View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #295
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Full Sail Bump in the Night
Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub | Hood River, Oregon USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Black IPA

Looks can be so deceiving! Especially when one has high hopes set for a Black IPA! To say the least, this brew was lackadaisical in flavor and texture. To be honest it was so bland I did not finish it off. The texture was way too think for my liking; the flavors were not as robust as anticipated either. I am really hoping I just received an “off” bottle since this one did not impress me in any way; may try another one later on.

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Ska Pinstripe Red Ale
Ska Brewing Co. | Durango, Colorado USA

Style: Amber Ale

My first brew to try from Ska Brewing and, sadly, this one doesn’t hold up all too well. When compared to other red ales, this one falls short (in my opinion) of the red ale standards as there are far better choices of red ales out there. Not much to rant about when it comes to scent and flavor of this brew; I mean it’s basically a beer with no outstanding characteristics. I do hope that other brews in their line-up help change my first impressions.

Abita Jockamo IPA
Abita Brewing Co. | Abita Springs, Louisiana USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

Not a bad rendition of an American IPA! Full of flavor (honey, grapefruit, orange), aromatic and darned good to look at (and drank!!). I can see a lot of future pairings of this brew and some blackened catfish or other spicy meals that I like to cook up! Easy to drink and not filling by any stretch. Serve it up as cold as you can get it but the flavors do intensify as the brew warms up.

Unibroue Ephemere (green apple)
Unibroue | Chambly, Quebec (Canada)
Purchased @ Kegs & Barrels - Plano, Texas USA

Style: Fruit Beer

Finally! A fruit beer with some substance! If you are going to dabble in fruit beers, dabble in one that just plain ol’ tastes great! Of the Ephemere line of fruit beers from Unibroue, there a few flavored choices: apple, cassis/black currant, or framboise. This particular brew was the green apple and my goodness how tasty it was! There’s a good solid sweet/tart flavor that lasts from start to finish; powerful yet not overbearing. Makes for an excellent dessert brew!

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote