View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
DoubleJ

LSBA Region: 78

The email format goes like this:

mark.homer@house.state.tx.us

Here is a copy of the letter I sent each of the members:

In 1975 there was an agreement made between the bowhunters of Texas and the legislature that in exchange for a fee (the archery stamp) the bowhunters would have a season established for archery only hunting. This effort resulted in the establishment of the Special Archery Season and the birth of the Lone Star Bowhunter Association (LSBA).

Since that time there have been numerous attempts to open the season to other forms of hunting such as muzzleloaders, crossbows, and rifles. Each time the LSBA has had to defend the agreement that was made. This is another one of those attempts.
The LSBA opposes the provisions of HB 968 which will allow the use of crossbows during the Special Archery Season. Crossbows are not recognized as archery equipment. By their own admission crossbow manufacturers boast that their equipment shoots “like a gun.” If you need confirmation of that fact please take a moment to view the video at: The LSBA is not opposed to the use of crossbows for hunting. The current regulations which allow the use of crossbows during the General Season and by upper limb handicapped persons during the Special Archery Season are adequate and are strongly supported by the LSBA. The only people who will benefit from this change to the regulation will be the crossbow manufacturers and a minimal number of hunters who will choose to hunt with them.
There will be an argument made it will increase opportunities for women and children to hunt during archery season. This argument was rendered mute when the Texas Parks and Wildlife (TPW) Commissioners eliminated the minimum draw weight for archery equipment last March. In fact I have heard several success stories from this past season of kids as young as 7 taking deer with archery equipment.

There will be an argument made that it will increase license sales. I seriously doubt that. I believe the majority of the people that will be hunting with crossbows in the Special Archery Season will be folks that will also be hunting with guns during the General Season and who would have bought a license anyway. I have talked with TPW and they have no way of accurately determining the impact on license sales aside from a guess. My guess is that there will be no increase in the number of new hunters and NO increase in license sales. There exists no army of potential new crossbow hunters. The truth is that the only ones desiring this measure are rifle hunters who just want to hunt in the October SPECIAL ARCHERY SEASON, but who won’t learn to shoot a bow!!

The original agreement was crafted by a lot of hard work from dedicated bowhunters and legislators. The LSBA is asking you to honor their efforts and reject HB 968.

Sincerely,

Jack Jetton
President
Lone Star Bowhunter Association
281-910-1432

Just remember to remain respectful in your letters and phone calls.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote