View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77

Our ride took us way into the mountains of South Africa. The Badger Bush Lodge was wonderful and very accommodating. Jacques and Laurie were fantastic hosts. A couple of mounts from the restaurant~

We shared a two bedroom chalet with our PH, Tetrius. We unpacked and headed out to our concession to try and get Bobby onto an Eland and a Kudu. The next concession at which we hunted.

We hunted in an elevated blind this time. It was pretty squeaky and there were four of us in it, so quarters were very tight. I was after an Impala. Bobby found out that he would only be able to take a Kudu at this particular concession. Frustration!

We saw a lot of animals, including Zebra, Eland, Duiker, Impala, Kudu and Wildebeest. There were lots of game at this concession. Bobby pasted on all the Kudu as he was looking for one over 50". I had one mature Impala come in, but was not able to get a shot with all of the other animals at the watering hole. It offered a quartering toward shot only, so I had to pass.

Back to Badger Bush Lodge for Shepard’s Pie, green salad and stuff squash. It was a fantastic meal. We also did a little shopping in the gift shop and played a couple of games of pool.

The next morning, we traveled to a different concession to hunt. This concession was in Thabazimbi. We were met by Villiam, his son, Villiam, and Peter. They were extremely nice and helpful. Their concession contained a huge, steep mountain. We were taken to the blinds.

Water buck does

There was not a lot happening, so Villiam and Peter came and picked us up for some Safari Style hunting. We road in the back of the truck as the PHs looked for game. We headed up the tall, steep mountain, which was the epitome of the South African Bush. It was thick and sharp.

We saw some Blesbuck and Tetrius wanted me to take a shot at one. I got out of the truck, but the bush was thick. Shots were difficult. I finally was able to take a down hill shot and as to be expected on this trip, I shot completely over him. More frustration! We stayed after him, but the big, red rocks were hard to maneuver down. I pretty sure I left some skin and hide on that mountain.

Then we saw a Bushbuck. They are absolutely beautiful! We stalked it down the hill for awhile, but I was never able to get a clear shot at him. Once we hit the road again, we walked back to the truck. Bobby had seen the Kudu bull, but could not get a shot at him. We proceeded up the mountain and located them not far from the top. He was standing there quite majestically offering an almost perfect broadside shot. That almost was a little limb, which was in the way if you are 6'1" and by the time Bobby kneeled to take the shot, he was walking away. Tetrius and Bobby got out to make the stalk. They could not close the distance, so loaded up for the top of the mountain to enjoy the view.

On the way down, we encountered the Kudu again and Bobby and the PH decided to stalk. While they were stalking, Villiam, his son and Peter showed me some of the local horticulture and scenes.

I did not get a picture of it, but there is a tree called a Paperbark Tree. It’s bark flakes off in light colored ultra thin strips. It is like paper and you can actually write on it. It was very impressive!

We met Bobby and Tetrius on the other side of the mountain, still with no Kudu. However, they had come across a poached Wildebeest, which had only been dead a day or so. It had a snare around its leg and the snare was attached to a tree. Very sad!

I took a couple more shots which went high on a couple of Blesbuck. By this time, I am extremely frustrated. We get back to our blind and pull out the bale of hay on which we had been sitting, so I can site my bow back in. I was finally able to get my bow sighted back in and the last shot, I put my arrow through a coke bottle cap. I was feeling much better!! We left Bobby and Tetrius at the blind and I went with Peter. We did a little more safari style riding and I took a long shot at an Impala. It was 32 yards and the Impala proved to be much faster than my 450 grain arrow. However, the good news is that my bow and arrow performed as they should! Bobby had passed on some Kudu which were less than 50". Again, we left that concession with no down animals. The end of our hunting time in South Africa was growing near.

That evening, we moved back to the BJF Lodge and would be hunting the Calali Bush Lodge the next day. That evening, we feasted on T-bones and baked potatoes. We met the Reps for PSE, Justin, and Grim Reaper, Matt. They both had been having successful hunts and would be hunting the Calali the next day.

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote