View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #59
Roscoe

LSBA Region: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquitecountry View Post
More of the same "me" comes first.
The "me" accusation is getting old. While it certainly may apply to some, to paint the whole archery community as such is unfair. I could just as easily say it's a "me first" thing that has parents seriousily slacking in the area of taking their children hunting during rifle season or it's "me first" that has some lease groups and landowners not allowing children to hunt outside the youth weekend, if they even allow kids to hunt at all. It's all un-productive "chatter" though.

The only reason I picked up a bow as a young adult in the first place was to spend more time in the woods hunting. There was never a point that I felt slighted or thought, "Those dang bowhunters gettin a head start...." I just picked up a bow and got after it. And during the many years where I quit bowhunting and only rifle hunted, I never had a problem with it either.

If bow season is open to youth rifle, what incentive will there be for youth to take up bow hunting? Most people and hunters basically tend to take the easiest route. I firmly believe that if a dedicated archery season is not kept in place, a SERIOUS decline in bowhunting will result over time. What a shame that would be.

I wonder how long behind this will come the push to open the general season Oct 1st?

I don't know what the long-term answer is to hunting particapation. I do not want to see the doing away with a dedicated archery season a part of the solution. This may go against the grain, but given the choice, I would rather see archery only be the last month of the season than give it up all together.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote