starts off malty & spicy and then settles down to a dry malty finish with some long-lasting caramel in the aftertaste. Not too sweet. Not too hoppy. Just right!!

Bier Shop: Lone Star Beverages – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 10.5%
IBU – CLASSIFIED (seriously! it’s that way on their website!)
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly/creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark copper colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass
Aroma – burnt sugar, caramel, grapefruit, light alcohol, pine
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty and spicy with notes of caramel and grapefruit; finished off dry and malty
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Founders Backwoods Bastard
Founders Brewing Company | Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Fan-freakin-tastic! Of the Scotch Ales (a.k.a. Wee Heavy) that I have tasted, this one is one of the best!! My thanks to Larry for the gift of this fine brew as I can’t find it in my area and we need to start carrying it! Wonderful scents of robust bourbon, dark fruits and vanilla. Gimme a case of these and leave me alone! Go easy on this brew as the alcohol is so well hidden. Some smoked venison or wild boar fajitas would pair oh so well!

Bier Shop: Received as a gift from Larry!!

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 10.2%
IBU – 50
Appearance – (from a slow pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear ruby-brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass
Aroma – bread, caramel, cocoa powder, alcohol, vanilla, apples
Palate – medium bodied; slick/smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off malty-sweet with notes of cocoa, bread, caramel, apples; finished off dry and malty-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, fish/seafood, lamb, salmon, venison, wild boar

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (2011)
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

(2011 release) Wonderfully hoppy with a smooth undertone of warm caramel candy. It has a very nice hoppy punch at first but it mellows out quickly with some long-lasting malty sweetness. Definitely a great brew for the fall/winter seasons. Make this one part of your winter holiday repertoire!

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 6.8%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slow diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grapefruit, pineapple, pine
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off hoppy with grapefruit/pineapple; finished off slightly sweet with long-lasting malty notes
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote