View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Curtis

Well I had a good conversation with these people today. I don't agree 100% with their views on it so I pretty much just wished them the best of luck with it and gave them some names of some other ranches to try and get involved.

I really would have liked to work with this group if it was more family based but some of the reasons they gave me for what they were doing just didn't feel right. It kind of made me feel like there was some kind of hidden ajenda other and not just its face value.

The things they wanted me to do were not something I totally agreed with and I talked them about that and they asked me what I would like to try and they didn't agree with doing it that way. It was kind like beating heads together but producing nothing.

I told them I would rather work with something that was fully family based. The attitude of some of the guys was pretty disturbing to me. One of the men that was talking with me said that he felt that women had no place outdoors and that was just the men's thing to do. I asked him where the stuff is for the women to do and he kind just huffed his breath about it and shrugged.

I pretty much disagreed to that. I felt I had to. I take my daughter hunting and she loves it. It meant so much to me I even wrote an little story about it a few years ago about a turkey hunt we did together. I really felt I would have been a hipocrit to go do something like that with people that felt differently than I on this subject. I know its important to teach kids outdoors, but this group made me feel that it was teaching it was only good for the men and boys to go do it. How would that have made my daughter think of me? Yeah she's 8 now and my son 6. I want to do something that involves them as much as possible. Especially with outdoors activities and especially hunting because that is what they want to do with me every time I go out.

Afterwards I had a hard time thinking what my family would think about this. So I approached my wife and talked it over with her. She seemed to kind of feel the same way I do about it. We would both rather be involved with something that our kids could mentor us on. I dont want kids thinking there is hunting and outdoors stuff to do that is OK for dad only and not for mom or the kids. Its just not what I think is for me.

So I had to say no. Maybe I will get my "man card" revoked for that I don't know. I hated that we couldn't see eye to eye on some of the things but a lot of the stuff that was very important to me in values in ethics and and how a person should be was not there from what I had seen. This group really hasn't even come up with a name yet to call their operation so I don't know how far they will go. It seems they got the money to back up what they are doing.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote