View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #309
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Joseph James Red Fox
Joseph James Brewing Inc. | Henderson, Nevada USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

First stout I have poured that did not go to a head! This is also my first brew to try from the state of Nevada. On its own this brew has some fine qualities in both taste and aroma (smooth, full of dark chocolate and strong coffee) but somewhat lacking in texture (quite thin) when compared to other brews in the Russian imperial stout style. The alcohol is very well hidden (9% ABV) but it is still there so enjoy responsibly! One interesting note is the thin sheen on top of the beer; at times it forms intricate designs that a barista would make on your cappuccino!

=========================

Summit Winter Ale
Summit Brewing Company | St. Paul, Minnesota USA

Style: English Strong Ale

Ohhh my this is one delicious brew!! Complexity in flavors makes this one a truly superb sipping brew! Very easy on the palate but go slow and enjoy this brew. Surely one of the best offerings from the Summit Brewery line-up. A delicious lingering of cocoa in the aftertaste as well. One of the best English strong ales (ESAs) that I have savored in quite a while!

Summit Silver Anniversary Ale
Summit Brewing Company | St. Paul, Minnesota USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

Truly one of the most complex, well-balanced IPAs that I have yet to savor! A BIG smack in the mouth from the hoppy hit up front but it is quickly smoothed down a notch from the sweet caramel undertones. A fine brew that I would quickly pair up with some oysters and mussels. The finish on this beer can be described as crisp, clean, bold and refreshing. This 25th anniversary ale is one that comes highly recommended! Summit truly has some fine brews in their line-up! As this brew slowly warms the flavors become more enjoyable.

Deschutes Inversion IPA
Deschutes Brewery | Bend, Oregon USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

Another fine brew in the Deschutes line-up! This IPA puts out a hearty punch from the hops and then mellows it out from the sweet malts. The finish keeps lingering with a slight bitter bite intermingled with sweet caramel and lemons. Deliciously flavorful and very aromatic. Quality brews such as this will surely make a hop-loving beer enthusiast out of me in no time!

These and many more beer reviews (including 'beer-nerd' details about each brew) are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote