View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #305
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Avery Hog Heaven
Boulder, Colorado USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Barleywine

Numero 2 of the “Holy Trinity of Ales” from Avery that I have savored! The first (‘The Reverend’) is to be revered. The second (‘Hog Heaven’) makes me want to jump up and yell, “Woo Pig Sooie!!” (Yeah, I’m showing my Arkansas lineage, I know!!) The flavor is complex yet subtle and although it doesn’t show in the taste, the alcohol is there and will sneak up on ya sooner than you’d expect! Can’t wait to try the last ale of the ‘Trinity’, Salvation!!

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Brooklyn Brewery | Brooklyn, New York USA
Not purchased; received as a gift.

Style: Imperial Stout

Definitely a brew to stock and cellar for a few years! Chocolate, espresso, alcohol … need I say more?! Of the Brooklyn Brewery line-up, this stout takes top place (IMO)! Let this one warm a bit so that the flavors and aromas are much more intensified. This is one intense dessert brew! Just watch that ABV count because the sweetness of this brew hides that alcohol very well!!

Krombacher Weizen
Krombacher Brauerei | Kreuztal-Krombach, Germany

Style: Hefeweizen

Not a bad ‘hefe’ but definitely not one of the better ones that I have tasted. Very thin and watery in texture and very, very tart from start to finish. Nicely aromatic but the taste and texture just aren’t up to par in my opinion in this brew.

Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen
Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG | München, Germany

Style: Oktoberfest/Marzen

Very crisp and wonderfully refreshing and not a bad tasting oktoberfest/marzen from Germany. If I were to pick a brew in this style to serve as the baseline comparison model, it would be this brew. Loaded with flavors of doughy yeast and sweet caramel. A great starter brew for those that have not dabbled in the oktoberfest/marzen style of beer.

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote