View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #227
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Stone Imperial Russian Stout (2011 Classic Release)
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

ABV - 10.5%

This is definitely one of the finest tasting RIS I have enjoyed in quite a while! This brew poured up a black colored body with a billowy tan-colored head that dissipated rather quickly but left moderate lacing. Aromas of roasted coffee beans, dark fruits, burnt sugar, and sweet malts. The body is rich and thick and loaded with sweet malts. Moderate on the carbonation with flavors of coffee, dark fruits, brown sugar, dark chocolate. This brew continues to improve on flavors the more it warms up. Generally with stouts I will take it out of the refrigerator and open; then let sit for 45 minutes to an hour so that it can ‘breathe’ and warm up; the flavors and scents just abound when you enjoy it this way! The finish has just the right amount of hops to sneak in with just a nip before giving way to lingering flavors of roasted malts and dark semi-sweet chocolates. By far this is my most-preferred brew from the Stone line-up!

Pairing Recommendations: beef, buffalo, dove, ducks, geese, squirrel, venison, wild boar

Disclaimer: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of this beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice them to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure.
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote