View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
Pick A Spot

Default Hb 968

I've sent numerous copies of the following letter out today. I did this fairly quick and I'm sure it could have been better. My letter took into consideration it's intended audience.

Dear Representative,
As a lifelong resident and sportsman of the great state of Texas I respectfully request that you do not pass HB 968 that would allow the use of crossbows during the archery only season. I realize that some, mostly crossbow manufactures and others who would gain financially support this bill. My position has nothing to do with the dollar and all to do with the original intent of the archery season, tradition and safety.
The original purpose of our archery only season was simply to allow a window of time within the hunting season to allow those with archery equipment to take to the field with equipment that required a great deal of knowledge, practice and dedication to be successful. Equipment has and will continue to improve but the basic underlying requirement is that archery equipment allowed during this special season needs to continue to require that it be hand-drawn and held. Sights, camouflage, composite arrows all improve performance but the overwhelming challenge remains in the fact that the weapon has to be hand-drawn and held in the presence of game.
All sports have seen technological advancements over the years that would change the sport as we know it. For example, aluminum baseball bats would certainly cause more homeruns, improve stats and possibly make the professional baseball games more exciting but we know that the overwhelming desire and remaining rule is to disallow them. You simply cannot compare the player using the wooden bat to one that would be allowed to use an aluminum bat. In football they could lower and widen the goal post for more successful field goals, basketball could have a larger hoop and the list could go on.
The archery season was created by and has been supported by men and women who worked hard for a season of limited equipment advancements to keep the season as it were intended. Please do not allow a piece of equipment although it has “bow” within its name to totally change the spirit of this season’s purpose. A crossbow can be a very dangerous weapon in the hands of inexperienced hunters who have no need to obtain knowledge and skills for proficiency. I do not want to think of the possibility of making my way to my hunting blind in the early morning darkness knowing that an inexperienced hunter or child could very well be in the same woods with a new crossbow capable of firing a short and deadly bolt (arrow) with nothing but the skills of pulling the trigger. The crossbows capabilities are more in line with a firearm. Do we really want to arm those in the archery season who do not feel it necessary or desirable to obtain the skills to shoot a hand-draw be it traditional or modern bow?
Again, I respectfully request that you preserve our archery only season and continue to limit the crossbow to the firearms season or to those with limited disabilities. HB 968 would destroy the purpose, history and tradition of the archery season for the many Texas bowhunters.
Regards,
Marty Patterson
Cypress, Texas

Last edited by Pick A Spot; 02-21-2009 at 02:10 PM..
Pick A Spot is offline   Reply With Quote