View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #51
BearOmni

LSBA Region: 77
Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesquitecountry View Post
I keep repeating myself. The point is to give them a head start BEFORE everyone else.
Point taken, but your line of reason doesnt make much sense to me.
If we are to give them a head start BEFORE everyone else then October isnt the answer. They will be hunting with someone else, BOW HUNTERS.
If you are saying they need a head start before the other GUN hunters, then maybe we should suggest that November 1st through 10th be youth only.
With all the talk of selfishness, why cant gun hunters give up 10 days of their 3 months? (or more if they are MLD) Why should bow hunters, who have "bought" the right to have a month to themselves without gun fire be asked to give that up?

Quote:
It is my opinion that a bow is not efficient enough to kill a deer with a bow that is less than 40#'s. If it is questionable then why let them shoot a deer and wound it. Then you have lost a deer and you have a disappointed hunter.
I'll never tell someone their opinion is wrong, but I can and will disagree with it.
The state says a bow less than 40# is legal to use.
The state says you must be 16 to drive, 18 to vote, 21 to drink, and you cant deer hunt with a rim fire rifle.
We must accept those rules and follow them. If you dont agree with a rule or law then you must get active and change it, but dont base an entire argument off the fact that the law doesnt reflect your opinion.

Quote:
With regards to big game. A gun is much more efficient killing a big game animal. A .243 that is low recoil stands a much better chance at killing a deer than a 20 or 30# compound. It is about respect for the game and providing a clean kill.
Again, I see this as a parental responsibility. The parent must judge when a child is at what they feel is a proper draw weight.

Personally I feel if a child cant hold, steady, aim, and fire a gun without any help from someone they are not ready to gun hunt.

A child that is strong enough to do those things with a gun, is a child who can shoot a bow with enough #'s to kill a deer. It just takes practice and dedication.
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote