Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is your opinion... (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1210)

txhunter 12-12-2007 08:03 AM

What is your opinion...

on scent control? Everyone has their different views on the importance of scent conrtol. Some hunters go to great extremes to try and reduce the odor of everything. Others don't put any effort into it. I would like to know where everyone stands and why they believe and do what they do to control their human scent.

Hot4huntin 12-12-2007 11:00 AM

I'm a scent control freak!!! Wash my clothes in scent free detergent, dirt smell dry sheet, everything in my huge camo bag, scent free deodorent, scent free spray, scent blocker suit always on front of 4-wheeler to avoid the exhaust, put my scent blocker suit on over my scent-free clothes when I park, spray my boots and hair with scent free spray, put my enduro skin scent controled face mask on and then my hood to my scent blocker suit, spray the inside of my blind with scent free stuff, spray vanilla mixture around and keep Tink's scent sticks in my blind. Oh, and hopefully, I will have the wind in my favor.

biggen 12-12-2007 11:29 AM

Ditto Dena!!

stonecold 12-12-2007 01:12 PM

ditto what Dena does plus i take the NULLO deodorant pills...

Bill M 12-12-2007 05:14 PM

I stay clean, use some scent killer on my clothes and use the wind as much as possible. That's about it.

I believe that scent control really depends on what smells are in the area where you hunt. There was a thread over at tbh about using smoke for scent mask. I smell wood smoke from campfires and home fireplaces around here all the time and so do the deer so it would make sense to use that. Are the deer used to fossil fuel exhaust smells? I think you really need to know your area and the different odors that are present there and what the deer may smell all the time.

Chew 12-14-2007 12:41 PM

I started out doing the full scent control regimen. It got to be too much like work. Now I hunt the wind. It's much more enjoyable and it's not the end of the world if you get busted.

Chunky 12-14-2007 01:13 PM

I shower often and try and wear clean cloths for every hunt if possible, but I am like my buddy Chew, I am not as "Dena" about it as I use to be. Always have the good wind and remember it is suppose to be fun, not work.

timhicks 12-14-2007 04:15 PM

I am a scent freak as well..for deer not so much as I am for hogs and trapping..I wash my clothes in scent destroyer,,take a bath in it,,wash my hair before each hunt..
Laredo hunt is a hard one washing my hair in the nights cold air,,but man do I feel better after..

wassaw 12-14-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky (Post 9523)
I am not as "Dena" about it as I use to be.

LOL
that is up there with
"you feel lucky punk"
"I'll Be Back" and
"Yippie Ki Yaa ..."

with the C-C boys on this one. i wash my cloths with baking soda before the hunt and put them in a bag. about the only other thing i do is spray with scent away if i'm sweating after the walk to the blind.

Trailboss 12-16-2007 05:31 PM

Bathe in scent free soap, wash clothes in scent free soap, and then give my clothes and boots a good soaking in Wildlife Research Center Scent Killer when I leave the truck to walk to the stand. Keep a small bottle of Scent Killer in my pack and spray my hat and neck again after getting in the stand if I sweat on the way in.

Trailboss

Eric4x4 12-17-2007 10:13 PM

Just spray down with scent killer before walking to stand, that's it. My lovely wife washes my hunting clothes with all the other laundry i think she uses Tide April Spring.