View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #17
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

OK I'm reposting as I discovered the second page.
Duh.

I agree with a lot of the comments above in terms of a lease manager.

For $2,700/bowhunter Chunky's question as to whether they have that many trophy bucks or not is really valid. I might also add these:

1. What does he consider a cull? I know one lease that called any 8 pt a cull. They had some 140 class eights.

2. Is this a year round lease? By that does it include hog? Javelina? Dove, quail, etc. Is it ok to shoot predators (bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions)

3. Any accomodations and other amenities?

4. Also I think that Chunky raised a good point about the term. Would this be a year to year lease or would he consider a longer term like five years? I know that many ranchers don't want to commit too long, but if the ranch has been hunted hard and after a few years of bowhunting big bucks start appearing, someone might chase the bowhunters off with big bucks of their own. The deal has to work for both.

If it's a good lease with a fair chance for a trophy buck and with a chance for long term management it could be a really good deal. Leases in Dimmit are not cheap. To me it depends though on the items above.

Last edited by Tomme; 06-25-2008 at 09:20 PM..
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote